Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which light rail is best utilized and which one has the brightest future?
DART 46 28.05%
MARTA 41 25.00%
LA metro rail 43 26.22%
Denver RTD light rail 18 10.98%
Portland TriMet light rail 16 9.76%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times

Advertisements

For the umpteenth time --- Atlanta's MARTA is NOT a light rail system!!! It is HEAVY RAIL aka RAPID TRANSIT aka SUBWAY/METRO All 48 miles of the MARTA system are grade separated from surrounding street traffic, via underground tunnels and stations in the central city and elevated platforms and tracks further out. It is HIGH SPEED (rapid) and HIGH CAPACITY (transit), with the ability to move thousands of people around the city in a short amount of time. Stop comparing the light-rail systems of Dallas and Houston to MARTA. They are nothing alike.

How many more times does this fact have to be pointed out to City-Data users ?!!!!

Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rapid transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 09:49 PM

457 posts, read 904,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
[b]For the umpteenth time --- [b][color="Red"]Atlanta's MARTA is NOT a light rail system!!!
Bless your pea-pickin heart.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
Bless your pea-pickin heart.
I agree with him. It's a very significant distinction.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:18 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
For the umpteenth time --- Atlanta's MARTA is NOT a light rail system!!! It is HEAVY RAIL aka RAPID TRANSIT aka SUBWAY/METRO All 48 miles of the MARTA system are grade separated from surrounding street traffic, via underground tunnels and stations in the central city and elevated platforms and tracks further out. It is HIGH SPEED (rapid) and HIGH CAPACITY (transit), with the ability to move thousands of people around the city in a short amount of time. Stop comparing the light-rail systems of Dallas and Houston to MARTA. They are nothing alike.

How many more times does this fact have to be pointed out to City-Data users ?!!!!

List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I understand all of that very well as do many of the other posters here. Actually L.A. has some heavy rail subway and commuter lines as well. The question the O.P. posed was which system has the brightest future and provides the best coverage? I and others already made the argument that Marta's heavy rail being faster and having more capacity makes it more effective and I think the OP understood that argument but tried to counter that with enough coverage light rail could possibly have the same or better usability. You can't totally discredit this idea although I think they have a long long way to go to catch up with Marta's ridership and efficiency. (L.A. has the ridership but I don't know if it's as effective a system).

I know some people don't know the difference between light and heavy rail but I think most of the people in this discussion seem to. I don't think that just because DART for instance or Denver's Rail are light rail systems that it means they never have a chance of moving people around as quickly and in as large a capacity as MARTA. Especially with Marta sitting still while they are making ambitious moves forward. I think if Marta were to carry out it's original plans of expansion that the other systems wouldn't be able to keep up with it ridership and efficiency wise but it's people really need to get on the ball and it needs to overcome it's opposition before this can happen.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I understand all of that very well as do many of the other posters here. Actually L.A. has some heavy rail subway and commuter lines as well. The question the O.P. posed was which system has the brightest future and provides the best coverage? I and others already made the argument that Marta's heavy rail being faster and having more capacity makes it more effective and I think the OP understood that argument but tried to counter that with enough coverage light rail could possibly have the same or better usability. You can't totally discredit this idea although I think they have a long long way to go to catch up with Marta's ridership and efficiency. (L.A. has the ridership but I don't know if it's as effective a system).

I know some people don't know the difference between light and heavy rail but I think most of the people in this discussion seem to. I don't think that just because DART for instance or Denver's Rail are light rail systems that it means they never have a chance of moving people around as quickly and in as large a capacity as MARTA. Especially with Marta sitting still while they are making ambitious moves forward. I think if Marta were to carry out it's original plans of expansion that the other systems wouldn't be able to keep up with it ridership and efficiency wise but it's people really need to get on the ball and it needs to overcome it's opposition before this can happen.
It didn't sound like the OP had any idea that there was a difference between MARTA and DART, or actually knew the difference between light and heavy rail. That's the issue some people have with this thread.

MARTA is not sitting still...there are very ambitious plans on the table, starting with the streetcar line and continuing with the Beltline and other light rail additions. I think Atlanta will see many transit improvements in the near future.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 AM

MARTA's heavy rail system should be judged against its peers which are the other cities with newish heavy rail systems. Those would be the heavy rail systems in DC, LA, Miami, and Baltimore. And MARTA compares favorably against all of those except for DC.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
MARTA's heavy rail system should be judged against its peers which are the other cities with newish heavy rail systems. Those would be the heavy rail systems in DC, LA, Miami, and Baltimore. And MARTA compares favorably against all of those except for DC.

I would include SF in this mix but agree MARTA does a pretty good job. I use it frequently when I travel to Atlanta and for me it gets me to most of the neighbohoods i want to go and services the airport very well. It is clean and effecieint and pretty widely used in a city known for car culture...

Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Yes, I forgot BART which should be in the mix as well. Thank you.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:49 AM

617 posts, read 1,423,223 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It didn't sound like the OP had any idea that there was a difference between MARTA and DART, or actually knew the difference between light and heavy rail. That's the issue some people have with this thread.

MARTA is not sitting still...there are very ambitious plans on the table, starting with the streetcar line and continuing with the Beltline and other light rail additions. I think Atlanta will see many transit improvements in the near future.
You goofs, show me where the hell did I post that MARTA was light rail, look at my original question I said rail system period, and yes I know the difference between LRT and HRT, it doesn't take a genius to know the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Sorry no, ATL can't compare its system to DC or SF it best compares to the cities I put it up against, this is not a knock against ATL but as of now this:

can't be compared to these two:
http://kysdc.com/files/2009/12/dc-metro-system-map.jpg (broken link)
Underground map of San Francisco

It is best compared to the cities I put up against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

Thank you, ATL's MARTA has the pontential to be better than all the other cities I listed but until the system gets expanded it can't be compared to DC or SF.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
You goofs, show me where the hell did I post that MARTA was light rail, look at my original question I said rail system period, and yes I know the difference between LRT and HRT, it doesn't take a genius to know the difference
POLL QUESTION
Which light rail is best utilized and which one has the brightest future?
--DART
--MARTA
--LA metro rail
--Denver RTD light rail
--Portland TriMet light rail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City