Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 12:21 PM

32 posts, read 62,110 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating with my fiancé to either the Charlotte, Nashville or Atlanta area. I won't have to drive to an office, I will only need to be by an airport. We are looking to start a family in the next year or two. Below is what we are looking for in a city.

1. Good schools
2. Small town feel, but not country living
3. A nice downtown with character. I heard Franklin, TN has a nice downtown
4. Outdoor activities. Hiking, biking, running
5. A fairly new 4 bedroom house between $250-$300k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,595 times
Yeah Franklin, TN sounds exactly like what you're describing. The schools are ranked very highly and for a city of 60000+ it still maintains a small town atmosphere with a very nicely restored old town/downtown with shops, restaurants, theaters, etc. The only problem may be your price. Franklin is the seat of Williamson County - one of the wealthiest counties in the country. A 4 bedroom would most likely be at the top of your price range.

2 other Nashville suburbs you may consider are Hendersonville and Mt Juliet. They are a bit cheaper than Franklin but still are in good school districts. They are also closer to the airport.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Yeah Franklin, TN sounds exactly like what you're describing. The schools are ranked very highly and for a city of 60000+ it still maintains a small town atmosphere with a very nicely restored old town/downtown with shops, restaurants, theaters, etc. The only problem may be your price. Franklin is the seat of Williamson County - one of the wealthiest counties in the country. A 4 bedroom would most likely be at the top of your price range.

2 other Nashville suburbs you may consider are Hendersonville and Mt Juliet. They are a bit cheaper than Franklin but still are in good school districts. They are also closer to the airport.
Except the OP wants a town with a nice downtown with character. Hendersonville and Mt Juliet don't have that, unless sprawling "lifestyle centers" count. Really the only suburbs of Nashville that have nice downtowns with character are Franklin (easily the nicest), Lebanon, and Gallatin. I might throw Murfreesboro into that mix but with a population of 110,000 it might be too large for the OP, I don't know. Lebanon is the closest of those towns to the airport, and there are some very nice areas of Lebanon although I wouldn't put its downtown in the same league as Franklin's.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-15-2011, 09:00 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Except the OP wants a town with a nice downtown with character. Hendersonville and Mt Juliet don't have that, unless sprawling "lifestyle centers" count. Really the only suburbs of Nashville that have nice downtowns with character are Franklin (easily the nicest), Lebanon, and Gallatin. I might throw Murfreesboro into that mix but with a population of 110,000 it might be too large for the OP, I don't know. Lebanon is the closest of those towns to the airport, and there are some very nice areas of Lebanon although I wouldn't put its downtown in the same league as Franklin's.

Yes I totally agree. Just throwing those out because you can get more house for the money. They definitely don't have anything that compares to downtown Franklin but not many cities do.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Alpharetta, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,356 times
South Charlotte is the best part of the city to raise kids in, but it's around 40mins or so away from Charlotte-Douglas Airport.

South Charlotte is also pretty expensive, unless you have the money.

Some good South Charlotte schools: Ardrey Kell, Providence.

But, since you want a small town feeling, than Charlotte isn't for you. South Charlotte's urban sprawl is one of the worst I've seen.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1979 View Post
I'm relocating with my fiancé to either the Charlotte, Nashville or Atlanta area. I won't have to drive to an office, I will only need to be by an airport. We are looking to start a family in the next year or two. Below is what we are looking for in a city.

1. Good schools
2. Small town feel, but not country living
3. A nice downtown with character. I heard Franklin, TN has a nice downtown
4. Outdoor activities. Hiking, biking, running
5. A fairly new 4 bedroom house between $250-$300k
In the Charlotte area you might want to look at Cabarrus County. The two main towns are Concord and Harrisburg. Concord has a very vibrant downtown historic district with shops and restaurants: Welcome to Historic Downtown Concord

Another place to consider is York County, SC. There are several areas closer to the city that are popular like Fort Mill and Tega Cay. But if you wanted the “downtown” with character you mentioned that would be in Rock Hill, which is the largest municipality in York County. A Lifestyle Guide to Rock Hill, SC | OnlyInOldTown.com Rock Hill, SC
Rock Hill is also a college town as its home to Winthrop University. Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA

York County, SC is also home to Charlotte’s amusement park Carowinds Mobile

Both areas above have good schools, with York County probably having the best. As for the airport, Charlotte’s is the 11th busiest in the country. It has over 700 daily flights with over 125 of those being non-stop flights.

For outdoor activities both would also be a short drive to Charlotte’s US Natioinal Whitewater Center: Whitewater Rafting, Canopy Tour, Zip-Lines, Climbing, Mountain Biking, Flatwater Kayaking, Ropes Courses, Eco Trekking. USNWC | Charlotte, NC

Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,356 times
a lot more helpful than my post, listen to the guy above

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Alpharetta is not close to Hartsfield-Jackson (with traffic it would be a good little hike actually) and I wouldn't say it has a "nice downtown with character"; it's quite smallish and average. For the Charlotte area, Davidson, NC has a very nice downtown but it's not really near the airport and I don't know how the schools are there. Fort Mill, SC is probably about a good 30 minutes from the airport and has some of the best schools in the Charlotte region but its downtown is practically non-existent. The New Urbanist Baxter Village is more of a downtown than the town's traditional downtown but I don't think that's what you're looking for. Otherwise, you have access to outdoor activities and can definitely find a house in your price range in Fort Mill.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:38 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,464 times
From Alpharetta, you could drive to Sandy Springs and take the MARTA train from the North Springs train station straight to the airport without having to drive far at all or you could take the MARTA bus from Alpharetta to the North Springs transit station (http://www.itsmarta.com/ns-air-overview.aspx).

Alpharetta is beautiful and near the mountains as well. The city is currently redeveloping the downtown area as well (http://alpharetta.ga.us/).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City