Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:58 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times

Advertisements

I use to dislike north carolina but i like it now. Nice scenery and weather(at least in the winter, summer is too HAWT!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,239,758 times
Growing up in metro Cleveland, I used to LOATHE trips to Columbus & Cincinnati ... now, I recognize both as beautiful and progressive cities ... most notably, Columbus.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 AM

5,490 posts, read 13,861,856 times
Default Are there certain places in the USA you disliked before but started to like later on and vice versa?

In some cases(or even in plenty of cases) the perception someone has of a particular place can change over time.

I would like to know other people's opinions about places in the USA they used to dislike before but started to like later on and vice versa(the other way around) with places in the USA they used to like before but disliked later on. You can also mention the specific time periods your perception of a particular place changed and an explanation.

These are places I used to dislike before but then started to like later on:

1. Philadelphia: The first 18 years of my life I thought I disliked it. But it was my fault because I didn't know Philadelphia well at all back then. When I visited Philadelphia and found out more positive things about it my perception changed about it and I started to like it. I am now age 20 so I liked Philadelphia since age 18.

2. The desert and semi arid areas of the USA(Such as the Southwest for one example but there are also some other desert and semi arid areas too): Most of my life I thought I didn't like deserts and desert scenery. But for age 14 to age 16 and since age 19 for the past year so far I like deserts and the type of scenery it can create. I still prefer much higher precipitation and I like lush green scenery but I decided I like desert scenery too.

3. The state of Texas: I just didn't know about Texas enough. The first 15 years of my life I thought I disliked Texas but since age 16 I decided I like it since I found out more positive things about Texas.

4. The Texas major cities of Austin, Dallas, and Houston: The same exact explanation as the state of Texas in general. I didn't know enough about these three Texas major cities. I thought I disliked these three cities the first 15 years of my life but since age 16 I decided I like them since I found out more positive things about these three cities.

5. Los Angeles: Most of my life I thought I didn't like Los Angeles up to age 15. But since age 16 I found out I do like it.

6. San Diego: For San Diego, starting to like it came a bit later than LA such as from age 18.

7. Southern California in general: I think I disliked Southern California the first 15 years of my life. But since age 16, I realized I do like it.

Also, these are the places I used to like but started to dislike later on:

1. The state of Alaska: I still like some things about Alaska but I mostly dislike it much more than I used to. The first 17 years of my life I thought I loved Alaska. But since age 17 I dislike it much more and just basically found out some disappointing things about it.

2. Las Vegas: I liked Las Vegas when I was age 5 to 16. But since age 16, I dislike Las Vegas. A bit ironic I guess because I am soon reaching the age where I could legally gamble, go to bars, and stuff like that Las Vegas offers. etc.

3. Orlando: The first 13 years of my life I liked Orlando. However, since age 14(I am now age 20) I dislike Orlando and think I will continue to dislike Orlando. It seems like Orlando is a type of place most people like when young and then starting to dislike it more when they grew up.

4. New Orleans: I thought I liked New Orleans the first 17 years of my life. But since age 18 I started to dislike it a lot.

5. Anchorage: Similar to Alaska in general. Liked it the first 17 years of my life. Since age 17 I dislike Anchorage for the most part.

6. The state of Rhode Island: I actually did dislike it most of my life. However, I briefly thought I liked it age 10 to 14. But from age 14 and later I started to dislike it again.

7. Minneapolis: Most of my life I liked Minneapolis but for the past 2 years since age 18 I started to dislike it much more.

8. The state of Florida: I think I liked Florida up to age 14. Since age 14 I started to dislike it much more because I just found out some more negative things about it I didn't expect Florida to have.

Last edited by *******; 08-13-2011 at 07:30 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 07:41 AM

163 posts, read 375,100 times
I used to hate Florida. I visited a few times, and despised it. I don't think I'd want to move there, but I've softened my stance a bit.

When I was younger, I couldn't fathom really liking the desert. But I've since been through parts of the Southwest, and I find the region to be beautiful. It's a shame the cities in the SW have so many problems plauging them. There's just no good fit for me there.

I'll also say that I never appreciated what the East Coast (tri-state area, mostly) had to offer, until I moved. But that's normal. Grow up somewhere, and you'll think everything about that place is normal. It's a real wake up call to go elsewhere. I took a lot of things for granted back East.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
Colorado Springs once I spent a couple of weekends there.

Spokane until I moved there.

Wyoming until I realized desolate wastelands can also be a form of beautiful.

Western Nebraska until I realized that it was actually pretty in a way.

LA/Southern California, now that I don't have to be anywhere near it.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 AM

5,490 posts, read 13,861,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
I used to hate Florida. I visited a few times, and despised it. I don't think I'd want to move there, but I've softened my stance a bit.

When I was younger, I couldn't fathom really liking the desert. But I've since been through parts of the Southwest, and I find the region to be beautiful. It's a shame the cities in the SW have so many problems plauging them. There's just no good fit for me there.

I'll also say that I never appreciated what the East Coast (tri-state area, mostly) had to offer, until I moved. But that's normal. Grow up somewhere, and you'll think everything about that place is normal. It's a real wake up call to go elsewhere. I took a lot of things for granted back East.
I also felt the same way you did about deserts before and my perception about deserts changing similarly.

For me, it is the other way around for Florida. I used to like it before but started to dislike it more later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Colorado Springs once I spent a couple of weekends there.

Spokane until I moved there.

Wyoming until I realized desolate wastelands can also be a form of beautiful.

Western Nebraska until I realized that it was actually pretty in a way.

LA/Southern California, now that I don't have to be anywhere near it.
My perception of LA/Southern California has changed over time. I used to dislike it before the first 15 years of my life but I started to like it since age 16. However, I don't know if you mean what you said about LA/Southern California and if it is sarcasm or not.

I lived in Western Washington state for about a year and a half and visited plenty of places in Western Washington state. I always wanted to visit areas of Central and Eastern Washington state such as where Spokane is.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:59 AM

189 posts, read 397,889 times
When I was in my young teens I thought my home region of northeast Ohio sucked. Then I actually became mature enough to take in the cultural elements, and having travelled a lot more now, I actually really love the Cleveland area now. Hoping to move back there after graduation.

I still like Columbus, where I live now, but I've come to realize that outside central Columbus (OSU, Arena District, Short North, Downtown and all the villages), it really is a dull sprawling strip-mall filled wasteland, whereas even the inner-ring suburbs of Cleveland have a lot of historic charm and character.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:49 AM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
Default Texas

Texas: I use to despise the state. Simply because I thought it was the polar opposite of places I've lived in, and all the negative stereotypes that I was use to hearing about it from uber-conservative, gun toting, cocky and unwarranted pride etc.

What changed my mind? Actually going there and meeting the people. That's actually the best thing about Texas is its people. They are extroverts, open to say hello, chat it up and tell a story. Some stereotypes a few lived up too, but nonetheless I had very stimulating conversation with a lot of people there and was warmly greeted by many. I also think Texas has a high standard of customer service. Even picking up a rental car at the airport made me feel welcome in the Lone Star State.

As I went off and explored the state I encountered the charms of historic San Antonio, the nostalgia of the quintessential Texas city - Fort Worth, the austere beauty of the desert around El Paso, and of course mighty good food. Even driving out to rural towns like Hico I thought the scenery was really pretty in the hills. I look forward to returning to Texas for more visits. When you travel with an open mind you learn to appreciate places more, and their differences.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:50 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,650,280 times
In this order: New Jersey, South Carolina, Texas

Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Houston for me. I had to warm up in a way and not keep looking for the city and accept the great things it offers for what they are. I have actually grown fond of Houston and is pretty cool at what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City