Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 07:47 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times

Advertisements

Lots of people battling with straw men on this thread. Doesn't that get tiring?

Old 08-17-2011, 07:48 AM

322 posts, read 614,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
...Not to go off topic but Florida heat destroys your skin. I still got love for Florida though. See you in 3 weeks!

On Topic,

NYC is big, real big. Do you all think its pound for pound greatest city? For Example: If you divide its population by 3, its akin to the San Fran or Philly CSA. These same numbers (GDP, Company Hq's, and whatever other scale you want to measure it by) can be divided by 3 for comparison
Yeah the Florida sun but its a proven fact that people that live in humid areas age better then people that live in dry areas. So I'll be nice and purdy when I get old lol

Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Dear thread, please note that "greatest" does not necessarily mean the same thing as "best".

Old 08-17-2011, 07:52 AM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Greatest for everyone, well no, but that is a tremendously WEAK argument on the premis. NYC is the greatest city in about every concievable fashion. Whether someone desires it, wants it, likes it etc is purely preference and subjective. On the the power, influence, status, quality, quantity hardly.

From what it offers and what it is, honestly a lot of people sound sour. It truly is all that and more. To suggest otherwise really sounds a little juvenile. Yes agree it is not the desired place for everyone nor has to be; but personal preference does not diminish what it is and the power and energy it creates.

On it being the greatest it is. Is it anyones favorite, that is subjective

Edit: all this livable etc. To me these metrics are a lifestyle choice. Many people want an easier life, comfort, to be content. From that perspective NY isnt for everyone, nor does it ever have to be. Liveable (and honestly on this personal preferance most of these I could not personally live in) has nothing to do with what the city offers. Liveable is COL, personal QOL etc. straw man on these lists many times Quite honestly I personally find many of these lists to have tremendously overrated places. I mean really most on these are laughable to even suggest on the same planet with NY in about any category. If someone loves these places or chooses them it is a completely different story, places like Austin etc that often get listed while fun and offer a lot, I mean really outside of an individual personal choice, they are not even in the same ballpark, that is not to sound harsh in any way. And on being less costly, well again to me there is a reason for that. I also understand an anti-NY sentiment because it is annoying to hear it is better etc. but because it is annoying does not make it not so
Who cares about all that stuff? No one is denying (from what I read) NY's status. We all know it's great and all that. It's been repeated too many times. Some people don't like NY. Okay deal with it. Everyone doesn't have to think it's the #1 city because of it's power or influence.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:23 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Who cares about all that stuff? No one is denying (from what I read) NY's status. We all know it's great and all that. It's been repeated too many times. Some people don't like NY. Okay deal with it. Everyone doesn't have to think it's the #1 city because of it's power or influence.

Alot of people don't like a lot of cities, but we don't make threads solely for the purpose of bashing them. People aren't neccessarily defending their city against being the "greatest". They are just defending their city. The OP's putting words in everyones mouth when he creates silly posts like this. And most on here, have seen these posts a million times. There entertaining to some, annoying to most and all around not productive to those who go to c-d to learn something. Misinformation causes alot of confusion.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
2010 census
Are you sure? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
Nope, doesn't even begin to make sense at all. This thread should not exist it is just an excuse for people to hate on NYC but that's nothing new.

New York doesn't need to go back to being the biggest at something it moved beyond, like ports and manufacturing. That's part of the bragging rights, and why New York exercise such outward influence. It is the capital of finance and of corporate america itself. When ports get used, when hotels get built, when Orlando expands, New York is behind the money and the power that makes it possible, and New York provides an oversize share of the tourists that keep the place profitable.

If any state should be thankful to New York, it's Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
Not true. The whole point of this thread is not to talk trash about NYC but explain to all the blind NY fanatics that NYC is not the best at everything. It doesn't have the biggest film industry. It's not the biggest port. It's not leading city in technological development. It's not the most diverse and integrated city. I've already put up links from CNN and Foreign Policy that says LA is. It may be the best at alot of things but not everything.

If I found a vote saying that overall people say that Orlando is the best vacation destination due to its wide variety of theme parks and places to eat, does that make it a better vacation destination then LA or NYC? Overall Orlando has the most quality and quantities but that doesn't mean I can come on the NYC forum and run my mouth about how Orlando is the best. Does that even begin to make sense?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 AM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
@ckhthankgod - There are 500,000 more people living in New York according to the 2010 Census. We'll bump New York down in 2020.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
@ckhthankgod - There are 500,000 more people living in New York according to the 2010 Census. We'll bump New York down in 2020.
Perhaps, but the post was incorrect. Considering that NY is 30th in land size, while FL is 22nd, it is remarkable that NY has held so many people for so long. Especially given that many people have left for other states(some have come back too).

Even if Upstate NY became it's own state, it is already on par with NC now in terms of economy and would be about 12th in population.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Nope, doesn't even begin to make sense at all. This thread should not exist it is just an excuse for people to hate on NYC but that's nothing new.

New York doesn't need to go back to being the biggest at something it moved beyond, like ports and manufacturing. That's part of the bragging rights, and why New York exercise such outward influence. It is the capital of finance and of corporate america itself. When ports get used, when hotels get built, when Orlando expands, New York is behind the money and the power that makes it possible, and New York provides an oversize share of the tourists that keep the place profitable.

If any state should be thankful to New York, it's Florida.
NYC is part of a country where one city exist for the other. New York provides tourists which creates profits which get invested into stocks in the NYSE which NYC benefits from. NYC would not exist if it weren't for Philly. DC is one legislative change from destroying NYC. The film industry headquarters would not exist if it weren't for the studios in LA etc. etc. NYC has influence over others but its a joint collaboration not a one-sided domination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City