U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:39 PM

140 posts, read 592,413 times

Advertisements

Specifically in terms of climate (mild summers) and beauty and culture (liberal, progressive) I am falling in love with Burlington. I can afford a house there but not the SKY HIGH property taxes. Do you have any suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 05:47 PM

10,085 posts, read 20,782,687 times
Boulder, CO or Asheville, NC are probably your closest match in terms of the liberal/progressive/mountain granola college town vibe that's in Burlington. You won't have anything like Lake Champlain on the periphery though. Bellingham, WA might be a good choice, it's on the sea with lots of stunning mountains on the periphery, it's a college town relatively similar size city/area and the Pacific Northwest is culturally and politically very similar to Vermont and very mild summers.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:55 AM

7,533 posts, read 9,002,685 times
Portland, ME might fit the bill. You might need to check the taxes there as well - I'm not sure they would be much better than VT. Hannover, NH is another great town, and NH is know for being tax friendly. No Lake Champlain, but very nice and in a great area.

It's discouraging to find a place you love and be driven away by taxes, however. Hopefully you can find a way to swing them into your budget and make it work (smaller home?).

Good luck.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:40 AM

4,107 posts, read 4,513,473 times
Probably other small cities in that region will be the most similar, but aside from that (like a response above) Asheville NC came to my mind as well. Or maybe Boise, Idaho.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:07 PM

69,383 posts, read 96,177,967 times
Ithaca NY. To be honest, look across Lake Champlain at Plattsburgh NY, which is a nice little city in its own right, is more affordable and you still have access to Burlington, the Adirondacks and Montreal.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:00 AM

143 posts, read 344,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
Specifically in terms of climate (mild summers) and beauty and culture (liberal, progressive) I am falling in love with Burlington. I can afford a house there but not the SKY HIGH property taxes. Do you have any suggestions.
You're certainly right about the taxes in Vermont! My husband and I are originally from there and chose to move to North Carolina about 4 years ago. We're about 30 minutes from Asheville and love it here.

Some others have commented that Asheville has some similarities to Burlington and I would have to agree some what. I guess it really depends on what about Burlington you like the most. It is a little warmer in Asheville than what you have in Burlington, but it's more noticable in the winter months than in the summer... we still do get some snow here each year. It doesn't stay for a long time (which is something that my husband and I appreciate a lot), but it's enough to get a little taste of winter. Similar to Burlington, Asheville is spread out around a concentrated business area. The mountains around Asheville are taller and more pronounced than the Vermont mountains and I think they are even more beautiful. I think that you'll find the culture here is very similar to Burlington.

The taxes here aren't too bad, though the locals might disagree...

Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,678,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post

I bought a home in Burlington. The taxes are high but they're just as high where my other home is. In terms of places similar to Burlington, I would go with Ithaca. The waterfront and water activities are a big part of Burlington and I don't get that in Asheville or Boise. I like Portland, Maine also but find it to be quite different from Burlington in terms of density and it's surroundings. Actually, a place similar to Burlington would be Traverse City and environs along the northern coast of Lake Michigan. It also reminds me of the Finger Lakes areas of New York.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 AM

23,614 posts, read 35,963,263 times
Another off-the-wall option might be Morgantown, WV (home of West Virginia University) Again no big body of water but a more liberal vibe for a small mountain city, and a milder climate in the summer.

Morgantown, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Morgantown WV | Dining, Shopping & Entertainment in Morgantown WV
Morgantown, WV

Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 AM

12,755 posts, read 35,860,173 times
Definitely Asheville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 AM

48 posts, read 54,325 times
Ithaca, NY is VERY similar, IMO

Both are Northeastern progressive cities of roughly the same size and climate, both university towns, both on a major lake, both with a downtown pedestrian mall, both with hilly, scenic surroundings, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City