Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 45,133 times

Advertisements

I am leaving California. Lived here my whole life (LA and OC areas) and I have never cared for the warm summer weather or spending time at the beach. And honestly isn’t that why everyone pays so much to live here? I want to move somewhere cooler and cheaper, with beautiful nature, clean air, but still the lots-to-do of city life.

I’ve narrowed it down to Portland or Seattle after researching many places and reading travel and relocation guides. There are so many great things about both of these places including the cooler weather, natural beauty, things to do.

From what I’ve heard/read Portland would be the more affordable place of the two but jobs are harder to come by. The weather is a bit warmer/sunnier while still being cooler than CA. My main fear here is what I’ve read about a massive homelessness problem, with most homeless people looking for beer money rather than an opportunity to work, and defecating in the very public streets. This is a concern for me. I hear the public transportation is great and often free, but then again you will be riding the bus with dangerous homeless people (or so I read from forums). I’m wondering how the homelessness issue really compares to LA.

Seattle would be the more expensive of the two places, while still being more affordable than Orange County CA. It would also be the more cloudy/rainy/snowy place. My main concerns are what I’ve heard on bad earthquakes, horrid traffic, and Asian gangs being a frequent problem. I don’t know if any/all of these are true. How would the gang activity and traffic compare to LA? On the pros side I hear jobs are easier to find in Seattle and it has on the of the best summer weather in the nation. I’m not too familiar with the public transportation and would like to know more regarding that fact.

Thanks for your help with deciding between these two great places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 AM

Default Seattle or Portland?

I am leaving California. Lived here my whole life (LA and OC areas) and I have never cared for the warm summer weather or spending time at the beach. And honestly isn’t that why everyone pays so much to live here? I want to move somewhere cooler and cheaper, with beautiful nature, clean air, but still the lots-to-do of city life.

I’ve narrowed it down to Portland or Seattle after researching many places and reading travel and relocation guides. There are so many great things about both of these places including the cooler weather, natural beauty, things to do.

From what I’ve heard/read Portland would be the more affordable place of the two but jobs are harder to come by. The weather is a bit warmer/sunnier while still being cooler than CA. My main fear here is what I’ve read about a massive homelessness problem, with most homeless people looking for beer money rather than an opportunity to work, and defecating in the very public streets. This is a concern for me. I hear the public transportation is great and often free, but then again you will be riding the bus with dangerous homeless people (or so I read from forums). I’m wondering how the homelessness issue really compares to LA.

Seattle would be the more expensive of the two places, while still being more affordable than Orange County CA. It would also be the more cloudy/rainy/snowy place. My main concerns are what I’ve heard on bad earthquakes, horrid traffic, and Asian gangs being a frequent problem. I don’t know if any/all of these are true. How would the gang activity and traffic compare to LA? On the pros side I hear jobs are easier to find in Seattle and it has on the of the best summer weather in the nation. I’m not too familiar with the public transportation and would like to know more regarding that fact.

Thanks for your help with deciding between these two great places

Old 07-12-2011, 10:53 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
I think Californians acclimate to Portland and Seattle very well since West Coast people tend to be similar, but you cannot underestimate how much the difference the lack of sun may have on your psyche. Don't buy anything until you've spent a year to see if you can cope first. The first day/week/month, you'll be fine. But when it hits May and it's been cloudy since Oct/Nov, you may not feel so well. Seriously. That rain has a way of whittling down the masses.

Portland is much cheaper than Seattle. Seattle may have more jobs, but if you've been paying attention to this board, everyone from the South seems to have woken up and decided Seattle is mecca, and are coming here with no job. Tons from Texas and a lot from Arizona. I'm sympathizing with California right now, but I know a lot of them will flee from the relentless damp, grey, cold winters and our introverted Seattle natures, so I take comfort in that.

Seattle is prettier than Portland IMHO. It's a bit ridiculously pretty. But personalities are more corporate here and the "corporateness" blends perfectly with our introverted natures making us passive-aggressive and polite but standoffish. We are a lot like California but with a lot less sun and a lot less outgoing. We (okay I) kind of envy California's outgoing nature sometimes. Socializing can be exhausting and I wish it wasn't so.

As for homeless, Portland (or Seattle) do not have anything like the homeless in downtown San Francisco. Doesn't even come close. As for Asian gangs? I don't know what you're talking about. If anyone else has seen Asian gangs, they will have to chime in. The Asians I know are pretty affluent.

Earthquakes could happen, what can I say? I was here during the Nisqually earthquake and while the building was shaking and we were running down four flights of stairs, a guy chose to bring his lunch and coffee - on a tray- running down the stairs. He had priorities. I'm far more frightened of tornadoes. If we get the "big one", it could be very very bad, as the Seattle fault is different from the ones in CA. Someone else can explain but something to do with a slip (CA) vs. a lift (WA) in the plates.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
The homeless problem here is not any worse then it is in LA. It just feels worse because it's concentrated in a much smaller area. - Note, I just spent a week in LA back in March.

Gangs and traffic aren't as bad as LA. Nor are Earthquakes, but keep in mind that we're way overdue for a major (9.0+) one and we (Seattle/Portland area) have 7 volcanos of the ten on the US Geological Services's list of "most likely to erupt next."

Seattle and Portland rarely get snow BTW. When it does come it's an inch at the most with ice that melts off the next day. Usually snow is a bit of what are called "flurries" where you can see the flakes coming down, but they don't seem to actually land.

I feel Portland's public transportation is better then Seattle's by far. Summer wise both cities are similar enough that I'd have a hard time saying one is better then the other.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:02 PM

Well its a relief to hear that the traffic/gang/homless situation isnt as bad as maybe I have heard. Honestly I have never been to San Francisco but have lived in LA and dont want to live somewhere where the traffic/gang/homeless population is worse than Los Angeles. Another thing, I hate LA smog! Im guessing the air quality is better in OR or WA...at least its what I have read. I think both places are beautiful and am just trying to find which is the better fit for me. Im thinking Portland based on the fact that it's cheaper to live there but I've also heard jobs are less frequent and pay less than Seattle. I really appreciate the residents sharing where they think I would be better off.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM

PS... In CA we have Hollywood, Universal Studios, San Diego zoo, Sea world, Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags, and so on. What family fun things are there to do in Portland? In Seattle?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:00 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,424 times
Hmm in Seattle we have Pike Place Market, Worlds Largest Car Museum, Worlds Largest Air and Space none profit Museum, Space Needle , Seattle Center ,three national parks close by, two rain forest only ones in North America and Seattle is at sea level on puget sound yet only 30 mins from mts, beach to mts in 30 mins. and so on

Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We drive down to Portland a few times a year, but it's mostly to shop at places we have found that we don't have in Seattle like Powell Books. They have a great Rose Garden and many beautiful water falls but I haven't found any attractions like we have in Seattle or they have in CA.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 PM

113 posts, read 297,002 times
Go to Denver!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternman015 View Post
go to denver!
why ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City