Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which smaller metro area in the Midwest is most appealing?
Columbus, OH 24 32.43%
Indianapolis, IN 18 24.32%
Kansas City, MO-KS 28 37.84%
Other (Please post your choices.) 8 10.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2011, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Jackson, TN
48 posts, read 131,490 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

Which one of the following three cities in the Midwest is most appealing with continuing growth and stable economy despite the fact that most of the Midwest is losing population to Sun Belt states?

Columbus, OH - It seems to be the jewel of the state that struggles economically.

Indianapolis, IN - Like Columbus, it is strong economically by Indiana's standard with low cost of living.

Kansas City, MO-KS - Especially in Johnson County (Kansas side), it's experiencing explosive growth with excellent economy, moderate cost of living, and rapid increase in personal income. Numerous cities such as Olathe, Overland Park, Shawnee, and Lenexa have been on the list of 100 Top Places to Live for few years now.

Although people tend to underrate Kansas City, I think it is becoming the best place in the Midwest for those who want to avoid popular high-taxed metro areas such as Chicago and Twin Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM
 
1,073 posts, read 2,194,323 times
Reputation: 751
Kansas City..
Omaha..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 09:17 PM
 
131 posts, read 320,772 times
Reputation: 154
Kansas City by far. IMO, the other two are not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Reputation: 4126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonToKC View Post
Kansas City by far. IMO, the other two are not even close.
Having lived in the KC area for a couple of years, which I did enjoy, I struggle to understand this thinking. What does KC have that Indy and Columbus don't (thinking of amenities, culture, etc.)? Indy and Columbus are better situated geographically in terms of access to other major metros. Economically, I think it's pretty much a wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
638 posts, read 929,583 times
Reputation: 236
I would say that their even as well. The only edge that I give to KC is in architecture. Other than that They all appear well poised to enjoy moderate growth rates in economy and population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
 
131 posts, read 320,772 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Having lived in the KC area for a couple of years, which I did enjoy, I struggle to understand this thinking. What does KC have that Indy and Columbus don't (thinking of amenities, culture, etc.)? Indy and Columbus are better situated geographically in terms of access to other major metros. Economically, I think it's pretty much a wash.
While all three share many similarities, Indianapolis and Columbus both seem to be "blander" in terms of urban-core landscape and architecture. Kansas City has more uniqueness such as its ubiquitous fountains, Country Club Plaza, as well as the somewhat hilly terrain within its city limits. Downtown Indianapolis is probably superior to downtown KC (within the loop) at this point, however the gap is narrowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonToKC View Post
While all three share many similarities, Indianapolis and Columbus both seem to be "blander" in terms of urban-core landscape and architecture. Kansas City has more uniqueness such as its ubiquitous fountains, Country Club Plaza, as well as the somewhat hilly terrain within its city limits. Downtown Indianapolis is probably superior to downtown KC (within the loop) at this point, however the gap is narrowing.
Kansas City has fountains, Indianapolis has monuments. Lots of monuments.

If the question is, which city is best positioned economically, seems they are all doing pretty well. The OP referenced the explosive growth in Kansas for KCMO. Go to the Kansas City forum, tell them that JoCo Kansas is carrying the metro. Watch the fireworks.

Truth be told, I prefer the flat terrain in Indianapolis. It allows for better biking, and Indianapolis is moving in the right direction for bicycle infrastructure. Indianapolis also has the culture trail nearing completion downtown, linking several cultural districts with urban bike paths.

I like all three cities. The suburbs are all the same to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times
Reputation: 2084
all three cities are really great places. i'd say the best one is the one where you can get the best job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM
 
3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
Reputation: 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Kansas City has fountains, Indianapolis has monuments. Lots of monuments.

If the question is, which city is best positioned economically, seems they are all doing pretty well. The OP referenced the explosive growth in Kansas for KCMO. Go to the Kansas City forum, tell them that JoCo Kansas is carrying the metro. Watch the fireworks.

Truth be told, I prefer the flat terrain in Indianapolis. It allows for better biking, and Indianapolis is moving in the right direction for bicycle infrastructure. Indianapolis also has the culture trail nearing completion downtown, linking several cultural districts with urban bike paths.

I like all three cities. The suburbs are all the same to me.
Exactly. A lot of KC people (in the actual city) don't care for Johnson County. I mean it is typical suburbia that you could find anywhere. I don't see what's so special about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Bentonville, AR
1,134 posts, read 3,189,754 times
Reputation: 919
For a midwestern city, I think KC has some nice topography. Indy 2nd, Columbus 3rd. However, I think all cities have plenty to offer. I think you'll probably get more sun in the winter in KC since it's further away from the great lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top