Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:12 PM

9,419 posts, read 9,416,456 times

Advertisements

This thread really doesnt make sense, the comparison is really odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 08:13 PM

929 posts, read 1,910,062 times
yeah, this is an odd comparison...a better comparison would have been Camden Co., NJ vs. Delaware Co., PA vs. New Castle Co, DE. All have small crime ridden cities in Camden, Chester, and Wilmington, respectively surrounding by middle-upper middle class-upper class suburbia. I personally think Delaware County, PA is the nicest of the 3.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
yeah, this is an odd comparison...a better comparison would have been Camden Co., NJ vs. Delaware Co., PA vs. New Castle Co, DE. All have small crime ridden cities in Camden, Chester, and Wilmington, respectively surrounding by middle-upper middle class-upper class suburbia. I personally think Delaware County, PA is the nicest of the 3.

I agree with Delaware county. It is the most developed, and has some very affluent suburbs and great small towns, and overall great school. I would put New Castly county as th bottom of the 3.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:56 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,736,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree with Delaware county. It is the most developed, and has some very affluent suburbs and great small towns, and overall great school. I would put New Castly county as th bottom of the 3.
Delaware county is kind of dumpy. You got the airport, and it's down-stream from all that industrial run-off. You got alot of crusty poor towns, some of which are very dangerous, Chester being PA's version of Camden. It get's decent further out though, but pretty mcuh everything east of Media is basically suburbia gone horribly wrong, there's about 20 different municipalities in less than a 50sq. mi area. DelCo is also having growth(or lack thereof) issues, because it's ghettos on the east are bleeding population. Somehow though, it's still one of the most republican counties. IMO it still beats Camden co. because It's not in South Jersey.

I don't know that much on Delawre, i've only driven through, so I cn't comment.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Delaware county is kind of dumpy. You got the airport, and it's down-stream from all that industrial run-off. You got alot of crusty poor towns, some of which are very dangerous, Chester being PA's version of Camden. It get's decent further out though, but pretty mcuh everything east of Media is basically suburbia gone horribly wrong, there's about 20 different municipalities in less than a 50sq. mi area. DelCo is also having growth(or lack thereof) issues, because it's ghettos on the east are bleeding population. Somehow though, it's still one of the most republican counties. IMO it still beats Camden co. because It's not in South Jersey.

I disagree entirely. There is a part of Delware county that has crime and bad areas, but by no means the majority of the county. Aston, brookhaven, Wallingford and Swarthmore and Chichester are south of media and they are not ghettos. They are normal suburban towns, and swarthmore is an absolutely beautiful area. Ridley is older, but also not a ghetto and south of media. And Delaaware county still continues to have population growth. You have garnet valley, radnor, chadds ford, swarthmore area, media area, springfield area, upper providence, havorford, and newtown square, those are not old industrial suburbs. Delware county has quite a mix, but it is by no means a dumpy county. It still remains as one of the wealthiest counties in the state, and reasonable in the country, and if that small area of blight were excluded, the remainder of the county would be in the top 20 for wealth in the country.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:54 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,888,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
...and if that small area of blight were excluded, the remainder of the county would be in the top 20 for wealth in the country.
I've wondered this about Camden County before as well. Maybe not top 20 (too much competition from NYC and DC suburbs) but still relatively high up.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:00 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,029,558 times
Quote:

you don't seem to know too much about delaware county either. Delaware county is huge areas are blighted but it's mostly afluent.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,736,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
you don't seem to know too much about delaware county either. Delaware county is huge areas are blighted but it's mostly afluent.
Delaware county-184 sq mi
560,000 ppl.

Not exactly what I would call huge, especially for a county, and the majority of it's population lives in the eastern 1/3rd of the county amongst the Upper Darby, and Chester areas.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,029,558 times
Quote:
Delaware county-184 sq mi
560,000 ppl.

Not exactly what I would call huge, especially for a county, and the majority of it's population lives in the eastern 1/3rd of the county amongst the Upper Darby, and Chester areas.
a half of a million people isn't huge?

the point is a lot of people live in Delaware county and most of them are not poor. even including chester and other very poor parts of the county like darby, sharon hill, colwyn etc delaware county residents still make about 5 grand more than the national average.

i just don't get what you're going on when you say Delaware County is dumpy. everything east of media is garbage? haha ever heard of radnor? the median income for a family there is over 100 grand. springfield? swarthmore? marple? bromall? ridley??? all these places are east of media. all of them are very wealthy towns with good schools.

you're just obviously ill informed. not trying to get into anything with you but you shouldn't just voice an opinion and try and pass it off as fact.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,801,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well I mean take out the main CBDs of Philadelphia and Camden and include the suburbs of Philly county vs Camden county.
Even the areas inside Philadelphia County that are the least dense and furtherest from the downtown core have a different feel from the suburban areas. The suburban countys (4 in Pennsylvania, 3 in New jersey (including Camden County) and 1 in Delaware are broken up into hundreds of little townships that are independent of the city and each other. The neighborhoods inside Philadelphia County that most resemble suburbs are still part of the city with city police, fire protection, schools, taxex etc. These neighborhoods inside Philadelphia County are different (generally) from Camden County and the other sububan counties by having lower property tax, inferior public schools, lower property values and better public transportation, more traffic and congestion overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City