Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Actually, a main difference to me is that subway travel is just so much more 'informal' than Amtrak or even commuter rail. You show up when you want, any time of day, a train will come within a few minutes. You get off at a stop very close to whatever destination you want, or you make a side trip if you need to pick up something on the way. If there are delays, you change your route; if you forgot something at home, you just turn around and go back and get it, no big deal. You're not stuck on the train. To me it's almost like an extension of walking.
Taking Amtrak involves a substantial trip to get to the central station (unless you live extremely close, which isn't usual), making sure you're early, waiting in a line to be let onto the platform, riding on the train (the cool part), and then having to make another trip from your destination city central station to wherever it is you're specifically going. It's like a 'real trip', if you know what I mean. And you're really at the mercy of their schedule, and any delays and problems that may occur (and seem to occur at least 30% of the time in my experience).
I think Amtrak is more comparable to air travel than subway travel (and it compares very favorably to air travel, btw). I work for myself as well, and I love the easy 24/7 connectivity the subway gives me. The new trains are pretty nice, too.
totally agree on both points there. It's a lot easier than air travel. But it's NO WHERE near as easy as riding a subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Boston is definitely the more prominent city between the two. It is the educational capitol of the world, and is a global powerhouse in research and finance as well. Boston is also synonymous with affluence. It never experienced the level of economic and social decline that Philly experienced, so it's reputation doesn't have nearly as many blemishes as Philly's does. It's clean, safe, and highly regarded for its quality of life. It seems like most peoples only complaint about it is the winter weather, which is far less than the amount of complaints people have about Philly. Boston is definitely the more prominent and more respected city among the general population.

That being said, I actually prefer Philly. It has all the history, vibrancy, and architectural beauty that Boston has, but Philly is edgy, artistic, and exciting in a way that Boston just isn't. In terms of things that are most important to me such as the local music and arts scene, food scene, nightlife, access to outdoor recreation, and diversity, Philly beats Boston. It's also no slouch in education and it's economy isn't much smaller. I love Boston, it's one of my favorite US cities, but Philly is experiencing a great renaissance that has made it one of the most exciting and lively cities right now.

So, in terms of prominence and economic power in the Northeast:
1. NY
2. DC
3. Boston
4. Philly

In terms of the qualities that actually make a city a great place to be IMO:
1. NY
2. Philly
3. Boston
4. DC
Hmmm! I would say that DC is neck and neck with Boston and Philly on big city amenities. In fact, DC's top neighborhoods can give Boston and Philly a run for their money. Plus, DC is more cosmopolitan and has more international flair.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:41 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
Just as I'd rather not spend vacation time watching congress, I prefer to avoid cities (or at least parts of cities) that appeal to people wearing suits. DC has a real problem, too many suits.

Boston or Philly anytime, and Philly over Boston. Otherwise, I'd live in Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Hmmm! I would say that DC is neck and neck with Boston and Philly on big city amenities. In fact, DC's top neighborhoods can give Boston and Philly a run for their money. Plus, DC is more cosmopolitan and has more international flair.

Last edited by Dub King; 08-18-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
So, in terms of prominence and economic power in the Northeast:
1. NY
2. DC
3. Boston
4. Philly

In terms of the qualities that actually make a city a great place to be IMO:
1. NY
2. Philly
3. Boston
4. DC
I like Boston and Philly a lot. They're both great northeast cities with a lot to offer.

However, I find that DC has more to see and do overall compared to both of them. It's going to depend on your interests of course.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Staying on subject, the fact that as of right now the poll is tied at 56-56 is just one more testament as to how well these cities stack up against one another. FWIW, I would have absolutely no problem packing up and living in Philadelphia if the opportunity arose. From my short time there, I loved the city.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:55 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I like Boston and Philly a lot. They're both great northeast cities with a lot to offer.

However, I find that DC has more to see and do overall compared to both of them. It's going to depend on your interests of course.
Exactly. In terms of attractions, the area that I really see DC besting Boston and Philly on is the amount of museum attractions and monuments -- which is certainly not insignificant.

However, in terms of interesting neighborhoods/nabes and unique events, DC is not nearly as strong of a performer as Philly and Boston. That's not to say that DC doesn't have some really great and interesting neighborhoods, but there's more of an exciting, organic nature in Philly and Boston that is much harder to find in DC.

For example, you'd never find something like this in DC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkeL7sHpHfc&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iQZa...eature=related

Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Staying on subject, the fact that as of right now the poll is tied at 56-56 is just one more testament as to how well these cities stack up against one another. FWIW, I would have absolutely no problem packing up and living in Philadelphia if the opportunity arose. From my short time there, I loved the city.
I'm thinking that if Boston was located closer to New York City, then it would be winning this poll. A lot of the arguments propping up Philly are along the lines of it's in a more "happening" stretch (which is true).

Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
Poring over the crime stats, I see nothing that recommends Boston over Philly. Unless one intends to move straight into the worst of Philly's ghettos, where the risk of being murdered is very high, crime rates between the two cities are not that far apart. Philly is 15-20% worse on a per-capita basis than Boston, and crime is the same per square mile. Theft is a statistical tie, and its the most common form of crime and the biggest nuisance of city living.

Philly's flash mobs made the news, but a bit of research reveals these incidents are occurring across the country. Philly just happens to have video of the perps, made arrests, and is discussing the problem openly.

In a telling statistic, assaults are also at the same (statistical) level, Boston vs. Philly. The idea that Boston is this 'safe' city and that Philly is unsafe is a pure fiction.

So just to reiterate - Philly matches Boston in many categories (number of college students, historical stuff), beats it in some (fine dining) and is beaten on others (mass transit). By many metrics Philly is the larger city and enjoys better proximity to NYC and DC, and is taking good advantage of that fact. This is what makes Philly #2 in the northeast after NYC.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Agree. Both are great IMHO, I have a preference but one is also my hometown. One thing about Boston, to me along with NYC coming from a Philly perspective I feel at ease right when i get to Boston, it feels comfortable almost homey coming from a Philly perspective.

On this quite honestly I cant really argue to much at a person choosing one over another as to me they are very similar. In some ways in the US Philly and Boston may be most similar in many respects of any large US cities, with maybe only Houston/DFW being in that discsussion as another pair of paternal twins so to speak

Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Poring over the crime stats, I see nothing that recommends Boston over Philly. Unless one intends to move straight into the worst of Philly's ghettos, where the risk of being murdered is very high, crime rates between the two cities are not that far apart. Philly is 15-20% worse on a per-capita basis than Boston, and crime is the same per square mile. Theft is a statistical tie, and its the most common form of crime and the biggest nuisance of city living.

Philly's flash mobs made the news, but a bit of research reveals these incidents are occurring across the country. Philly just happens to have video of the perps, made arrests, and is discussing the problem openly.

In a telling statistic, assaults are also at the same (statistical) level, Boston vs. Philly. The idea that Boston is this 'safe' city and that Philly is unsafe is a pure fiction.

Good point but I do believe Philly's worst neighborhoods are worse, something Boston can be proud of, not Philly

oddly for the improvements of safety and crime in Philly in the last two months in CC I have had my car window smashed (on one of the best streets in the city Dalancy) and witnessed (arrived in the aftemath) the flash mob at 15th and Locust, which quite frankly was a little scary, that needs to be fixed ASAP. The flash mob was random and viscous; those kid really need to be prosecuted big time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City