Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 04:00 PM

910 posts, read 2,983,953 times

Advertisements

Greensburg, Indiana. i went to a big boy restaurant and everyone in there had on overalls and had that hillbilly accent. havent seen more hillbillys in one place than that restaurant!!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 AM

208 posts, read 605,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Anybody who thinks PA has hillbilly towns really needs to visit West Virginia.

PA's poor run-down towns PALE in comparison to the third-world stuff you see in the backwoods of West Virginia. Seriously.
While it's true that WV's poverty rate is higher than PA's, that area of southwestern PA (Greene and Fayette counties) bordering on WV is poorer and seems more backward to me. I wouldn't even call that area hillbilly either. Atleast hillbillies are down to earth people. Those people just seemed crude. But the areas of PA bordering on MD are very nice though.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:47 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
that area of southwestern PA (Greene and Fayette counties) bordering on WV is poorer and seems more backward to me. I wouldn't even call that area hillbilly either. Atleast hillbillies are down to earth people. Those people just seemed crude.
That's a good word

Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
This is the secret West Virginia disinformation program. It was developed in the 1930's and is little known. Athough most West Virginians speak fluent French, are accomplished gourmet chefs and can translate hieratic script at a glance, it was decided at the Grand Council in Ripley that, in order to preserve West Virginia and prevent it from becoming like eastern Pennsylvania or northern Virginia an image of sloth and ignorance would be promoted in order to preserve the state. When a lost New York tourist asks a West Virginian for directions the natives say 'Why, hail boy, yer way off track, go back this road a peck and foller the crick bout two mile and yull see thuh turnoff";. He then goes back in his house and tells his missus "le touriste stupide a été perdu", while Cissy practices her Chopin etudes on the pianee.
Ne parlez pas la vérité!!! I don't want those annoying yuppies with their Macbooks, 45 varieties of bottled water, and endless Dave Matthews albums to move here!

He's lying. We rape livestock and whittle away at sticks for hours. Move here and you'll have to suffer the horror of hearing Appalachian accents. Save yourself, don't come here. Ever. It's illegal to wear those thick rimmed black glasses in this state. You'll be executed. Really.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:40 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Ne parlez pas la vérité!!! I don't want those annoying yuppies with their Macbooks, 45 varieties of bottled water, and endless Dave Matthews albums to move here!

He's lying. We rape livestock and whittle away at sticks for hours. Move here and you'll have to suffer the horror of hearing Appalachian accents. Save yourself, don't come here. Ever. It's illegal to wear those thick rimmed black glasses in this state. You'll be executed. Really.
WVUPharm2007 is right, I broke the code of Omerta, to which all West Virginians are bound. They will find me with my head blown off from a shotgun blast, which is considered "natural causes". Vive la Virginie-Occidentale!

Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,551 times
Quote:
Greensburg, Indiana. i went to a big boy restaurant and everyone in there had on overalls and had that hillbilly accent.
Vision-Quest- that is like saying "I walked through a field of clover and saw honeybees!"

Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post

lol @ thick rimmed black glasses(hipsters),yea that's pretty much all they sell at the vision centers around here

Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 AM

450 posts, read 1,202,970 times
Hamilton Ohio....never met sooooooooooo many undereducated and uneducated people in my life. Yes they do say you'ems alot

Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Sorry East Tennesseans (excluding Knoxville and the college towns) but most of the towns here are scary. The people here say tar for tire, far for fire, awl for oil and instead of saying y'all (or you all) they say youns or something. I was watching the local news here and they actually had a story on incest aka inbreeding. Something tells me that they do stories like this often. They said that incest in east TN is 8 times higher than the national average. I can't wait to get outta here.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Sorry East Tennesseans (excluding Knoxville and the college towns) but most of the towns here are scary. The people here say tar for tire, far for fire, awl for oil and instead of saying y'all (or you all) they say youns or something. I was watching the local news here and they actually had a story on incest aka inbreeding. Something tells me that they do stories like this often. They said that incest in east TN is 8 times higher than the national average. I can't wait to get outta here.
I hear you but be careful what you wish for because you could end up in an even worse area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City