Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times

Advertisements

Are there any other cities with 100,000 people that had EDs (electoral districts) that voted for McCain at an 90%+ rate (minimum 100 voters)?

The only one I know of is NYC which had 26 plus another 1 that had 90 out of 98 votes for McCain, and another 2 that had 90% out of 66 and 81 votes respectively. There were around the same amount of EDs that that voted for McCain at an over 80% rate (including some that round off to 90%) (these districts also had a similar voting pattern for Bush, Kerry so don't claim racism)

In fact I can make a contiguous area only in NYC with over 2,160,000 people where McCain wins (he won by 1 vote)

there's a lot of dark red here
http://www.urbanresearch.org/resourc...Obama_2008.pdf (broken link)

In addition many of those who vote democrat are not really liberal in the modern sense of the word (ex. many African Americans and Hispanics) but staunch democrats
(with most of Bedford-Stuyvesant where almost EDs were Obama 98+ with around half of them being 99%+ and a few where McCain got no votes at all)

In fact despite the fact that most politicians in NYC politicians support gay marriage if it actuality came to a vote I'm around 75% sure in NYC only it would be defeated and possibly by quite a large margin.

just to make this clear I'm also asking if someone can name bigger Conservative cites based on peak Conservative areas.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I couldn't get the link to work. I thought Staten Island was the only part of NYC to go for McCain.

If we mean cities over a 100,000 I thought Amarillo came out very disproportionately Republican.

//www.city-data.com/city/Amarillo-Texas.html

If we mean larger cities I think Jacksonville is quite conservative. Whether it has more McCain electoral districts I don't know. Part of why NYC may have a lot is it's the largest city so has a lot of everything.

Still I do get the sense NYC has more conservatives than people in my neck of the woods think. Staten Island has a fair amount of conservatives and it seems like Queens had some. If we mean the NYC metro I think it may have way more than people in the Plains think as parts of Long Island are pretty Right-leaning/conservative.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:08 PM

http://www.urbanresearch.org/resourc...Obama_2008.pdf

Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
it has more McCain electoral districts I don't know
It's not the number of McCain EDs but the number of 80%+ EDs and 90+ EDs how many cities have even 1 90% McCain districts.

NY should never be mention on a liberal list
The highest McCain district in San Francisco for example was 37.7% if I remember correctly

Old 05-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Amarillo came out very disproportionately Republican
but it didn't have any districts in either of those 2 counties that topped 90% McCain
it's top% was 88.5 and nothing higher then 85% in the city

Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM

the top 2 ED's in NY were 97.6% and 97.3%

Old 05-05-2011, 07:48 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
I'll admit that the amount of conservatives in New York City is often extremely understated in the popular sense. After all this is the city that has elected Rudy Giuliani mayor and is home to Bill O'rielly and various other famous conservatives. Also, many of the city's resident are themselves just as conservative and republican as your average red state redneck or utah mormon.

HOWEVER

Someone being conservative or having conservative ideals does not mean they will vote Republican. Ever. For example, African-Americans as whole tend to line up with a lot of the core principles of the Republican party such as being against abortion, gay marriage, and various other things. With New York City having the single largest populations of African-Americans (2 million in the city proper, 3 million in the metro), undoubtedly some one doing a poll in favor (or against) one of the things listed above in that city would show a significant amount of people in that particular community who lean in favor of the Republican view.

But a Republican would be smoking crack if they thought that means they'll be getting a lot of African-American votes in any election because of that. There are a myriad of reasons why Black people (and a lot of other people) who may identify either in voice or by action who may be conservative but would never, ever vote for a Republican candidate in any significant way and Republicans seems tone death as to why that at is. As a democrat and a black man I say hooray for tone deafness.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:54 PM

I could also make in NYC a area all in 1 neighborhood (50,000 people) (Borough Park) that voted for McCain at 90.2 to 9.5

Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
But a Republican would be smoking crack if they thought that means they'll be getting a lot of African-American votes in any election because of that. There are a myriad of reasons why Black people (and a lot of other people) who may identify either in voice or by action who may be conservative but would never, ever vote for a Republican candidate in any significant way and Republicans seems tone death as to why that at is.
and if that tone deathness would ever go away (agree it's not happening anytime soon) NYC would rank as one of the most Republican cities in America (and based on principles is already one of the most Conservative cities in America)

Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
and if that tone deathness would ever go away (agree it's not happening anytime soon) NYC would rank as one of the most Republican cities in America (and based on principles is already one of the most Conservative cities in America)
If that tone deafness did go away then it would also mean the Republican party would have to change it's ways big time. It's not just the things they say that keep minorities (black people especially) from voting for them, it's the things they do. Most notably that party's rejection of anything politically progressive or left leaning since the end of the Civil Rights Era.

In other words if they did change, it wouldn't be the Republican Party we know today. Probably like a lite version of the Democratic Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City