Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 12:57 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,652,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Has nothing to do with the cost of living. I'm speaking from a visitor perspective and I could pretty much afford most of the amenities Miami has to offer. For the record some of my favorite cities to visit and would consider living in are cities like NYC,LA,SF, D.C. They're more expensive and I enjoyed them a lot more than my experience in Miami.

Outside of Miami Beach and Wynwood, Miami wasn't that impressive to me. Now I get it if your Latino or wealthy Miami is a paradise. Maybe I would have enjoyed Miami better in my 20's as a single man because my trip would have been more focused on that then what else the city had to offer. But the rude drivers, sh*tty pretentious attitudes from a good amount of residents, covert and overt racism, mediocre food,etc.

Yeah it's some things I liked about Miami, but for my to experience all this in 3 days didn't leave me with the best impressions at all.
Definitely agree with this statement, the city outside a few areas is rather lacklustre. You do not have the urban bones or diverse array of neighbourhoods like older cities in the U.S and the areas in Miami all act the same, cater to the rich and tourists. It is a city based on commodity and consumption, not place or space making, which makes the city very weak. Even Wynwood lost its unique character and is trying to hard to be a Silicon Valley meets L.A arts district, which I find hilarious cause the people moving there are the ones who want to get away from that, yet replicate it lol. Miami is definitely a good city if you have a ton of money to spoil yourself and if you're single, but for a solid and stable career/to raise a family? There are better cities to choose from.

I will say though, just to balance it out, next time you visit make sure it's about 1 week or so rather than three days. At least with the extra days you can analyse the neighbourhoods more and the feel of the city.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:21 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
3 days and you know the entire area and residents (or were they fellow tourists in touristy sections)?...where else besides the beach (and which sections of the beach ) and Wynwood did you hit?

Odd you found the food mediocre considering we have a couple of dozen outposts from some of the best restaurants and/or highly regarded chefs from those other top cities you mentioned you enjoy (NYC, SF and DC—2 of which I lived in) and elsewhere along with local talent that have opened outposts in top US cities and abroad. Robb Report recently chimed in about Miami’s burgeoning dining scene:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/robbrep...234607434/amp/

As the other poster stated you really need to spend more than just 3 days....and I’m not Hispanic nor in my 20’s. Agree about the drivers—would love to hear exactly what racism you experienced and if it is unique to Miami.

I said it before and will say it again...to enjoy Miami it really depends on one’s occupation and/or wealth status. I would have loved to have gone to University of Miami for college (more for partying) BUT I didn’t have a family business to go into (as my mom often reminded me) so I had to delay my gratification until I had the means to do so.

Quote:
Has nothing to do with the cost of living. I'm speaking from a visitor perspective and I could pretty much afford most of the amenities Miami has to offer. For the record some of my favorite cities to visit and would consider living in are cities like NYC,LA,SF, D.C. They're more expensive and I enjoyed them a lot more than my experience in Miami.

Outside of Miami Beach and Wynwood, Miami wasn't that impressive to me. Now I get it if your Latino or wealthy Miami is a paradise. Maybe I would have enjoyed Miami better in my 20's as a single man because my trip would have been more focused on that then what else the city had to offer. But the rude drivers, sh*tty pretentious attitudes from a good amount of residents, covert and overt racism, mediocre food,etc.

Yeah it's some things I liked about Miami, but for my to experience all this in 3 days didn't leave me with the best impressions at all.

I have to check the crime stats and question whether Atlanta has sections as walkable as Brickell and SoBe, where one can live without need of a car--but please correct me if I'm wrong. Atlanta and Miami do share one thing in common—neither has an out of control homeless situation like a number of other top cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beach_Lasagna View Post
Atlanta crushes Miami for living. Better jobs, lower crime, better walkability and lower cost of living.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-22-2021 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 01:34 PM

33 posts, read 37,637 times
Default Miami to visit, Atlanta to live

Miami crushes Atlanta for visiting, with world class beaches and nightlife. Miami is the only warm city in the US having a tropical climate.

Atlanta crushes Miami for living. Better jobs, lower crime, better walkability and lower cost of living.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:46 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
If you were strictly an carless urbanite, Miami makes more sense. But for outdoors, Miami only offers a beach + water activities, it's surrounded by a big squishy swamp and 0' of elevation change. I'm outside in nature at least 2 times a week and I'd feel completely trapped in Miami.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:07 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
3 days and you know the entire area and residents (or were they fellow tourists in touristy sections)?...where else besides the beach (and which sections of the beach ) and Wynwood did you hit?

Odd you found the food mediocre considering we have a couple of dozen outposts from some of the best restaurants and/or highly regarded chefs from those other top cities you mentioned you enjoy (NYC, SF and DC—2 of which I lived in) and elsewhere along with local talent that have opened outposts in top US cities and abroad. Robb Report recently chimed in about Miami’s burgeoning dining scene:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/robbrep...234607434/amp/

As the other poster stated you really need to spend more than just 3 days....and I’m not Hispanic nor in my 20’s. Agree about the drivers—would love to hear exactly what racism you experienced and if it is unique to Miami.
I get it's not really fair to judge a city based on 3 days but at the same time if I had that many bad interactions in only 3 days I'll be hard pressed to think it can get any better. But hey maybe I was just unlucky.

And look I don't want to paint the majority of Miami citizens in a negative light. I can't speak on that. All I know is most of the least favorable incidents happen to me in spaces that were predominately Affluent White Cuban or White Hispanic areas.

Miami Beach and Wynwood I had no problems in. Miami Beach is super touristy so everyone was extra hospitable. The first night me and my family we went stayed in an AIRBNB in Coconut Grove and we arrived pretty late due to our flight. Now it wasn't blatant but there was a few stares from people in the complex that didn't feel very welcoming. The 2nd day me and my Wife stayed at my cousin's condo which is downtown facing Biscayne Bay. Everything started off fine till we shared an elevator with a group of White Cubans who actually started talking about me and my Wife in Spanish. The look on their face when they realized my Wife knew Spanish. Then later that day we were walking to a small indoor mall around Bayfront Park and had a guy follow me and my wife till I scared him off. Now granted I stood out with my camera clearly so I'm not accusing this guy of being racist. But that that was another incident that ruined my experience in Miami. Then when we get to the mall or shopping center a security guard stops and questions me about my camera and what am I using it for. Now maybe I would have chalked it up to just them having strict rules. Some properties do that. And even though I wasn't taking pictures at the time I would have been like cool whatever. But then I saw an elderly White couple literally taking pictures in close proximity to the same Security guard and not one time did they get question about his camera.

Now is this the entire city? NOPE. Actually met some cool people in Miami. It just so happen that the most approachable people were either Caribbean/ Black or Afro Latino. Or people in the service industry which of course that goes without saying.

I'm willing to give Miami another chance just not in a rush to go back. And for all that to happen in a short amount of time it didn't give me the best first impression. And of course racism is not unique to Miami. It's everywhere in America. But to have back to back incidents like that, I was just like REALLY?

Even a Miami Native lyft driver told us we probably should have stayed in tourist to avoid some of the unpleasant encounters.

Old 04-24-2021, 04:53 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times
Quote:
I get it's not really fair to judge a city based on 3 days but at the same time if I had that many bad interactions in only 3 days I'll be hard pressed to think it can get any better. But hey maybe I was just unlucky.

And look I don't want to paint the majority of Miami citizens in a negative light. I can't speak on that. All I know is most of the least favorable incidents happen to me in spaces that were predominately Affluent White Cuban or White Hispanic areas.

Miami Beach and Wynwood I had no problems in. Miami Beach is super touristy so everyone was extra hospitable. The first night me and my family we went stayed in an AIRBNB in Coconut Grove and we arrived pretty late due to our flight. Now it wasn't blatant but there was a few stares from people in the complex that didn't feel very welcoming. The 2nd day me and my Wife stayed at my cousin's condo which is downtown facing Biscayne Bay. Everything started off fine till we shared an elevator with a group of White Cubans who actually started talking about me and my Wife in Spanish. The look on their face when they realized my Wife knew Spanish. Then later that day we were walking to a small indoor mall around Bayfront Park and had a guy follow me and my wife till I scared him off. Now granted I stood out with my camera clearly so I'm not accusing this guy of being racist. But that that was another incident that ruined my experience in Miami. Then when we get to the mall or shopping center a security guard stops and questions me about my camera and what am I using it for. Now maybe I would have chalked it up to just them having strict rules. Some properties do that. And even though I wasn't taking pictures at the time I would have been like cool whatever. But then I saw an elderly White couple literally taking pictures in close proximity to the same Security guard and not one time did they get question about his camera.

Now is this the entire city? NOPE. Actually met some cool people in Miami. It just so happen that the most approachable people were either Caribbean/ Black or Afro Latino. Or people in the service industry which of course that goes without saying.

I'm willing to give Miami another chance just not in a rush to go back. And for all that to happen in a short amount of time it didn't give me the best first impression. And of course racism is not unique to Miami. It's everywhere in America. But to have back to back incidents like that, I was just like REALLY?

Even a Miami Native lyft driver told us we probably should have stayed in tourist to avoid some of the unpleasant encounters.
You're gonna get push back on your post but your experiences are not out of the norm for Miami no matter what the boosters say...that particular demographic is known for having a certain attitude towards Black people as well (obviously not all of them but you know what I am saying)...that being said South Florida can be great if you remember one simple rule

Miami Dade for visiting
Broward for living

Old 04-24-2021, 05:22 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Ah, the Cubans...that ‘splains everything....some are real peaches as you experienced, some are quite nice. Mixed bag. I usually get along quite well with the more affluent ones, it’s the Marielitos from the lesser desirable areas who are out of their element in nicer areas and act out of place I can have a minor issue/encounter rudeness with, mostly traffic related...That being said, I’m immune to the occasional incident (from Cubans or others) and don’t let it ruin or take away from my enjoyment of the urban amenities and offerings of the City—think of it as being in a huge 8 room nightclub, if I have an incident with one jerk who is immune to my charm I just go to a different room that gives me a better vibe with different people rather than leaving the premises. I spend most of my time in Brickell with visits to Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Key Biscayne, Design District, River District, Jungle Island, mid beach and Bal Harbour (and avoid touristy areas—people, crowds and the $16 12 ounce cans of Corona).

Quote:

Last edited by elchevere; 04-24-2021 at 06:46 AM..

Old 04-24-2021, 07:54 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beach_Lasagna View Post
Miami crushes Atlanta for visiting, with world class beaches and nightlife. Miami is the only warm city in the US having a tropical climate.

Pretty much how I view it. I have love for both areas though. That Latin Caribbean culture is a nice change of pace from the mostly Anglo culture of ATL.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:23 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 5 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,625 times
I would personally choose Atlanta for its offerings, but that's my personal opinion. They are definitely peer cities and very comparable though.

They have different flairs. Atlanta is a focal point of Black culture and Black entertainment/media, whereas Miami is a gateway to Latin/South America, and the focal point of Cuban culture and influence as well as many others.

Miami seems more oriented to the beaches, whereas Atlanta is more focused on logistics that frankly keep the entire USA running (air, rail, freight, highway). They both have great cores.

Atlanta has a better COL.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:47 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Quote:

Quote:
I'll give Miami Nightlife and the beach. Atlanta doesn't offer that but I'd much rather live in Atlanta than Miami any day of the week. I'm way more of a Atlanta guy than a Miami guy. I'll die on this hill and say Miami IMO is the most overrated city I've ever been to. Beautiful Women ain't enough to make me think it's one of the best cities in this country.
Miami and Atlanta rotate their women in a sense. The same viral IG models I see frequently in Miami spend almost as much time here. when it comes to nightlife and networking for these ladies, its by no means a wash in 2000s like it maybe was in the 80s or something. The entertainment industry has transplanted some of the most attractive ladies in the world in Atlanta.

I don’t think that’s a good thing, the overly pretentious and plastic types only want to talk to men in the high 6 figs so it’s not as if seeing these ladies make it more desirable to be in these cities.

I don’t think Miami is overrated, but it’s not the only place where you can see lots of flashiness and attractive women like people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City