Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Big D or ABQ?
Dallas, Texas 24 41.38%
Albuquerque, New Mexico 28 48.28%
Love/Hate them both :P 6 10.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:56 AM

3 posts, read 19,955 times

Advertisements

Hello

New poster, long time reader

I wanted to see your opinion on Dallas, Texas vs Albuquerque, New Mexico.

In terms of cost of living, which one is lower overall? Cheaper housing?

Better public transportation?

Better weather?

More snow?

Dating scene?

Friendlier overall feel?

Anything else you can contribute to compare these two cities would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Personal input is appreciated more then me looking at just stats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 AM

Also, in general, which city do you feel has better weather? Thanks!

Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM

343 posts, read 800,287 times
tottttalllly different cities. Dallas is massive compared to Albuquerque. DFW Metro has 6.4 million residents, while greater Albuquerque only has just over 700,000... its really not a fair comparison.

Cost of living is fairly similar, but Dallas has cheaper median housing values (although admittedly I am not familiar with Albuquerque's numbers)

Transportation also goes to Dallas- there is 72 miles of light rail track along with a fairly expansive bus system and HOV lanes, all run by DART.

Better weather/more snow both go to Albuquerque due to Dallas' BRUTALLY hot summers, although it is nice for much of the rest of the year. Dallas averages a few inches of snow annually but it varies year by year. Albuquerque doesn't get too much snow either, but generally has more than Dallas does.

Dating scene definitely goes to Dallas. There are FAR more singles to choose from and an expansive nightlife scene, unparalleled to what would be found in Albuquerque. It is especially prevalent in Uptown Dallas, lower greenville, etc. These are all neighborhoods close to the core of Dallas, although there are good singles spots across the massive metroplex.

As to which city is friendlier overall, it is a very subjective question. I think Dallas offers great Southern hospitality and most of the people I know here are exceptionally friendly. Many claim Dallas has some "attitude" but i've rarely felt this is the case. Albuquerque also has a very friendly and laid back vibe to it, more so than Dallas.

Overall, I would say there is way more potential in Dallas. It has one of the most diverse economies in the nation, an array of fortune 500 companies, a mix of family and single oriented lifestyle, and more cosmopolitan flair than what would be found in Albuquerque. Both cities are good but they are so different that it would really get down to what you are looking for in a city. Based on your given criteria, Dallas comes out on top, but not everyone is looking for a big, fast paced city or job opportunities. Albuquerque is significantly smaller and won't offer all of the big city amenities of Dallas, but it is a beautiful and charming city nonetheless.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 PM

10,399 posts, read 15,480,729 times
Default Daydreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattconzz View Post
Hello

New poster, long time reader

I wanted to see your opinion on Dallas, Texas vs Albuquerque, New Mexico.

In terms of cost of living, which one is lower overall? Cheaper housing?

Better public transportation?

Better weather?

More snow?

Dating scene?

Friendlier overall feel?

Anything else you can contribute to compare these two cities would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Personal input is appreciated more then me looking at just stats
You Albuquerque people really need to stop it......

Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
I really love Albuquerque, but I really can't take this match up seriously.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:24 PM

508 posts, read 1,081,823 times
Impossible to compare, they are way too different.

Howest2008, what makes you think the OP is from Albuquerque?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 AM

10,399 posts, read 15,480,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Impossible to compare, they are way too different.

Howest2008, what makes you think the OP is from Albuquerque?
Promoting Albuquerque over Dallas would just about do it , Albuquerque is a great up and coming Big City , but don't get it twisted and go up against Dallas of all cities.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:34 PM

378 posts, read 704,325 times
Are we talking metro or just city? I'd take ABQ over just Dallas, but there's much more to the Metroplex than Dallas.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Definitely not from Albuquerque Not even from the South New Hampshire born and bred :P

I am comparing the two because I am trying to pick one for university. I have visited both, but have only been there during the fall for a week a piece.

I know they are completely different cities...hence why I wanted to see what the differences are. Haha.

@2018, I am talking about general. Like, Dallas...none of the other ones around it like Arlington...and same with Albuquerque.

Anymore replies are appreciated

Also, if you are going to reply, please don't just say "this comparison is laughable"...I would prefer just to look at them to see the differences and see what makes each city great.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM

378 posts, read 704,325 times
A better question is: which universities are you looking at? For what discipline?

Dallas is a much bigger city with a much more big-city feel. I think ABQ has more to do, I'm an outdoors person. However, the greater Metroplex is not bad and career opportunities might be better there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City