Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your pick?
Charlotte 186 48.69%
Kansas City 196 51.31%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times

Advertisements

KCATA has about 55-60k riders a day. So Charlotte wins in transit overall, but KC does have a solid urban core bus system. Nearly all transit riders in KC are in a relatively small area. But with no rail and terrible regional transit options, the metro still has a long way to go.

Sad because KCMO once had one of the most comprehensive, largest and highest ridership transit systems in the country with street cars, commuter rail, trolley buses, buses and cable cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I saw Wiki's info on KC transit as well, and something just doesn't add up.

Quote:
The KCATA announced Jan. 15 that 2012 Metro ridership exceeded 16.1 million trips, the second highest in two decades. Ridership was up 3.6 percent over 2011, a 9.5 percent increase over the last two years.
LS bus route ridership grows

^^^The info above backs up a similar post kcmo made recently:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post28767515

It would seem as though Wiki has gotten things wrong; I'm not sure. Anyway, here's some info on Charlotte's annual ridership.

Quote:
CATS, the largest transit system in the Carolinas served 26.5 million riders in FY2012 with a weekday average of 82,407 trips
Whoops. I stand corrected on that one. Put me back in the Charlotte column for better transit.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
You seem to use this statement everytime a point isn't in KC's favor.
But on the other hand, whenever Charlotte posters don't have something better to say, they say something about other cities being close by. Just an observation.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:43 PM

209 posts, read 461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
But on the other hand, whenever Charlotte posters don't have something better to say, they say something about other cities being close by. Just an observation.
This is not relevant to my post.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Quick question....why is it Uptown Charlotte instead of Downtown Charlotte? It just sounds like a secondary business district to me.
"There is much confusion brought about by the use of the terms "Uptown" and "Downtown" for Charlotte's center city area. These terms do not reference different areas of town and are thus interchangeable.
The history of the dual names is contested, yet prior to the mid-late 1980s, the term "Downtown" was used by residents, media and city leaders for the center city. During the 1980s, a massive campaign was launched to revamp the image of the downtown area and the term "Uptown" was introduced to the general public. On February 14, 1987, the Charlotte Observer began using the term "Uptown" as a way to promote a more positive upbeat image of the center city area.[3] School teachers were provided with "historical" documents justifying use of the term to teach to students. (Proclamation designating central shopping and business district as Uptown Charlotte by City of Charlotte Mayor John M. Belk on September 23, 1974)
Though many[who?] feel that the term "Uptown Charlotte" is a new term in the last 10 years, there are many who claim that local residents from three or more generations past will attest to having called the center city area Uptown their entire lives.[citation needed] This allegedly is due to the main intersection in the original center city, Trade St. and Tryon St., having been the point of highest elevation. When people came from outlying areas to the city, they would say they were going 'up to town', a phrase that was eventually shortened to 'Uptown'.[citation needed] Conflicting and equally unsubstantiated reports exist of residents who used the term "Uptown" as the name for the area now known as NODA because of the higher street numbers. NODA refers to an area north east from the uptown/downtown, it stands for 'North Davidson'. The area is up and coming with some trendy food places and companies finding their homes there."

Charlotte center city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
This is not relevant to my post.
How was your post relevant in the first place??

Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
How was your post relevant in the first place??
I clearly did not reply to you.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Things to do: Charlotte wins this one because of its location with a world famous amusement park a short drive away and they are slab in the middle of the mountains and the beach
Better Downtown: This is no competition Charlotte's 'uptown' is home to many more clubs and bars, along with more tourist options.
Better Shopping: I would say this is KC although I'm not a big shopper I have heard there are some great stores in the KC area
Better Public Transit: That would be Charlotte's light rail system which is very clean and fast.
Better Airport: LOL this is easily Charlotte without a doubt they have the 4th largest airport in the country with one of the largest food courts in the world.
Better Sports:This one is KC hands down, the obsession with Chiefs football is amazing and quite surreal. Charlotte's sports teams are notoriously bad.
Better Schools: This is probably a tie if you're going by state then it would be NC because of Duke and UNC Chapel Hill
Better Suburbs: This would be KC they have very low prices on homes
Quality of Life: This is close but I'm going to give it to Charlotte it's a very modern city and a very young city with clean places to have fun.
Cost of Living: No doubt it's KC especially when you look at the mortgage prices
More Urban/Big City Feel: This is Charlotte, it is the 2nd fastest growing city in the US. It is very modern and actually has nearly 1 million people compared to KC with about half a million. It is nicknamed the king of the south due to how booming it is...you could say KC is past its prime
My choice: Charlotte it is up and coming and a beautiful place with shining buildings everywhere, also it is near many attractions while KC has hardly anything.

Hope I helped :-)

Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyohio89 View Post
Things to do: Charlotte wins this one because of its location with a world famous amusement park a short drive away and they are slab in the middle of the mountains and the beach
Better Downtown: This is no competition Charlotte's 'uptown' is home to many more clubs and bars, along with more tourist options.
Better Shopping: I would say this is KC although I'm not a big shopper I have heard there are some great stores in the KC area
Better Public Transit: That would be Charlotte's light rail system which is very clean and fast.
Better Airport: LOL this is easily Charlotte without a doubt they have the 4th largest airport in the country with one of the largest food courts in the world.
Better Sports:This one is KC hands down, the obsession with Chiefs football is amazing and quite surreal. Charlotte's sports teams are notoriously bad.
Better Schools: This is probably a tie if you're going by state then it would be NC because of Duke and UNC Chapel Hill
Better Suburbs: This would be KC they have very low prices on homes
Quality of Life: This is close but I'm going to give it to Charlotte it's a very modern city and a very young city with clean places to have fun.
Cost of Living: No doubt it's KC especially when you look at the mortgage prices
More Urban/Big City Feel: This is Charlotte, it is the 2nd fastest growing city in the US. It is very modern and actually has nearly 1 million people compared to KC with about half a million. It is nicknamed the king of the south due to how booming it is...you could say KC is past its prime
My choice: Charlotte it is up and coming and a beautiful place with shining buildings everywhere, also it is near many attractions while KC has hardly anything.

Hope I helped :-)

LOL............Give me Kansas City. Have you ever been to either one? Apparently not. When did Charlotte get nicknamed "King of the South? You do know their is a little spot in the road called ATLANTA. Charlotte's "boom" has slowed considerably. KC is way more urban than Charlotte will ever be. Charlotte does NOT have the 4th largest airport in the US. Largest in area is Denver, followed by Dallas/Fort Worth, then Hartsfield/Atlanta, then Chicago O'Hare. And since when is it the 2nd fastest growing in the US?
As of 2013, the largest US airport by size is the Denver International Airport. The second largest airport is Dallas/Fort Worth. The busiest airport in the world is Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta.

Plus you are replying to a thread that was dead since MARCH?

Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
LOL............Give me Kansas City. Have you ever been to either one? Apparently not. When did Charlotte get nicknamed "King of the South? You do know their is a little spot in the road called ATLANTA. Charlotte's "boom" has slowed considerably. KC is way more urban than Charlotte will ever be. Charlotte does NOT have the 4th largest airport in the US. Largest in area is Denver, followed by Dallas/Fort Worth, then Hartsfield/Atlanta, then Chicago O'Hare. And since when is it the 2nd fastest growing in the US?
As of 2013, the largest US airport by size is the Denver International Airport. The second largest airport is Dallas/Fort Worth. The busiest airport in the world is Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta.

Plus you are replying to a thread that was dead since MARCH?
The poster is fairly misguided by a lot. Maybe they meant "Queen of the South", because that's a popular nickname given to Charlotte.

Charlotte is growing at 3.32%, making it one of the fastest growing cities in the country; Kansas City is growing at 1.44%.

As for airports, Charlotte is the 8th busiest in the country; Kansas City is #34.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City