Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 03:34 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia

Outside of Center City, Philadelphia deals with a lot of third-world like conditions. There are blocks and blocks of abandoned homes in Philadelphia. Philly doesn't even have any key industries that attract college educated to the city. The city is plagued with unemployment. Crime is a major issue in Philadelphia.

I like the city but it is one of CD's favorites. It's highly overrated on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 03:48 PM

102 posts, read 189,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Philadelphia

Outside of Center City, Philadelphia deals with a lot of third-world like conditions. There are blocks and blocks of abandoned homes in Philadelphia. Philly doesn't even have any key industries that attract college educated to the city. The city is plagued with unemployment. Crime is a major issue in Philadelphia.

I respect your views on Philly, but really, its a favorite on CD? I'll keep a sharper eye out for it. The cities I see with the most ACDP (amateur city data policemen) are New York, Chicago, and L..A.
....welcome to the jungle....we got fun and games.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
My feelings for Chicago are sentimentally in agreement with the OP, I agree with the OP the city has much to be proud of with River North, the Loop, Northside, Winnetka, and other rich enclaves but the city desperately needs to clean up the rest. Its inhumanatarian what those people in the west and south sides are living like and the city is too corrupt to offer them any form of assistance. Look at Chicago's public schools.

All these problems set aside its nearly sickening how posters from cities with just harsh alter realities like Chicago, Philly, Baltimore, etc can ignore their issues to go on bashing to a pulp cities that have better humanitarian conditions. Chicagoans in particular do at their best to distance themselves from Detroit and the image Detroit has when much of south and west sides can physically relate to Detroit.

I like Chicago but my feelings for it are much of the same I have for LA, Baltimore, Saint Louis, great cities with not so great living conditions for MILLIONS due to city wide corruption. Miami is no paradise either and has its issues but the posters from MIA are not hiding the negatives to overly boost and sell the city on only its positive qualities.
Holy crap..a balanced post. Nice job

Old 09-10-2011, 03:56 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosequis man View Post
Holy crap..a balanced post. Nice job
I've always said Chicago is way overrated...besides bad weather, bad economy, high taxes, high crime, the vibe of the residents in general was the worst...people go there thinking they get ''midwest friendliness'' so they think they see it...spend longer amounts of time there and there is nothing friendly about the place; by the way, I found Chicagoans like to use their elbows...

Old 09-10-2011, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 6,908 times
DC is one of these cities. The city has a good economy and low unemployment but that's about it. It still needs a lot of touching up. DC has dome pretty well lately but DC STILL has a larger crime rate than other large cities like Philly and Chicago, which both seem to get ridiculed for its issues more than DC on this site.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM

DC is definately one. The reason Philly and Chicago get ridiculed more is because their attitudes are arrogant as they call themselves friendly and brotherly. Anything but. Snakes have always run those towns, and like attracts like and they surface here when anything about them bad is exposed instead of downplayed. Trolls here are never truly ignored, right? The somewhat milder troll appears, usually from a megacity, usually from the midwest...a dudewho is too self conscious about keeping that image of cool and civic pride to bring ...all.. the data forward, bad with the good. Its constantly twisted and hidden and ignored in Chicago. Everything from police stats to their amount of poor and homeless! And for some reason,Only they are allowed to speak poorly of their glaring shortcomings. This goes for all cities.You never see pics on city data showing the vast ghettos of these prime and influential cities. Controllers is what they are. Bullies. Time to expose places like Chicago and New York for what they really are. The worlds largest carrots dangled before the worlds biggest jackases.

Last edited by dosequis man; 09-10-2011 at 04:36 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 04:08 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra72 View Post
DC is one of these cities. The city has a good economy and low unemployment but that's about it. It still needs a lot of touching up. DC has dome pretty well lately but DC STILL has a larger crime rate than other large cities like Philly and Chicago, which both seem to get ridiculed for its issues more than DC on this site.
While its true that DC has always been known for high crime and still has high crime the city has made far more strides than both Chicago and Philly to clean its rep of its 1980's and 1990's murder capital rep. DC gets more respect because the city has made TREMENDOUS strides to lower crime and this year for example is the safest DC has been in the last 40 years. Chicago's crime rates have been decreasing, kudos to Chicagoans for that but lets not get carried away it hasn't decreased by large and still has some of the most violent streaks of crime in the country but credit goes to them for sorting on their crime. The efforts are slowly paying off. Philly on the other hand has been stagnant or actually slightly worse than a few years ago on crime and especially homicides. Presently Philly's homicides are higher in 2011 than they were in the same time in 2010 and 2009. This site grouped together by the Philly police has all the crime info Philadelphia Police Department | Crime Statistics

I understand that most crimes are secluded to only certain areas of the city for Chicago and Philly and that not all are plagued with these gruesome conditions but the first step to gaining respect is to admit to your cities problems not making excuses about it. A person dead is still a person dead, a teenger walking home from school who is shot and killed by gangs is still killed, its sickening how posters for the aforementioned cities put that away to boost select neighborhoods of their city like downtown, etc when a large portion of your city is in agony.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:24 PM

292 posts, read 752,719 times
Quote:
I respect your views on Philly, but really, its a favorite on CD? I'll keep a sharper eye out for it. The cities I see with the most ACDP (amateur city data policemen) are New York, Chicago, and L..A.
....welcome to the jungle....we got fun and games.
If you don't know Philly is a favorite on CD, then you clearly don't know these forums at all. Not to mention, LA has far fewer boosters on City Data than Philly, San Francisco, DC, and several others.

Not to be a jerk, but this is a stupid thread that is clearly just a front for you to bash a city you don't like. The point of this forum is to discuss and compare cities, not give you a pedestal to give your subjective opinions.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:31 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,097 times
LOL, you just regurgitated the usual crap about Philly. Hyperbole at it's most ignorant. Crime and unemployment are issues everywhere these days, and Philly is neither the worst nor the best when it comes to those things. Every time I drive through the city I'm reminded how a couple of relatively compact ghettos distort people's perception of what Philadelphia is like. Philly has plenty - truly plenty - of detractors on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Philadelphia

Old 09-10-2011, 04:33 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Yeah..because Chicago Illinois is a prime example of an overrated city whose praises are sung by these amateur booster dorks, unemployed losers, or elitest bumsniffers..all with 900 to 3,000 meaningless CD posts and essentially no life ( former cubs manager Lee elia's rant about Chicago said it all long ago) and until you get out of your northside or suburban bubble and drive the vast swaths of depraved and downtrodden the city of Chicago breeds on its south and west sides, you should just let others expose your city for the huge and ugly bad side, which people who move there may need to know about. Chicago is like a hot supermodel who wants to sleep witch's, then you find out she has herpes and 9 kids. Ask those folks in little Iraq (southside) how the big city life is treating them a year or so after the buzz of the so called cultural advantages wear off. Any Mega city in the world is founded and designed by and for those who actually believe that they are more important in the grand scheme of earth than places like bumfudge south Dakota. Its a false sense of cool. A false sense of genuine. For the masses who need tangible bull**** and shiny big objects to keep their interest. As a famous author said of Chicago, its a place of "wide lawns and narrow minds"...ironically they are in many ways worse than the small towns they love to bash regularly. They like to pretend that they built the herbie Hancock building and that must mean that 60% of their city ain't ghettofied. Segregation.. and ostriches living in the nice areas.
Your new account names get more and more lazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City