Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 03:31 PM

21 posts, read 44,879 times

Advertisements

We are currently in Metrowest Boston. We used to live in Cambridge, MA... it is our ideal city, but too expensive.

We are looking into Providence, RI, Portland, ME and Burlington, VT.

Have posted to state forums and heard back a lot about these cities. Would love to hear a comparison.

About us: We are earthy, artsy, foodie, sporty. We like unique, funny, interesting, down-to-earth people. We local/organic food, farmers markets, outdoor spaces, access to town centers/cities. We are 26 and have a one year old. We look forward to having more kids.

THANKS A MILLION!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Burlington is your place!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
They are three completely different cities of completely different sizes. Providence is pretty urban. Portland is more suburban/large town. Burlington is a small artsy town. Employment will probably be easiest in Providence if you are a professional.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
I've spent more than 20 years in both Cambridge, MA and Burlington, VT..

The most important factors will be employment and housing; Providence is larger than either Portland or Burlington, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has cheaper housing, too; the employment markets is very difficult in Burlington, and is has the longest winters, too; Portland has the advantage of being only about 2 hrs from Boton, and had great ocean views, but again employment may be difficult; Burlington's housing is VERY expensive by VT standards, so you will be paying for those lakeside/mountain views; Providence would probably have the largest job market, and the warmest winters, but a bit less of the natural beauty you would find in both ME and VT....

Old 11-15-2010, 05:38 PM

21 posts, read 44,879 times
This is great info! Thank you. My husband is an accountant, and has found several job postings in each city. He is applying, and we'll see where the wind takes us. I am primarily mom, and can take my professional work any of the three locations. Does anyone have anything to share in the way of family friendliness? It seems Providence's east side is pretty family friendly. I have heard that Portland's North Deering is too, is that right? And Burlington?

My husband went to PC, and our families live near Newport, RI, so we are pretty familiar with Providence as a place to visit/go to college. We would love to hear about its family culture, and what it has to offer to young adults.

We have visited both Burlington and Portland, but don't know anything about neighborhoods, schools, or what the overall cultures are like.

I want to thank you for your words and ideas! Excited to hear more.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:15 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
I'd pick Providence or Burlington. Providence is cool because it has some of that same urban gritty vibe found in Boston, and is less than an hour away, so it's well positioned for times when you do need to be in a bigger city for entertainment or whatnot. If you don't need/want proximity to Boston or more full scale urban living, I'd go with Burlington. It's just a really cool community, good for art, food, intelectualism, and outdoor recreation.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What about Amherst or Northampton in MA?

Also, if you are considering Burlington, why not look at Plattsburgh across Lake Champlain? It is more affordable, has a SUNY campus and a community college and you can take the ferry over to Burlington for work or play. Montreal is close by too.

Another Upstate NY city you would probably love is Ithaca, which has the Ivy League college In Cornell and Ithaca College is there as well. It fits pretty much everything else you are looking for. Cost of living is at the national average too. Schools are good and you are close to bigger cities as well. Here's a couple of websites you might like: Central New York Jobs

Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Would Durham NH be an option as well?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-17-2010 at 07:21 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 PM

504 posts, read 615,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
They are three completely different cities of completely different sizes. Providence is pretty urban. Portland is more suburban/large town. Burlington is a small artsy town. Employment will probably be easiest in Providence if you are a professional.
Burlington is very artsy but not very "small town" yes it has a lower population but culturally there is a lot going on and their are lots of things to do. Also it has a very walkable downtown and their is good bus service another plus is it is a 1.5 hour drive to Montreal and a 3.5 hour drive to Boston. There is also train service to NYC and it is not a bad drive about 6.5 to 7 hours.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,789 times
I've spent a lot of time in both Burlington, VT and Providence, RI. I am currently living in Southern Vermont after living in Queens, NY and Coral Springs, FL. I am actually debating the move at the moment to either Burlington, Providence, or back to Florida. I can't tell you much about Portland but as far as the other two go...

Burlington is very fun and very young. The vast majority of people who live there are college kids and the social/nightlife reflects that. It is great for outdoor activity and the food/art in the town is phenomenal. Montreal and some up-state NY towns are close by but as for in Vermont- your out of luck. It is a great (smaller) city and is loads of fun. Even though it is a city, it still holds a comfortable feeling and a lot of the people are very friendly and easy to get along with. If you would like to imagine the types of people there it ranges from UVM med students to earthy-crunchy hippies.There is also a lot of concerts hosted there if you are into that. One thing that I really love is the huge City Market Co-op.

As for Providence, it is larger and much more Urban. I still find that there is more to do in Providence and on a very good note it is close to Boston, 20 minutes out of Newport which is some of my favorite beaches and a wonderful summer town, not too far from NYC and just has a larger scale of things to do. Although this is also a very young city with a huge population of college students, I find that the feeling isn't as young as Burlington. Also, you will find much more diverse ethnic groups here then in Burlington. The eating is great and art here is just as prominent as in Burlington.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 AM

159 posts, read 428,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post
We are currently in Metrowest Boston. We used to live in Cambridge, MA... it is our ideal city, but too expensive.

We are looking into Providence, RI, Portland, ME and Burlington, VT.

Have posted to state forums and heard back a lot about these cities. Would love to hear a comparison.

About us: We are earthy, artsy, foodie, sporty. We like unique, funny, interesting, down-to-earth people. We local/organic food, farmers markets, outdoor spaces, access to town centers/cities. We are 26 and have a one year old. We look forward to having more kids.

THANKS A MILLION!
Portland is a small city, but it's not bad. Good sports, nice outdoor activities, a decent airport and Amtrak access.

Providence is larger, but decidedly more urban because of it. Also, the schools are some of the worst in the country.

Burlington is a big town rather than a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City