Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:11 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

Philly...not even close. Just based on size, and the fact that its sandwiched between NYC and DC. Boston is smaller and a little more out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Philly...not even close. Just based on size, and the fact that its sandwiched between NYC and DC. Boston is smaller and a little more out of the way.
That was my thought. Boston is just too far from the center of the action.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:33 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
That's very odd reasoning from the both of you...extremely odd actually. How is Boston "too far from the center of the action"? It's a day trip to drive to DC. I understand Philadelphia is located between the two, but it's not like it's Denver and located 1,000 miles away from the nearest city.

Could you explain what Boston is missing out on?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:43 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
NYC was never 'out of reach' when I used to live up there, but in relative terms NYC is much less accessible from Boston than Philly. I wouldn't do it every day, but on an occasional basis, I have no problem going to NYC, doing a full days work, then going home to Philly. I would not do that out of Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That's very odd reasoning from the both of you...extremely odd actually. How is Boston "too far from the center of the action"? It's a day trip to drive to DC. I understand Philadelphia is located between the two, but it's not like it's Denver and located 1,000 miles away from the nearest city.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
NYC was never 'out of reach' when I used to live up there, but in relative terms NYC is much less accessible from Boston than Philly. I wouldn't do it every day, but on an occasional basis, I have no problem going to NYC, doing a full days work, then going home to Philly. I would not do that out of Boston.
Ok, so we can't do day-trips to Manhattan. I still don't see how that means Boston is "too far from the center of the action".

Old 08-17-2011, 11:57 AM

It's not, Acela goes there, 'nuf said.

Philly has quite a bit more AMTRAK traffic than Boston - 3,787,331 passengers in 2010. Boston's two stops had a combined total of 1,756279 passengers, not shabby but Philly's numbers are very high in comparison. D.C.'s union station (gorgeous) is # 2 at 4,572,878 passengers, and we know #1 is NYC - 8.378 million

The significant majority of rail passengers coming into NYC is from Philly and D.C., followed by Boston. Baltimore is in distant fourth place.

Quote:
Ok, so we can't do day-trips to Manhattan. I still don't see how that means Boston is "too far from the center of the action".

Last edited by Dub King; 08-17-2011 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:

I'm not saying its remote like Butte, Montana or anything, but its not in as convenient of a location as Philly. You can live in Philly and reasonably commute to jobs in NYC, Baltimore, and DC. Add to that the fact that Philly is larger, and I think that settles it.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I'm not saying its remote like Butte, Montana or anything, but its not in as convenient of a location as Philly. You can live in Philly and reasonably commute to jobs in NYC, Baltimore, and DC. Add to that the fact that Philly is larger, and I think that settles it.
You're joking...right?

By Google Maps:

Driving from Philly to NYC is 2 hours each way. 2 hrs 20 min by transit.

To Baltimore: 2 hours driving, 2 hrs 20 minutes by transit

To DC: 2 3/4 hours driving, 3 hrs by transit.

Not really a "reasonable" commute.

Philadelphia is larger though, so at least you've got that right.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM

72 minutes via Acela express, and don't tell me somebody working in NYC can't afford that. Transit sucks, requires a switch in Trenton. That should be fixed. In real life, the bus usually take 1 hour, 50 minutes and thanks to bus lanes you can go into Manhattan right in the middle of rush hour, unlike car drivers. Acela is still the best but if you can deal with an 85 minute trip (13 extra minutes!), you can ride Amtrak for as little as $49, and ten-packs of tickets run $552. If one commutes often enough, monthly passes are $1,242 and yes people do that (please refer to Philly's huge Amtrak numbers, they are not commuting to D.C. or Baltimore) http://amtraktrack.blogspot.com/2011...ts-amtrak.html

NYC jobs carry a premium. We're not talking about a daily commute, just a commute for work purposes. I'm a photographer and I do it, but I could just as well be an architect or a sales person or any number of things where commuting to Manhattan for work - on occasion - from Philly makes sense.

I've heard arguments about this commute before. Many New Yorkers have million+ dollar mortgages and still face a half hour or more dealing with the subways. Quite a few folks live in Brooklyn and work in Midtown, they face a daily commute of between 30 minutes and 45 minutes, each way... and a much less comfortable one. The thing about Amtrak is you can take a nap.

Quote:
You're joking...right?

By Google Maps:

Driving from Philly to NYC is 2 hours each way. 2 hrs 20 min by transit.

To Baltimore: 2 hours driving, 2 hrs 20 minutes by transit

To DC: 2 3/4 hours driving, 3 hrs by transit.

Not really a "reasonable" commute.

Philadelphia is larger though, so at least you've got that right.

Last edited by Dub King; 08-17-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
72 minutes via Acela express, and don't tell me somebody working in NYC can't afford that. Transit sucks, requires a switch in Trenton. That should be fixed. In real life, the bus usually take 1 hour, 50 minutes and thanks to bus lanes you can go into Manhattan right in the middle of rush hour, unlike car drivers. Acela is still the best but if you can deal with an 85 minute trip (13 extra minutes!), you can ride Amtrak for $49. If one commutes often enough, monthly passes are $1,242 and yes people do that (please refer to Philly's huge Amtrak numbers, they are not commuting to D.C. or Baltimore) Amtrak 'Multi-Ride' 2011 Costs - Amtrak Commuter Pass / Monthly Pass for the Philly-NYC Commuter. - Amtrak Tracking for My Commute Between New York City and Philadelphia

NYC jobs carry a premium. We're not talking about a daily commute, just a commute for work purposes. I'm a photographer and I do it, but I could just as well be an architect or a sales person or any number of things where commuting to Manhattan for work - on occasion - from Philly makes sense.
Good point. I just find it odd to think of a city better than another because you can commute to some other major city...and yes, many Manhattanites can afford the $1,242 monthly pass...but at the same time, if you can afford that then why wouldn't you just live in Manhattan?

Regardless, I just find it to be a weak argument (from others, not you)

P.S. Tried to rep you, but I've got to spread it around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City