Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ......
Maryland/Virginia/North Carolina 30 88.24%
Georgia/Alabama/Mississippi 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Tunechi View Post
States that are close in proximity to one another, share a lot of the same traits, and developed the nearly same way.

Folks in MD, VA, and NC have relatives amongst the regions, same as GA/AL/MS.
They also have similar accents IMO.
Stupid statement..I have relatives up and down the East coast, and I am a native Atlantan/Georgian........Accents are totally different from NC to MD...........God, do some research and don't say things you know nothing about.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
I honestly don't think this is a fair comparison. We are conparing primarily urban states to more rural states. On C-D there is an extremely heavy leaning towards urban areas. IMO, none is better than the other. If you prefer urban areas then you'll pick NC/VA/MD. If you like more rural areas, then you'll pick GA/AL/MS. There are areas in both areas I like, and areas in both I don't like. I would pick Atlanta and Birmingham over DC and Roanoke. But I would pick Winston-Salem and Richmond over Huunstville and Jackson.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
I'd prefer MD/VA/NC, I love GA though.

MS & AL don't seem as interesting to me, I've heard MS is a very boring place to live.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
LOLZ, I'm with eek and chiatldal on this.

GA and NC have a closer bond than a GA/AL/MS combination ever will. Residents of Georgia are bitter rivals with Alabama and don't care for Western Alabama, err, Mississippi at all. But NC and GA: we're bros.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Trust me I lived in the Charlotte and Concort area in NC before, GA and NC together makes more sense than GA and AL. Even with being next to each other.
  • Time Zone
  • Colonial history,
  • Atlantic boarding, non gulf states,
  • Piedmont-Blue ridge,
  • Population wise,
  • Sun belt Growth,
  • Diversity
  • the more progressive states in a conservative overrall region
  • and etc.
States Density 2010
VA 202.6 per square mile
NC 196.1 per square mile
GA 168.4 per square mile
SC 153.9 per square mile
AL 94.4 per square mile
US average 87.4 per square mile
MS 63.2 per square mile

The South Atlantic states are also call the New south states, which is contrast to East South Central States like AL and MS refer to as the old south states. If you notice, Richmond, VA Beach-Norfolk, Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro-Winston Salem, Charlotte and Atlanta are all in South Atlantic states. AL has just one major metro that just a million, and MS has none. GA having one major metro too but it's over 5 million, and even without metro Atlanta, GA still will have over 4 million.

Basically if you place GA with NC and etc it will bland right in with the rest of South Atlantic states, but place with AL and MS it will become the elephant in the room. And to make it so bad you thrown in MD, which gives DC and B-more to team up with the NC and VA cities. If you was going cut cultural boundaries like that you could at least thrown Florida to help GA.
I also lived in Charlotte, right before moving here to metro Atlanta, and I actually think one could make a case for GA and AL being paired up. Both are deep South states, have more prominent and similar Civil War and Civil Rights histories, are both similar politically (sorry, but I don't consider GA to be a politically progressive state at all, although its largest city is quite progressive), almost mirror each other topographically, each had two very important Colonial-era cities (Mobile and Savannah), etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

GA and NC have a closer bond than a GA/AL/MS combination ever will. Residents of Georgia are bitter rivals with Alabama and don't care for Western Alabama, err, Mississippi at all. But NC and GA: we're bros.
You said it. I don't mean to be crass but I don't know any Atlantan who'd vacation or live in AL/MS over FLA and SC.

Plus, MS/AL are Gulf over Atlantic.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:34 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Georgia and Alabama are historically quite close, but have really grown apart in the last 50 years imo. Ironically, Georgia's connections with Alabama are largely to the southwest of Atlanta nowadays, around Columbus (the navigable portion of the Chattahoochee). Looking at a map 50 years ago one would have thought that Atlanta and Birmingham would be really connected and interrelated, but it didn't really work out that way (topography presents an issue here).

Birmingham is actually one of the biggest cities in America I haven't been to. I've just never had a reason to go, despite living in Atlanta for most of my life. I've been as far as Anniston/Oxford, and have passed through Huntsville. Montgomery, many times.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alleyne View Post
You said it. I don't mean to be crass but I don't know any Atlantan who'd vacation or live in AL/MS over FLA and SC.
Yeah, but you have to keep in mind that a lot of Atlantans aren't native Georgians either. Even then, to me it seems that there are more native Alabamians and Mississippians living in metro Atlanta than native Floridians and South Carolinians. I realize that's subject to debate, of course, but that seems to have been my experience.

Quote:
Plus, MS/AL are Gulf over Atlantic.
Yeah, but GA's and AL's coastlines are both relatively short and closer in length than GA's and NC's. GA has 100 miles of coastline and AL has 53. NC, on the other hand, has significantly more than both with 301 miles of coastline. Plus both GA and AL have significant port cities (Savannah, Mobile) which were quite prominent in the Colonial era. Wilmington, NC can't really compare in this regard.

Like I also mentioned, GA and AL are almost mirror images of each other topographically speaking, with their similar north/south orientation with mountains in the north and coastal plains in the south:

Also, both states' flagship universities are SEC schools.

I kinda look at it like this: Atlanta is far and away the most dominant city in the SE (outside of South Florida) and so it's an anomaly in that regard. So if you remove Atlanta, does the rest of Georgia look more like Alabama or North Carolina?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i honestly totally forgot about SC...

woops.
Yeah. That happens a lot down here too, except when that "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" business flamed up. All of America dearly loves an inventive new euphemism. Apparently Argentina does as well.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Maybe yes, maybe no.

I grew up in Charlotte, and Charlotte definitely does (or did) have an Atlanta influence. The SW NC mountains, and the Asheville area have some connection as well. When I lived in Charlotte or western NC (mountains), road trips to Atlanta or Athens were regular events.

North and east of the Yadkin River - which would include Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/RTP, Fayetteville, the other military cities down east, Greenville (NC), Wilmington, and The Outer Banks, Georgia - including Atlanta - are FAR less influential than DC. The DC connection to the NC Triangle, RTP and the Universities in particular, all the E NC military towns, and Wilmington and The Outer Banks is very, very strong. The Atlanta connection is close to non-existant. The commingling of universities, tech, biotech, and government in the NC Triangle has a long, deep connection with people and goings on in Washington, in academic, r&d, military and (to a lesser degree) political circles.

There's kind of a NW-to-SE line through NC - divide the state evenly, where the 'influence' of DC, vs the influence of Atlanta both hit their outer limit.

Charlotte, like Atlanta, draws in migrants from all over the country, but other parts of the South are heavily represented. That's part of the commonality.

The Triangle draws in far more of its' migrants (percentage-wise) from the Mid-Atlantic, the Northeast, or overseas (East and South Asia notably), so it has a very different feel than Charlotte (to a small degree), or Atlanta (to a major degree).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City