Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 02:47 AM

6 posts, read 15,249 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering about rough ('ghetto' -- or just lower income, visibly poorer, etc) neighborhoods or areas in cities in the US which are not known for their rough neighborhoods or for being 'ghetto' in general. I'm thinking in terms of moderate to large cities.

For example, wondering about areas of cities like Seattle, Portland (my new town), Denver, Minneapolis, Anchorage....maybe some others like those, but those are the ones that come to mind. Pretty big cities (maybe aside from Anchorage--but the others), so clearly they have lower income areas, more visible poverty, but are not known, as a whole, for rough spots. Info/Pics appreciated if anyone knows of such areas. Not limited to the cities mentioned above...those were just the most obvious examples to me.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:17 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,676,335 times
San Francisco fits this thread to a T despite having no shortage of rough areas...

Tenderloin
Sunnydale
East Mission
Lakeview
Portero Hill
Bayview Hunter's Point
Fillmore

San Francisco's projects are among the absolute worst in the country. All the City does about the embarrassing state of its public housing at this point is tear them down.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:58 AM

5,490 posts, read 13,865,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newly_in_pdx View Post
I'm wondering about rough ('ghetto' -- or just lower income, visibly poorer, etc) neighborhoods or areas in cities in the US which are not known for their rough neighborhoods or for being 'ghetto' in general. I'm thinking in terms of moderate to large cities.

For example, wondering about areas of cities like Seattle, Portland (my new town), Denver, Minneapolis, Anchorage....maybe some others like those, but those are the ones that come to mind. Pretty big cities (maybe aside from Anchorage--but the others), so clearly they have lower income areas, more visible poverty, but are not known, as a whole, for rough spots. Info/Pics appreciated if anyone knows of such areas. Not limited to the cities mentioned above...those were just the most obvious examples to me.
Yakima, Washington. It is a town in Central Washington with a population of 91,000. Some people in Washington state seem to know how rough and how much crime Yakima has but most people from anywhere else and even a lot of people in the state of Washington itself do not seem to know about it.

The sketchy stories I heard about for Yakima is just as bad or even worse than stories I heard from places like Baltimore, Detroit, and Compton.

Yakima seems to have crime as bad as those places but aren't even mentioned in crime statistics sometimes because even the people that write those statistics do not seem to know the existence of Yakima and how bad the crime is there.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 AM

92,022 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
Yakima, Washington. It is a town in Central Washington with a population of 91,000. Some people in Washington state seem to know how rough and how much crime Yakima has but most people from anywhere else and even a lot of people in the state of Washington itself do not seem to know about it.

The sketchy stories I heard about for Yakima is just as bad or even worse than stories I heard from places like Baltimore, Detroit, and Compton.

Yakima seems to have crime as bad as those places but aren't even mentioned in crime statistics sometimes because even the people that write those statistics do not seem to know the existence of Yakima and how bad the crime is there.
Really? From what I have heard, in Portland OR, it's parts of NE Portland(Albina, King, etc.). In Seattle, parts of the Central District and I believe Ranier Beach. In Tacoma, it's the Hilltop District, if I'm not mistaken. In Denver, parts of Five Points and other East Side neighborhoods. I think Montbello is another such neighborhood to some degree. Not sure about Anchorage.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,254,945 times
I heard the areas aren't very scary to folks in other cities but my girlfriend from Minnesota says that North Minneapolis and Brooklyns (Brooklyn,Minnesota?) has rough areas. Being born Brooklyn, NY and raised in Richmond, VA I had a good 30 minute laugh about this.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,765,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newly_in_pdx View Post
There have been MANY variations of "worst neighborhoods/areas/ghettos" posts in the past. Please do a forum search and add to any of those before creating one so similar. Thank you.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City