Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Again people lets keep it real(no matter how bad you fake the funk). Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans and the rest of the sunbelt cities can not compare at all to the pace of life in ANY of the major northeast cities.. This does not mean the sunbelt cities arent just as nice, they are just slower! None of these cities are anywhere near as fast as D.C. Come on guys, lets keep it real!
if you read the title of the thread is not are the sunbelt cities like the northeast, it is rank the top 10 fastest city in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 09:19 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Quote:
Again people lets keep it real(no matter how bad you fake the funk). Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans and the rest of the sunbelt cities can not compare at all to the pace of life in ANY of the major northeast cities.. This does not mean the sunbelt cities arent just as nice, they are just slower! None of these cities are anywhere near as fast as D.C. Come on guys, lets keep it real!
DC is one of the slowest cities I have encountered, from people being on time to the service industry.

Philly, NYC, and Boston are definitely the fastest though. Right behind it are Chicago and LA.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,001 times
Su
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
if you read the title of the thread is not are the sunbelt cities like the northeast, it is rank the top 10 fastest city in the US.
And again none of the Sunbelt cities are fast paced except Miami...again someone said that Atl was just as fastpaced as D.C. which it isnt...chill dude its a forum i have my own opinions and thoughts ..... We cool!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:20 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
DC is one of the slowest cities I have encountered, from people being on time to the service industry.

Philly, NYC, and Boston are definitely the fastest though. Right behind it are Chicago and LA.
What DC did you experience? DC has a faster pace than Chicago to me.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:30 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Su

And again none of the Sunbelt cities are fast paced except Miami...again someone said that Atl was just as fastpaced as D.C. which it isnt...chill dude its a forum i have my own opinions and thoughts ..... We cool!
The only part of the Miami metro that is fast is Miami beach. Once you get to the mainland, the pace slows significantly.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:16 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post

I found DC to be faster paced then both Chicago and LA...

Old 07-24-2011, 06:01 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
don't get fooled. LA is the most "passive/aggressive" county in the universe

PEople in los angelos still seem more laid back to me, the west coast in general seems more laid back.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:51 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I found DC to be faster paced then both Chicago and LA...
I agree. I live in Chicago and visit DC every year. DC is definitely more fast paced than Chicago and I also think faster than L.A. However, I will say DC is not THAT much faster paced and Chicago and L.A., but imo it really is.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:32 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying that no US cities are fast paced? Are you saying that all operate at an equal pace? And as far as suburban office parks go... that may be true in many places. But head to downtown NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, San Fran, etc there seem to be an awful lot of people who still work downtown.

Yes how fast people walk, talk, drive, etc. They all apply. Walk around Cleveland and then walk around Philly. You can't tell that people are moving much faster in one city as opposed to the other? Ask someone for directions in Atlanta. Now ask someone for directions in Boston. You're going to receive those directions WAY quicker in one city as opposed to another. It is very apparent to me the difference between a fast paced city and a slow paced city..
As a transplanted Clevelander now living in Chicago, I can attest that Cleveland feels a lot slower paced than where I live now. Chicagoans walk briskly and with purpose and they're always in your face and will brusquely push past you if you're slower... in contrast, Clevelanders just seem to lumber along like they have nothing to do and no place to be, even downtown at the height of evening rush hour.

Some years ago, when some of my coworkers from San Antonio and Dallas visited the Chicago office, and we all went out for lunch somewhere in the Loop, the Texans remarked that they couldn't believe how fast Chicagoans walked.

Even in Chicago the pace can vary, however. It's fastest downtown and in the more densely-populated lakefront neighborhoods, but somewhat slower if you get away from all that.

As for L.A. (since many on this thread seem to disagree on whether it's fast-paced or not), when I visited I personally found the city to be very laid back compared to Chicago. I didn't have a problem relaxing there at all. I rented a car with some trepidation, fearing aggressive, cutthroat drivers, but it wasn't like that at all. I found L.A. drivers to be much more sane compared to their Chicago counterparts, and driving wasn't much of a problem at all, at least not in the areas I visited. People didn't seem to be in all that big a hurry, and I didn't witness much impatience at all.

Of course, if you define "fast paced" more in the sense of an active lifestyle and your career and going from one activity to another, rather than merely the speed at which people walk or drive or talk or whatever, maybe in that sense L.A. might come across as faster paced than Chicago, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
What is less apparent is whether or not that fast pace is a good thing, i generally think it is and prefer it, but i understand why people prefer a more laid back city.
I have mixed feelings about the fast pace issue. I suppose it's a good thing in the sense of being efficient and getting things done, especially if you have to hold your own in a crowded area, but on the other hand, my observations are that a faster pace can lead to degraded habits and manners and a general disregard for others, and I don't think that's good.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Well for one you can't really compare the pace of sunbelt living to NE living. Two different environments and cities. The way we function throughout our daily lives is significantly altered by how our cities are built and laid-out. In the sunbelt we have more control of our time which allows us to move at a slower pace. Whereas up north; many people are dependent on public transportation and their feet.

Coming from a small town of any region; the major sunbelt cities will feel fast-paced ,but coming from NYC or Philly; it'll be slow. However, slow isn't the correct term; different is.

Another thing is I don't understand why Miami consistently gets a pass when the reality of it is that the majority of the area resembles any other sunbelt city. Quite frankly; with the influx of tourist and retirees flocking to the city every year; it kind of lowers the pace of the city. Places like Houston, Dallas and Atlanta are business-minded cities; where as Miami isn't as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City