Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Chicago- I doubt people would look at a building and say oh, thats chicago. The Bulls is chicago's biggest brand. Outsiders know of it because the bulls were big for a long time

Boston- who on earth knows where Harvard and all those schools are? I do agree that Boston has a lot of name recognition internationally, but not because people know the schools are there. Their biggest brand is the Celtics.

Atlanta- no where on the coke bottles or in the commercials is ATL mentioned. Also no one associates gone with the wind with ATL. ATL's biggest brands are Music (not just rap, Arista/ Laface had a lot of ATL based musicians) and TV shows.

the two others are okay.

Here is my list of biggest city brands:

NY- The city itself is its own brand. Everything about it is famous
LA- Pop culture, Sports
Chicago- Pop culture and Chicago Bulls
Houston- Space, Houston Rockets
Philadelphia- Pop Culture (Fresh prince is popular all over the world), History of being a major US City for centuries
SF- Pop Culture, Famous Iconic structures
Boston- Pop Culture, Sports
Miami- Pop Culture
ATL- Pop Culture
Seattle- POp Culture

others.....
The Rockets? Really? They're not even in the playoffs this year. I know, I know, Yao Ming is a cultural icon and so was Hakeem. But Kobe is HUGE in China, and LBJ is global icon also. So the Miami Heat and LA Lakers should be up there also.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The Rockets? Really? They're not even in the playoffs this year. I know, I know, Yao Ming is a cultural icon and so was Hakeem. But Kobe is HUGE in China, and LBJ is global icon also. So the Miami Heat and LA Lakers should be up there also.
Outside of China, very few people care about the Rockets outside the US. Houston is known internationally, but the Rockets have very little to do with it. Its more known for NASA than any of its sports team.

As far as pure name recognition goes (and not knowledge of the city itself), in my travels, Dallas is moreso than Houston. Atlanta and Miami above both Dallas and Houston.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
who cares is they are not in the playoffs? just because the year is different doesn't mean people forget everything that happened before January 1st

great now you went and turned the discussion into a rockets thread.

I am not comparing freaking basketball teams. I was just going down the list of cities and stating what they were known for. Houston became known internationally because of NASA and they also got international recognition because of their mid 90's championships

and I listed both Miami and LA, so what is your problem?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Outside of China, very few people care about the Rockets outside the US. Houston is known internationally, but the Rockets have very little to do with it.

As far as pure name recognition goes, in my travels, Dallas is moreso than Houston. Atlanta and Miami above both Dallas and Houston. Texas trumps them all though.
oh please, no one knows anything but Dallas outside of North Texas.

and I mentioned the Rockets because they were hugely popular in the 90's I am nit talking about in the closed bubble of may 2011

Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
oh please, no one knows anything but Dallas outside of North Texas.

and I mentioned the Rockets because they were hugely popular in the 90's I am nit talking about in the closed bubble of may 2011
I knew the second I typed that it would get a reaction out of you, but that is not why I typed it. Its my honest opinion.

Having been to 51 countries, I feel assured enough in my opinion. You have yours and I have mine. Im not going to go back and forth with you again about it. We just have to agree to disagree.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:18 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Why does Sydney always make these list??

Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
who cares is they are not in the playoffs? just because the year is different doesn't mean people forget everything that happened before January 1st

great now you went and turned the discussion into a rockets thread.

I am not comparing freaking basketball teams. I was just going down the list of cities and stating what they were known for. Houston became known internationally because of NASA and they also got international recognition because of their mid 90's championships

and I listed both Miami and LA, so what is your problem?
It's not about Miami and LA as cities. Just say NASA instead of The Rockets. They don't give H-Town that much name recognition outside the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why does Sydney always make these list??
Sydney is extremely popular worldwide. Its a mix of LA's climate, the urbanity of San Francisco, the cleanliness of Singapore or Switzerland, and a true European and Australian feel. Its extremely popular for visitors and residents.

The only strike against it is that the cost of living is unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I knew the second I typed that it would get a reaction out of you, but that is not why I typed it. Its my honest opinion.

Having been to 51 countries, I feel assured enough in my opinion. You have yours and I have mine. Im not going to go back and forth with you again about it. We just have to agree to disagree.
I knew that you would be looking for a reaction from me that is why I typed it. And I have you beat on countries visited. Asia is the one that I have visited the least, the rest, I got that covered.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I knew that you would be looking for a reaction from me that is why I typed it. And I have you beat on countries visited. Asia is the one that I have visited the least, the rest, I got that covered.
I was not looking for a reaction from you, I simply knew that you would react to it.

Its my opinion. It isnt changing. Its not the same as yours and thats fine. Let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City