Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 PM

318 posts, read 467,345 times

Advertisements

Being the main city of your respective country isnt enough reason here.

Its about global influence. American cities on the whole are more influential. Tokyo may have the largest economy, but culturally, politically, socially? Not, compared to the others like London, NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
I've seen Chicago ranked as high #4 in GDP, ahead of London and Paris. Do you see why leaning EXCLUSIVELY on GDP is a fail?

Edit: Just saw your post about Tokyo somehow looking DOWN on Chicago on a global scale. Okay, next!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I've seen Chicago ranked as high #4 in GDP, ahead of London and Paris. Do you see why leaning EXCLUSIVELY on GDP is a fail?
Yeah GDP should only be the main factor when we look at US cities compared to other US cities. We have to remember the US cities vs other world cities, we have to give them a break to catch up. Even some of the highly developed European countries fall short because their cities lack the population to compete with US cities. In developing nations like China, India, and Mexico cities also have less inflation in their GDP compared to the US because they have more agriculture and merchant industries. It's a double edge sword and a handicap to the rest of the world but very logical within the US.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Nobody is saying Chicago is more important than those two, however.

Economy is just the most important indicator on an intl scale.

Can you pick anything else that would be?

Economics are arguably more important than politics and culture. Economics are the root of the two. (Although, same can be said for politics and culture as well, but nobody is striving to have the best politics or best culture, its the best economy).

Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
You need to get out of your hood. LA is not even on the same level with NYC & CHI when it comes to global importance.

http://www.managementthinking.eiu.co...ot%20Spots.pdf

America's Most Powerful Global Cities - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities

Quote:
Chicago as a global top 10 city is a an even bigger joke than your posting existence. Who in their right mind thinks Chicago a top 10 worldwide city?! Anyone? Its "importance" is all related to its financial industry, which is what all those lists are skewed towards, and Chicago doesn't even top the nation in this category.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 PM

I would say Chicago culturally and politically, is just as global, but I certainly wouldnt argue its more important than London or Paris. London is arguably the most important city in the world. Im talking about it compared to the other cities you mentioned.

America is the most economic, cultural and politically influential country in the world, and a lot of the culture comes from Chicago, same as LA. Its not just NYC. Its pretty much all three at large.

Politically? Do we look no further than the White House?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovehockey85 View Post
I lied about not laughing.

How are Berlin, Osaka, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Moscow, Sao Paolo, Mexico City, Madrid and Singapore more important?

These cities dont match up economically, and that is the only real indicator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovehockey85 View Post
Nobody is saying Chicago is more important than those two, however.

Economy is just the most important indicator on an intl scale.

Can you pick anything else that would be?

Economics are arguably more important than politics and culture. Economics are the root of the two. (Although, same can be said for politics and culture as well, but nobody is striving to have the best politics or best culture, its the best economy).
Yeah, but even ranking cities by their economies is tricky. Some go by total GDP, other go by GDP per capita, others lean exclusively on lists that rank the top financial centers (see above), others by diversity of economy. Also, as scraniX correctly pointed out, U.S. cities have a leg up when it comes to GDP. Some would say "oh well" but I don't think it's that simple. Putting it all together (economy, political clout, cultural influence, and global recognition) I don't think Chicago cracks the top 10. Top 20, yeah.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 PM

408 posts, read 607,317 times
Amazing how Montreal punches above it's weight in these types of polls. By weight I mean economic importance, population... the numbers. I guess Montreal to many people is beyond numbers; too fascinating not to be touted somehow.

Makes me proud knowing it's my hometown

Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but even ranking cities by their economies is tricky. Some go by total GDP, other go by GDP per capita, others lean exclusively on lists that rank the top financial centers (see above), others by diversity of economy. Also, as scraniX correctly pointed out, U.S. cities have a leg up when it comes to GDP. Some would say "oh well" but I don't think it's that simple. Putting it all together (economy, political clout, cultural influence, and global recognition) I don't think Chicago cracks the top 10. Top 20, yeah.

I disagree 100% and actually think that further helps Chicago to be in the top 10.

Again, being the main city of your country isnt enough. Most of the those cities are, in comparison to Chicago.

When youre arguably the second most important city (we can argue any of DC, NYC, CHI, LA) in the worlds most powerful country, it counts for something.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 PM

Why isnt DC the most important city in the world? Its GDP is 4th largest in the US and 11th in the world, and its unquestionably the most important political center in the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City