U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 AM

1,556 posts, read 2,580,047 times

Advertisements

There are several threads on C-D regarding which cities have the best pro sports fans but I haven't seen a thread on which big cities (i.e. metro over a million) have the most support for college teams.

So which cities get the most buzz for college athletic competitons (mostly football and basketball with a little baseball since those are so much more popular than other sports)?

My picks:

Atlanta, Georgia: college football is huge here and the city has strong SEC and ACC support. Events include the SEC championship game, the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl and the Chick-fil-A College Kickoff game. Georgia Tech is actually in teh city and the University of Georgia and Auburn University are close by and all have huge fan bases. Atlanta has pro football, baseball and basketball, but I think college football gets the most buzz (with the Braves being second).

Austin, Texas: Home of the Texas Longhorns and you see tons of UT gear around town. Austin is one of the bigger cities in the US with no pro sports, so most of the sports enthusiasm in the city is directed towards U of Texas.

Columbus, Ohio: Similar to Austin but with Ohio State. They do have a pro hockey team, but no NFL, NBA or MLB, so Ohio State athletics serve as the focal point.

Honorable mentions include
Dallas: The Cotton Bowl and Red River Shootout are big, but the Cowboys, Mavs and Rangers have lots of fans.

LA: USC and UCLA have fans, but there are also tons pro sports and other activities competing for attention, so the city clearly doesn't revolve around those programs.

Detroit: with Ann Arbor so close by I assume U of Michigan is very popular in the city, but again the city seems more pro sports oriented.

What does everyone else think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 AM

13,304 posts, read 21,457,609 times
Raleigh is a huge college sports town. As one corner of the Triangle formed with Durham and Chapel Hill, the area is teaming with NC State, UNC and Duke students, alum, fans and supporters. The college spirit in the Triangle even often re-awakens transplants in support of their alma maters from elsewhere.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:25 AM

6,627 posts, read 13,430,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
There are several threads on C-D regarding which cities have the best pro sports fans but I haven't seen a thread on which big cities (i.e. metro over a million) have the most support for college teams.

So which cities get the most buzz for college athletic competitons (mostly football and basketball with a little baseball since those are so much more popular than other sports)?

My picks:

Atlanta, Georgia: college football is huge here and the city has strong SEC and ACC support. Events include the SEC championship game, the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl and the Chick-fil-A College Kickoff game. Georgia Tech is actually in teh city and the University of Georgia and Auburn University are close by and all have huge fan bases. Atlanta has pro football, baseball and basketball, but I think college football gets the most buzz (with the Braves being second).

Austin, Texas: Home of the Texas Longhorns and you see tons of UT gear around town. Austin is one of the bigger cities in the US with no pro sports, so most of the sports enthusiasm in the city is directed towards U of Texas.

Columbus, Ohio: Similar to Austin but with Ohio State. They do have a pro hockey team, but no NFL, NBA or MLB, so Ohio State athletics serve as the focal point.

Honorable mentions include
Dallas: The Cotton Bowl and Red River Shootout are big, but the Cowboys, Mavs and Rangers have lots of fans.

LA: USC and UCLA have fans, but there are also tons pro sports and other activities competing for attention, so the city clearly doesn't revolve around those programs.

Detroit: with Ann Arbor so close by I assume U of Michigan is very popular in the city, but again the city seems more pro sports oriented.

What does everyone else think?
I agree about Atlanta, Columbus, and Austin. However I feel Atlanta is unique in the sense that it's a congregation of sports fans of an entire region. Graduates of Georgia Tech, Georgia, Clemson, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, etc, all seem to gravitate to the city. Austin and Columbus aren't centers for a variety of teams...they're simply the location of University of Texas, and Ohio State University.

You may even be able to throw Chicago in there as similar to Atlanta. Chicago is sort of like the Mecca of the Big Ten. I feel when people graduate from schools like Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc, a great deal of graduates move to Chicago since it's the most major city of the region. I may be off, but I had three friends go to Big Ten schools...two of them moved to Chicago, and when the other goes to visit his old college buddies, he goes to Chicago.

Can any Big Tenners out there confirm or deny this? FWIW, I think the more Eastern schools of the Big Ten like Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State don't necessarily follow this trend as much as the Western Big Ten schools.

P.S. If this is true, I wonder if this will result in a greater influx of Nebraska graduates into Chicago now that they're part of the Big Ten.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:51 PM

70,986 posts, read 98,005,382 times
Nebraska graduates might stay home and live in Omaha or go to Kansas City.

Pittsburgh could be another to consider, with Pitt Basketball and it's rivalry with West Virginia, which is only an hour south in Morgantown.

Boston is great for college hockey.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:24 PM

12,390 posts, read 26,488,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I agree about Atlanta, Columbus, and Austin. However I feel Atlanta is unique in the sense that it's a congregation of sports fans of an entire region. Graduates of Georgia Tech, Georgia, Clemson, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, etc, all seem to gravitate to the city. Austin and Columbus aren't centers for a variety of teams...they're simply the location of University of Texas, and Ohio State University.

You may even be able to throw Chicago in there as similar to Atlanta. Chicago is sort of like the Mecca of the Big Ten. I feel when people graduate from schools like Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc, a great deal of graduates move to Chicago since it's the most major city of the region. I may be off, but I had three friends go to Big Ten schools...two of them moved to Chicago, and when the other goes to visit his old college buddies, he goes to Chicago.

Can any Big Tenners out there confirm or deny this? FWIW, I think the more Eastern schools of the Big Ten like Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State don't necessarily follow this trend as much as the Western Big Ten schools.

P.S. If this is true, I wonder if this will result in a greater influx of Nebraska graduates into Chicago now that they're part of the Big Ten.
That crowd is only in certain areas thankfully, mostly centered around N. Lincoln Park and Lakeview.. Chicago is def a pro city...bears/cubs/bulls/sox/blackhawks absolutely dominate and drown out anything "college".

Can somebody make a thread about Columbus vs Austin please. I'd like to see them duke it out.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:49 PM

285 posts, read 597,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That crowd is only in certain areas thankfully, mostly centered around N. Lincoln Park and Lakeview.. Chicago is def a pro city...bears/cubs/bulls/sox/blackhawks absolutely dominate and drown out anything "college".

Can somebody make a thread about Columbus vs Austin please. I'd like to see them duke it out.
I'm going to make a Columbus vs Austin thread in the City vs City forum.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 PM

6,627 posts, read 13,430,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That's funny you mention that because one of my friends is in Lincoln Park.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:15 PM

12,390 posts, read 26,488,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That's funny you mention that because one of my friends is in Lincoln Park.
There are quite a few college themed bars in the area. I.e. a Michigan bar, Ohio state bar, Notre Dame bar, etc that cater to the grads on Saturdays, it isn't representative of the whole city though.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:50 PM

13,390 posts, read 23,415,190 times
Atlanta is a college football Mecca. It would be my top pick for college sports.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM

345 posts, read 771,437 times
To me, and I'm being unbiased. It's Kansas City. We used to be headquarters of the NCAA. We host the Big 12 Basketball Tournament (past 3 years and next 3 years). I'm gonna break it down this way by fans:

27% KU
25% Missouri
20% K-State
17% Nebraska
3% Iowa State
8% other (Oklahoma, Iowa, etc.)

KC is a huge college mecca. If you live here from October to March Madness, you will see what college sports means to Kansas City. Bars are packed, flags are waving on houses, t-shirts everywhere. It's crazy!

I can see how people would say Atlanta, but to me it falls short to KC. I don't think it would be Austin or Columbus because they are only 1 college, to be huge you have to have a lot. Even though they have great fans, it ccan have more and could mean more to the NCAA or thier own conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City