U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Art Museum in the South
Miami 4 5.06%
Houston 32 40.51%
Dallas 18 22.78%
Atlanta 12 15.19%
None of these, please name others 13 16.46%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 PM

18,509 posts, read 29,605,913 times

Advertisements

In this thread: Best Mall: Atlanta, Dalllas, Houston, or Miami some though it was silly to argue over something as silly as malls so how about museums.

DC is excluded from this discussion.

Which Southern Metro has the best Museums in terms of

1. Size of Museums
2. Size of Collection
3. Number of visitors annually
4. Quality of visiting exhibits
5. Anything else

The High Museum in Atlanta for example is the 17th most visited art museum in the US, It has over 11,000 pieces in its collection and is over 300,000 sq feet in exhibition space. It is one of the oldest museums in the south. The High gets over 500,000 visitors a year

The Museum of Fine art Houston is the 7th most visited Art Museum in the US and has 65,000 pieces and over 300,000 sq feet of space. The MFA gets 1.25M visitors a year.

I am too lazy to look up more museums now. Will add more later
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 PM

The Dallas Museum of Art has over 24,000 pieces, and is one of the oldest Museums in Texas. It gets over 600,000 visitors a year

Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,472,946 times
I am interested to read thoughts by other posters on other art museums in this group of cities. I'd really like to visit the Houston MFA.

The only one I can speak to is the High Museum of Art in Atlanta. I think it has a very interesting building (both the original Richard Meier building and the recent Renzo Piano buildings). The High gets some world-class exhibitions. For instance last time I was there I saw a cool Salvadore Dali exhibit. I have to admit that while the permanent collection is good, it is not quite the level I would hope for the premeire art museum in one of the top ten/fifteen cities in the country. If you are in Atlanta it is definitely worth a visit though.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I am interested to read thoughts by other posters on other art museums in this group of cities. I'd really like to visit the Houston MFA.

The only one I can speak to is the High Museum of Art in Atlanta. I think it has a very interesting building (both the original Richard Meier building and the recent Renzo Piano buildings). The High gets some world-class exhibitions. For instance last time I was there I saw a cool Salvadore Dali exhibit. I have to admit that while the permanent collection is good, it is not quite the level I would hope for the premeire art museum in one of the top ten/fifteen cities in the country. If you are in Atlanta it is definitely worth a visit though.
Me too.

I don't often visit museums in southern cities because there isn't as much talk about them like there is in NY, DC, Chicago. So I am interested in hearing what is out there. Could not find much from miami.

The MFA Houston's next exhibit should be a great one. The Tutankhamun exhibit is returning. I went to the French Impressionists and German Impressionist exhibits and they were awesome.

I have seen seen some awesome Monets, and Manets, and Cezannes, Dali's

I also have seem some awesome american art.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,980,657 times
Quote:

Saint Pete Florida has the largest collection of Salvador Dali pieces outside of Europe. They have a HUGE Salvador Dali museum down there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvador_Dal%C3%AD_Museum

Old 08-10-2011, 02:32 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,472,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Saint Pete Florida has the largest collection of Salvador Dali pieces outside of Europe. They have a HUGE Salvador Dali museum down there.

Salvador Dalí Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I went to that Dali museum in St. Pete a few years ago when I was going to the Outback Bowl. It was indeed an awesome museum!

It is tough to compare general art museums to those dedicated to just one artist, but for anyone who is a Dali fan I definitely reccomend the Dali Museum in St. Pete!!

I like this thread on Southern museums. The Northeast (and to a lesser extent west coast and midwest) generally get all the love in this area, so it is cool to see discussion on great art museums in the South.

Another nice general art museum is the New Orleans Museum of Art. I feel like this one flies under the radar b/c so many people think of N.O. as just a party town, but they have a fantastic collection (over 40,000 objects) including some by some real heavy hitters like Picasso, Renoir and Monet.
New Orleans Museum of Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:

I like this thread on Southern museums. The Northeast (and to a lesser extent west coast and midwest) generally get all the love in this area, so it is cool to see discussion on great art museums in the South.
I chose something that I hope would become a civil discussion, lets hope that we will educate each other and not turn this into another flame war

Quote:

Another nice general art museum is the New Orleans Museum of Art. I feel like this one flies under the radar b/c so many people think of N.O. as just a party town, but they have a fantastic collection (over 40,000 objects) including some by some real heavy hitters like Picasso, Renoir and Monet.
New Orleans Museum of Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I went there when I was a kid, I think it deserves another visit.

I love Renoir and Monet, never got into Picasso much.

I love what Monet did with color

Old 08-10-2011, 03:55 PM

343 posts, read 721,506 times
The Dallas Museum of Art has over 370,000 Square feet of space and also more than 600,000 square feet annually, and it was designed by award winning architect Edward Larrabee Barnes

The Nasher sculpture Center is one of the premier sculpture centers in the country and has outdoor and indoor viewing spaces, and it was designed by Pritzker Prize winning architect Renzo Piano.

The Trammell & Margaret Crow Collection of Asian Art is a premier asian art centered gallery with free admission.

The 6th Floor Museum is a renowned and very exciting museum highlighting JFK's life and the events surrounding his infamous assassination in Dallas. Personally, one of the most interesting museums I have visited.

The Kimbell Art Museum in nearby Fort Worth hosts a small but superb collection of artwork and has won various architectural awards.

Other interesting museums in DFW include the African American Museum, the new Nature and Science Museum, A frontiers of Flight museum at Love Field airport, the Holocaust Museum downtown, and many, many more.

DFW's Museums may not be the largest but cover a wide range of topics, host wonderful exhibits and events, and have stunning architectural beauty.

I will post pictures soon

Old 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
The Dallas Museum of Art has over 370,000 Square feet of space and also more than 600,000 square feet annually, and it was designed by award winning architect Edward Larrabee Barnes
What does that mean? Do you mean 600K visitors??

Quote:
The Nasher sculpture Center is one of the premier sculpture centers in the country and has outdoor and indoor viewing spaces, and it was designed by Pritzker Prize winning architect Renzo Piano.
He also built the
Museum Building which holds the Menil Collection in Houston
The Building which houses the Cy Tombley Collection in Houston (More on that Later)
as well as the Modern Wing of the Art Institute of Chicago
and the High Museum Expansion in Atlanta

Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM

7,533 posts, read 8,686,487 times
I wonder how many people outside of Texas realize the number, variety and quality of museums in the Houston Museum District: Houston Museum District (http://houstonmuseumdistrict.org/default/museumpages/districtmuseums.asp?MID=888 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City