Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:21 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,455,268 times

Advertisements

I would have to say Orlando. Its just a fun city and very cosmopolitan for its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 07:55 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Hummm yeah, are you concerned with being warm and like hot and humid weather where you sweat a lot? Or... is it the winter that bothers you, and you'd just want a non winter that is mild? Or... is it you don't mind the cold, but hate grey days and lack of sunlight?

This will help narrow down your cities b/c warm means a lot of different things to different people. Many have moved to Miami or LA or Seattle or Denver or Phoenix but they are all pretty different climates and could all be considered "warm" depending on how you look at it.

For me the weather issues are overcast grey days and lack of sunlight, just the dreary nasty humidness that prolongs even out of winter into the spring, and sometimes into the beginning of summer, little bits of snow, slush, instead of an actual nice 6 inch white pristine powder snow which is aesthetically enjoyable.

Personally I think the best climate is out from about Boulder to around Santa Fe, and including Southern CO and Southern Utah. You still get 4 distinct seasons but it is actually sunnier than Florida, and the air is not humid. You also actually get a summer in the 90s (but not humid), unlike some milder summer cities where it only reaches 70ish (which I consider a warm spring). You get a good bit of snow still, but it also melts a lot in the day if not up in the mountains b/c of the elevation and daytime highs of 45 plus on average even in January.

Last edited by grapico; 06-25-2011 at 08:05 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 AM

82 posts, read 237,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hummm yeah, are you concerned with being warm and like hot and humid weather where you sweat a lot? Or... is it the winter that bothers you, and you'd just want a non winter that is mild? Or... is it you don't mind the cold, but hate grey days and lack of sunlight?

This will help narrow down your cities b/c warm means a lot of different things to different people. Many have moved to Miami or LA or Seattle or Denver or Phoenix but they are all pretty different climates and could all be considered "warm" depending on how you look at it.

For me the weather issues are overcast grey days and lack of sunlight, just the dreary nasty humidness that prolongs even out of winter into the spring, and sometimes into the beginning of summer, little bits of snow, slush, instead of an actual nice 6 inch white pristine powder snow which is aesthetically enjoyable.

Personally I think the best climate is out from about Boulder to around Santa Fe, and including Southern CO and Southern Utah. You still get 4 distinct seasons but it is actually sunnier than Florida, and the air is not humid. You also actually get a summer in the 90s (but not humid), unlike some milder summer cities where it only reaches 70ish (which I consider a warm spring). You get a good bit of snow still, but it also melts a lot in the day if not up in the mountains b/c of the elevation and daytime highs of 45 plus on average even in January.

It's pretty much the cold of winter that bothers me. I'm an outdoors person and besides snowboarding I don't enjoy a lot of outdoor activities in the winter. That being said I do enjoy the seasons, I would just prefer a much milder winter then we get here in CT/northeast.

I prefer sunny days as opposed to cloudy ones. I think thats part of the allure of moving further south is the abundance of warm, sunny days. I'm becoming interested in states like Virginia where the climate is warmer yet there is still a change of seasons.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:27 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe143 View Post
It's pretty much the cold of winter that bothers me. I'm an outdoors person and besides snowboarding I don't enjoy a lot of outdoor activities in the winter. That being said I do enjoy the seasons, I would just prefer a much milder winter then we get here in CT/northeast.

I prefer sunny days as opposed to cloudy ones. I think thats part of the allure of moving further south is the abundance of warm, sunny days. I'm becoming interested in states like Virginia where the climate is warmer yet there is still a change of seasons.
Some friends and I were talking this weekend and we were commenting on how North Carolina and Virginia seem to be "starter" states for northerners looking to move South. They are both warmer and more southern than the north, but they are not as intimidating culturally as moving someplace like Georgia, Bama, Miss, etc.

Also a lot of people from the northeast really want to move to a state that has some coastline, so again VA and NC are good candidates. And NC and VA both have skiing (not great skiing, but it is okay).

Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Some friends and I were talking this weekend and we were commenting on how North Carolina and Virginia seem to be "starter" states for northerners looking to move South. They are both warmer and more southern than the north, but they are not as intimidating culturally as moving someplace like Georgia, Bama, Miss, etc.

Also a lot of people from the northeast really want to move to a state that has some coastline, so again VA and NC are good candidates. And NC and VA both have skiing (not great skiing, but it is okay).
Yeah, I agree. Both states would fit the criteria I'm looking for. VA looks like a beautiful state.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,247 times
Both Virginia and North Carolina have several very different regions (have lived in both) -- and they are more spread out than Connecticut's - so plan accordingly in your research and travel to check them out.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
Both Virginia and North Carolina have several very different regions (have lived in both) -- and they are more spread out than Connecticut's - so plan accordingly in your research and travel to check them out.
Any suggestions on cities somewhat near the coast that have a strong corporate presence?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I would have to say Orlando. Its just a fun city and very cosmopolitan for its size.
I've spent a lot of time in Orlando and really enjoyed my time there. My only concern with that area is jobs. I've heard from several people in the area that its not a great area for accountants.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 AM

573 posts, read 1,360,622 times
the Los Angeles Area has great weather in summer in the 85 rarely up in the 100 in fall in the 70 some times 80 winter 60-70, spring in the 70s, but this year in spring it broke record in LA with 113 degrees

Old 06-29-2011, 02:59 PM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
If i was very rich

1.Miami
2.Los Angeles
3.Las Vegas

4-7 (No order):
Orlando
Tampa
San Diego
Honolulu

8-12 (No order):
Atlanta
Dallas
Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City