Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

When it comes to accessibility of a cities amenities:

What is more important to you, walkability or public transit.

Here is a case study: Cincinnati. Cincinnati, like other midwestern cities does not have much of comprehensive public transportation system. It has a bus system and a streetcar line(s) that are in its early stages of planning.

However it has been rated one of the most walkable cities in America.

And seriously, if one were to really compare it to other midwestern metro areas, Cincinnati does stand out in some regards.

Cincinnati is home to quite a high concentration of fortune 500 companies for a city its size, anchored by Procter and Gamble (we might not be as good looking or nice smelling if it weren't for P&G), but also Kroger groceries, Macys, 5/3 Bank, major offices for other banks/financial institutions (US bank, PNC), as well as Cintas (uniforms, etc.). And . . . . they are all located in the 8-9 block downtown area. Unlike other cities, where the corporate headquarters are located in suburban campuses. Filling in the spaces in between are a wide range of bars, restaurants, clubs, shopping, contemporary art museum, peformance center, etc.

Immmediately north of there is the Over-the-Rhine district, originally a major german neighborhood, it is one of the largest historic districts in the country, originally the densest urban neighborhood in the 19th century outside New York (and has even sit in for Harlem in a movie once, it has similar architecture). OTR as its called, became blighted, crime infested and impoverished, but due to its location of its 19th century performance halls, it is ground zero for all its perfoming arts, with one of the first high schools for creative and performing arts. The neighborhood is beign revitalized piece meal with properties being rehabbed with new eclectic businesses going in.

Immediately east of downtown is a charming (and expensive) hilltop neighborhood called Mt. Adams. This is within walking distance of downtown. Although a little more quiet and charming than downtown or OTR, it has amazing views, it is one of the few urban neighborhoods in a midwestern city that has views that you might expect from say San Francisco. There are pubs/cafes that you can see downtown from above, and Kentucky across the river.

But yet Cincinnati doesn't have much public transportation. How does the above description fit in with ones idea of urbanity??

Does having a relatively dense core, with a trendy and/or arts filled neighborhoods surrounding it "count"?

What are some other cities that fit this description. THat really are walkable, but do not have much public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
But do you hear of many cities with great public transit that aren't very walkable? Cincinnati may be the exception, but it seems these two traits often go together.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:09 PM

196 posts, read 614,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
But do you hear of many cities with great public transit that aren't very walkable? Cincinnati may be the exception, but it seems these two traits often go together.
I think this is the right question. Cincinnati isn't really an exception; there are certainly other cities that are walkable but lack an extensive public transit system. Baltimore and Pittsburgh (and I think Seattle) come to mind. However, I can't really think of any cities to compare, where public transportation is excellent but the city isn't walkable on street level. Maybe Los Angeles, but comparing Los Angeles to the other cities I've mentioned seems like a fool's game.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 AM

I think it partially has to do with size. I think cities that became fairly large early on, like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore, (Seattle is different in that regard) grew up with European style urban fabric, where people had to walk to work, etc. but then grew relatively slower through the 20th century, and therefore maybe there was not as great of a need compared to larger cities like Chicago, New York, San Fran, Boston, D.C.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:58 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
walkability... for sure. there are plenty compact euro cities without subways for instance. if it's compact enough, you can walk or bike everywhere.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:04 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
It depends on the size of the city, for example in LA even if it was the most walkable place on earth it would be dumb to walk from the beach to hollywood because it would take to long, so public trasit would needed.
However a city like boston you can walk from Dorcester to the north end for lunch then to back bay in a couple hours so transit is not an issue, not to say bostons transit system is bad, because it is great, San francisco is similar
So overall it comes down to the layout of the city.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
I think walkability. There are many small, walkable cities and towns that have little to no public transit but are still very manageable.

Moreover, In order for public transit to be fully effective, the cities need to be walkable. you need to be able to walk to/from public transit stations for them to work most efficiently. Transit stops are of little use if you have to drive to first stop, get on transit, then get off and get a car/drive to the destination.

I do agree that both should go hand in hand.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:10 AM

179 posts, read 402,624 times
Walkability for sure.
Walkability = skinnier & healthier people.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:26 AM

672 posts, read 1,789,313 times
Eventhough I live in one of the better public transportation cites, I can't even think of the last time I took public transportation. I far and away prefer walkable cities. Even with good public transportation, I feel there's a disconnect if you can't get to a destination without walking.

SF/Manhattan/Boston/Chicago/Philly maybe Seattle/DC - These have some of the requisite walkablity I'm looking for when choosing a city.

For me, the hills, concrete, cobblestone, alleys, curves, angles of the city tell a story. With walking, you get to experience the real soul of a city, possibly as its founders intended. Plus it's good excercise!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:32 PM

So then can conclude that some of smaller east coast and midwest cities feel more "urban" because of dense row-house dominated neighborhoods than much larger ones in the south like Houston and Atlanta?

Not that that makes them better mind you, but I was wondering how they "stack up" to people who consider NYC, CHI, SF, DC, and Boston as being the model of urban fabric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City