U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM

345 posts, read 791,359 times

Advertisements

Ok, so both of these places are more similar than people seem to think. The French Quarter and The Plaza are both the #1 tourist attraction in each of their cities. They both are very historic and are inspired by European architecture (the Plaza is Spanish and the French Quarter obviously is French). Both places offer excellent dining, shopping, and bars.

Obviously the French Quarter is known way more than the Plaza, however, I think the Country Club Plaza is underlooked and is one of the greatest upscale neighborhoods/shopping districts in America.

So which one do you prefer? The Country Club Plaza or the French Quarter? Please explain why you like one better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 PM

15,822 posts, read 23,867,566 times
I don't think they are on the same level as far as prominence, I've never heard of Country Club Plaza. Dining is not excellent in the Quarter, neither is shopping, and its primarily Spanish, not French.

After looking at the site, some aspects seem similar to Jackson Square, but it almost looks like an upscale mall. I couldn't find many pictures other than the stores. What does it really look like?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM

11,000 posts, read 19,495,307 times
Having been to the two (I hadn't heard of Country Club Plaza before visiting family near KCMO), I don't think they are in the same ballpark.

The French Quarter is a somewhat large, authentic, very historic neighborhood in New Orleans that was the original "City Center" for a growing colony and port. On the other hand, Country Club Plaza is large, manufactured outdoor mall designed to look Spanish (modeled after Sevilla, I believe). It was designed to accommodate cars as well as pedestrians. In short, it's an outdoor mall/lifestyle center. It's not a bad one. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's brilliantly executed. Perhaps one of the best planned outdoor shopping areas in the country. It's really nice looking too. I was pleasantly surprised when I visited. If I had to compare it to some other areas, I think it would be more similar to downtown Carmel, CA (beautifully done and designed to look like a European village) than to the French Quarter.

However, it doesn't have the same authenticity that the French Quarter does. It's not nearly the same size (the French Quarter is larger than I would have expected before I visited) . It's certainly not in the same category for comparison.

Now based simply on shopping/dining, I agree that the FQ isn't particularly wonderful. The best food I've had in NO was outside of the Quarter. There are better shopping streets outside the Quarter too. But again, this is why I think they aren't really comparable as they were designed centuries apart for entirely different functions.

Last edited by lrfox; 06-28-2011 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM

15,822 posts, read 23,867,566 times
I agree, the Plaza looks very well designed. The French Quarter was the original downtown, built out of natural necessity rather than entertainment.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:00 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,989,827 times
The Plaza in KC is more of a dining/shopping area. It's not really a bigtime party atmostphere. However I love it and I think it's the best outdoor shopping center in the midwest. The architecture is awesome. The scenery is very pretty. KC has some nice rolling hills in the area. No disrespect, but I've never liked anything about New Orleans.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,139,329 times
The Plaza might be nice, but I dont see how it's supposed to be some destination. It has all the same stores and restaurants you can find in most malls across America. And the architecture has nothing to do with the city's history. Doesn't look authentic at all.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM

2,927 posts, read 8,180,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
Ok, so both of these places are more similar than people seem to think. The French Quarter and The Plaza are both the #1 tourist attraction in each of their cities. They both are very historic and are inspired by European architecture (the Plaza is Spanish and the French Quarter obviously is French). Both places offer excellent dining, shopping, and bars.

Obviously the French Quarter is known way more than the Plaza, however, I think the Country Club Plaza is underlooked and is one of the greatest upscale neighborhoods/shopping districts in America.

So which one do you prefer? The Country Club Plaza or the French Quarter? Please explain why you like one better.
Are you kidding? Obviously it's Country Club Plaza. No need for an explanation here.....

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,989,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
The Plaza might be nice, but I dont see how it's supposed to be some destination. It has all the same stores and restaurants you can find in most malls across America. And the architecture has nothing to do with the city's history. Doesn't look authentic at all.
It has some of that but it also has a lot more. I haven't been to many malls with Fogo de Chao. The plaza is an upscale shopping and dining area. No one said it's anything more than that. They have gap and urban outfitters, but also coach and some local stores. As far as the architecture not looking authentic, I don't even know what that means. You obviously haven't seen it in person. It's a large area and the architecture has a good continuity to it that covers a large area. Also there are parks and water running through the area. The appeal of the plaza is the architecture, the landscaping, and the fact that it's a very active area. Lots of people out jogging, walking their dogs, hanging out, etc. And it's pretty family friendly. I'm not the most well traveled person in the world but I've been to most of the major cities and I think the Plaza in KC is something truly unique to KC. It stands heads and shoulders above many areas central shopping area. Haven't spent much time in the French Quarter so I can't comment on it.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM

35,700 posts, read 63,039,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
It has some of that but it also has a lot more. I haven't been to many malls with Fogo de Chao. The plaza is an upscale shopping and dining area. No one said it's anything more than that. They have gap and urban outfitters, but also coach and some local stores. As far as the architecture not looking authentic, I don't even know what that means. You obviously haven't seen it in person. It's a large area and the architecture has a good continuity to it that covers a large area. Also there are parks and water running through the area. The appeal of the plaza is the architecture, the landscaping, and the fact that it's a very active area. Lots of people out jogging, walking their dogs, hanging out, etc. And it's pretty family friendly. I'm not the most well traveled person in the world but I've been to most of the major cities and I think the Plaza in KC is something truly unique to KC. It stands heads and shoulders above many areas central shopping area. Haven't spent much time in the French Quarter so I can't comment on it.
WOW...Country Club Plaza looks beautiful. I especially LOVE that its not an enclosed mall but actual streets. I know Id enjoy myself there.

That said, I dont know why its being compared to the French Quarter tho, apples and oranges.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 PM

11,000 posts, read 19,495,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
It has some of that but it also has a lot more. I haven't been to many malls with Fogo de Chao.
Fogo de Chao is a large, national chain that's everywhere and a mediocre (overall) Brazilian Churrascaria at that. It's in plenty of malls. They are often located in large, luxury retail complexes (like in San Antonio, Scottsdale, Baltimore, etc).

Quote:
The plaza is an upscale shopping and dining area. No one said it's anything more than that. They have gap and urban outfitters, but also coach and some local stores.
Again, I'll reiterate what I said in my first post. It's EXCELLENT as an upscale shopping and dining mall. However, the fact that this thread compares it with one of the nation's most beloved historic districts would imply that at least the OP considers it to be along the same lines.

It isn't. In spite of the fact that Country Club Plaza probably offers better food and better dining than the French Quarter, it's a planned mall (albeit a very nice one) and it isn't something you can compare to the FQ.

Quote:
As far as the architecture not looking authentic, I don't even know what that means. You obviously haven't seen it in person. It's a large area and the architecture has a good continuity to it that covers a large area. Also there are parks and water running through the area. The appeal of the plaza is the architecture, the landscaping, and the fact that it's a very active area.
I've been there, and while the architecture looks nice, it's certainly not authentic. It was built to resemble a European city (Sevilla, Spain to be exact). It's not "authentic" because the architecture of the mall serves no purpose other than aesthetics. It was designed to look like Sevilla... it didn't come about due to a combination of function and architectural trends of the period like the actual Sevilla's architecture did. Some of the buildings in CCP are modeled entirely after actual buildings in Sevilla. While I think it looks great (certainly that's why Sevilla was chosen as the model), the architecture is about as authentic as San Francisco's Chinatown's "authentic" Chinese architecture or one of Epcot's World Showcase Pavillions. It's not authentic because it's a replica of something else.

Quote:
Lots of people out jogging, walking their dogs, hanging out, etc. And it's pretty family friendly. I'm not the most well traveled person in the world but I've been to most of the major cities and I think the Plaza in KC is something truly unique to KC. It stands heads and shoulders above many areas central shopping area.
It's a GREAT area. It's one of KC's best assets and probably the nicest outdoor shopping mall I've been to in terms of layout (integrating it into a street grid and carefully sneaking parking places into hidden spots instead of massive surface lots) in the country. I just don't think you can compare it to a city's functioning downtown because they're so different.

Quote:
Haven't spent much time in the French Quarter so I can't comment on it.
You just can't really compare the two because they're entirely different things. People say, shopping and dining are better in CCP. Of course they are! It was designed specifically for that purpose. However, the French Quarter is a historic downtown neighborhood that came about out of necessity, not the desire for a new shopping center. It's like saying "what's better, Downtown Minneapolis or the Mall of America?" You can't compare the two because they're not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City