Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your pick?
Charlotte 186 48.69%
Kansas City 196 51.31%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
Charlotte also has Northlake and Carolina Place.
I included those malls in with the regional mall section. Along with the mall in Gastonia (I forgot the new name) there really isn't anything that spectacular about them. Northlake has more potential to be like Southpark with some of the construction going on. It is really starting to become a distinct district in northern Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 03:10 PM

209 posts, read 461,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know Birkdale has shopping, but Baxter seems to be more residential. I haven't driven through there in some time though.
The shopping seems to be more mom and pop stores rather than chains.
Shops & Services | Baxter Town Center

Old 03-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know Birkdale has shopping, but Baxter seems to be more residential. I haven't driven through there in some time though.
Baxter has some shopping. It's more akin to arboretum than Birkdale though even though it does a nice job of mixing residential, retail,and business.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what stores Charlotte has that KC doesn't that makes shopping better in Charlotte.
I won't go through the trouble of trying to find a complete list of stores, but I did notice that Charlotte has a Neiman Marcus while KC does not. Charlotte also has a Ritz Carlton hotel (while KC doesn't). Though these represent only 1 clothing store and 1 hotel chain; it's logical to assume that higher end tends to follow other higher ends. With that said, Charlotte probably (not sure here) has more higher end stores. Many high end retailers tend to follow markets with a Neiman Marcus. For the record, St. Louis has a Ritz Carlton and Neimans.

Neiman Marcus Locations & Store Hours

Luxury Accommodation: Find The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Locations

Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 PM

341 posts, read 761,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I won't go through the trouble of trying to find a complete list of stores, but I did notice that Charlotte has a Neiman Marcus while KC does not. Charlotte also has a Ritz Carlton hotel (while KC doesn't). Though these represent only 1 clothing store and 1 hotel chain; it's logical to assume that higher end tends to follow other higher ends. With that said, Charlotte probably (not sure here) has more higher end stores. Many high end retailers tend to follow markets with a Neiman Marcus. For the record, St. Louis has a Ritz Carlton and Neimans.

Neiman Marcus Locations & Store Hours

Luxury Accommodation: Find The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Locations
Charlotte has Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Tory Burch, Ralph Lauren, and Seven For All Mankind which
To take it down to the highest end brands KC has Burberry, Kate Spade, and Tiffany & Co.
As for Hall's, they don't carry quite as many brands as Neiman Marcus, and they also have a lot more cheaper brands found at stores like Macy's. They have Chanel and Dior like NM Charlotte has. Also, NM at SouthPark has a Van Cleef & Arpels boutique, which is one of the most exclusive brands. I don't think they even have on at NM in St. Louis.
Oak Park Mall is just like a normal mall with a Nordstrom attached. It isn't any better than (or as good as) Northlake.

Also, I'm a little confused about all the love for KC. Maybe the site I was looking at is wrong or something, because Charlotte beat KC out of the water in almost every category: Crime, Quality of Life, Weather, Pollution, Population Density, Growth, Diversity, Household Income, etc. Definitely shopping too. If you don't understand why Charlotte has better shopping, then you obviously don't care about shopping anyway.

Last edited by ct36; 03-15-2013 at 09:12 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
Crime, Quality of Life, Weather, Pollution, Population Density, Growth, Diversity, Household Income, etc. Definitely shopping too. If you don't understand why Charlotte has better shopping, then you obviously don't care about shopping anyway.
Just for the record, Kansas City is quite a bit denser than Charlotte, both in its urban core and metro-wide. The urban core of KC is almost twice as dense and the urbanized area (metro region) of KC is a 1/3 more densely populated.

I would also take KC over Charlotte on quality of life and weather, too, but those are totally subjective. I'd also take it on "shopping" because it has better, cooler independent retailers and a generally funkier/hipper vibe. Again, that's subjective.

Metro KC also has a higher median household income, but just very slightly. It's so close, I'd call that a wash.

I don't have any idea about pollution. There's lots of different kinds (air, water, soil, etc.) and I don't know which is worse. I don't know about household income

Gotta concede Charlotte is more diverse and growing faster (though not in a way I think adds much to the city, and that could be said of 98% of cities in America, KC included). But those 2 things are not enough to win my vote.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
KC had a Ritz. It's now a InterContinental and I think it's just as nice as a Ritz. As far as NM, yea, KC doesn't one. I have one near me here, but have never been in it. So yea, shoppng is not something I care about. Personally when I do shop, I would just prefer the more modest stores, so maybe KC people are like that too.

I was just wondering. Like I said, I don't notice any difference, but shopping is probably the last thing I think about when in a city.

I already said I would choose Charlotte over KC now. Five years ago, I don't think I would have said that. KC is a great and under rated city and I still think it's one of the country's unknown secrets. But personally, I don't miss the place, but I just don't know that I would like Charlotte if I actually lived there.

I think that if I had not lived in either, I would prefer KC over Charlotte, but since I have lived in KC, I would choose Charlotte.

BTW, I would rather live 8 hours from the rockes than 2 hours from the beach. Colorado is one of my favorite things about KC.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Just for the record, Kansas City is quite a bit denser than Charlotte, both in its urban core and metro-wide. The urban core of KC is almost twice as dense and the urbanized area (metro region) of KC is a 1/3 more densely populated.

I would also take KC over Charlotte on quality of life and weather, too, but those are totally subjective. I'd also take it on "shopping" because it has better, cooler independent retailers and a generally funkier/hipper vibe. Again, that's subjective.

Metro KC also has a higher median household income, but just very slightly. It's so close, I'd call that a wash.

I don't have any idea about pollution. There's lots of different kinds (air, water, soil, etc.) and I don't know which is worse. I don't know about household income

Gotta concede Charlotte is more diverse and growing faster (though not in a way I think adds much to the city, and that could be said of 98% of cities in America, KC included). But those 2 things are not enough to win my vote.
While I will concede that Kansas City had a more urban and dense center city, I do have to challenge your claim about Kansas City being more dense, both city and metro.
Kansas City 315 sq.mi. 463k 1470ppsm
Charlotte 298 sq.mi. 751k 2520ppsm
Unless I'm missing what you're saying, looking at the facts the city of Charlotte is more dense than Kansas City. Looking at the metro.
KC 2,035,335 7952 sq.mi. 256ppsm
Charlotte 1,758,038 3149 sq.mi. 558ppsm.
So, in the metro Charlotte is more dense. I did this based off of the old definitions. For those familiar with the new definitions please breakdown KC.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
While I will concede that Kansas City had a more urban and dense center city, I do have to challenge your claim about Kansas City being more dense, both city and metro.
Kansas City 315 sq.mi. 463k 1470ppsm
Charlotte 298 sq.mi. 751k 2520ppsm
Unless I'm missing what you're saying, looking at the facts the city of Charlotte is more dense than Kansas City. Looking at the metro.
KC 2,035,335 7952 sq.mi. 256ppsm
Charlotte 1,758,038 3149 sq.mi. 558ppsm.
So, in the metro Charlotte is more dense. I did this based off of the old definitions. For those familiar with the new definitions please breakdown KC.
Just to quickly play referee. I don't know the answer, but....

Kansas has larger counties. That is why their MSA is over twice the size in land area than Charlotte. That is why their MSA is not very dense and it is also why MSA is not a very good geographic level for density comparisons.

A better place to start would be the urban area. Even that might have some problems... but far fewer.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 PM

130 posts, read 290,311 times
Kansas City's downtown feels a lot larger, but Charlotte has much more taller buildings...

Sports obviously goes to Charlotte since KC doesn't have an NBA team. you can say charlotte doesnt have mlb, but NBA is a lot larger than MLB

Things to do: KC

Shopping: KC

I voted KC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City