Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 04:21 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
Jacksonville--nice weather, nice beaches
Hate to break it to you but virtually every city in Florida has nice weather and nice beaches... I guess they are all underrated then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
nice airport, nice zoo, beautiful river. Just a nice, under the radar city.
Are you fricking kidding me? Nice airport? ZOO?? That's what makes it underrated??? That's really funny, you must be a comedian. Again, you could name just about any city in the country underrated on that basis. I suggest you get out a little more pal, or look up the definition of underrated.

The truth is that Jacksonville is neither overrated nor underrated. It's known as a provincial backwater (despite its pretty large size) which is exactly what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 04:25 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Obviously, everything.
Ooh aah, you really showed me! Can't wait to hear about all the great things in Jacksonville... I already know about the great airport and zoo! Don't know how I missed them.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 AM

5,545 posts, read 2,036,931 times
Both Dallas and Fort Worth are vastly underrated. They both offer a wide array of cultural destinations with rich histories, thriving economies, excellent quality of life and overall amenities, affordable housing, and great communities. Lots of people on C-D are quick to bash them (I notice a trend in that they often come last in polls here on the City vs. City forum).

Old 12-23-2011, 03:21 PM

345 posts, read 976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Hate to break it to you but virtually every city in Florida has nice weather and nice beaches... I guess they are all underrated then?

Are you fricking kidding me? Nice airport? ZOO?? That's what makes it underrated??? That's really funny, you must be a comedian. Again, you could name just about any city in the country underrated on that basis. I suggest you get out a little more pal, or look up the definition of underrated.

The truth is that Jacksonville is neither overrated nor underrated. It's known as a provincial backwater (despite its pretty large size) which is exactly what it is.
Let's see:

Underrate - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Definition of UNDERRATE

transitive verb

: to rate too low : undervalue

How exactly is that an inappropriate use of the word "underrated"? Based on some people's descriptions of the city as a "dump", "cultural wasteland" or "provincial backwater", one would not expect much out of Jacksonville. However, from my personal experiences with the city, it actually has a good amount of culture, natural scenery and local flavor, which makes it in my mind, underrated. It certainly doesn't deserve to be relegated to the status of simply being a rest stop on the way to Orlando or Miami. I threw out the zoo and airport as examples of some of what the city has to offer, which is in no way exclusive. I can list plenty of others.

And yes, other cities in Florida have nice weather and nice beaches....however in terms of Miami and Orlando, and to a lesser extent Tampa-St. Pete, those cities are viewed as major tourist attractions. Jacksonville doesn't necessarily get that recognition, although I think it deserves more.

I know we're not all important enough to live in Midtown Manhattan, but that doesn't necessarily make other places devoid of culture, regardless of what you might think.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:17 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
I tend to think of Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Cincinnati, etc.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:05 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,713 times
These cities are definitely underated on C-D(in real life people like them):

Houston
Charlotte
Kansas City
Cleveland
Pittsburgh

Last edited by JMT; 02-27-2018 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 04:15 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
Both Dallas and Fort Worth are vastly underrated. They both offer a wide array of cultural destinations with rich histories, thriving economies, excellent quality of life and overall amenities, affordable housing, and great communities. Lots of people on C-D are quick to bash them (I notice a trend in that they often come last in polls here on the City vs. City forum).
No doubt. Many posters think Dallas is a cowboy town, or as portrayed in old TV shows (never watched). Some people tend to think it's where rural hicks live. The reality is quite different.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:20 PM

19 posts, read 35,520 times
San Jose is underrated because most people group it in with San Francisco.

Last edited by Save_Ferris; 12-26-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 06:33 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Save_Ferris View Post
San Jose is overrated because most people group it in with San Francisco.
True, but no one rates San Jose very high, making it hard to say that it is overrated.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:41 PM

19 posts, read 35,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
True, but no one rates San Jose very high, making it hard to say that it is overrated.
*underrated. Also, Portland never gets half the attention that Seattle does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City