U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:58 AM

102 posts, read 171,763 times

Advertisements

You come to city data and you see the same 5 or 6 major cities praised (or ridiculed) ...what is the city here in America that puts up the best front? The best facade? The most boosterism? And then when people visit, or especially when they move there, they are looking to get out! Or perhaps the city where people have lived all their young life and cannot wait to escape. I am going with....
Chicago.
Not because dementor is right though.
Because when you live in Chicago, the negativity runs really really high...especially about the gray sunless weather, the traffic congestion, the politics, the passive aggressive Midwestern thing (I think they invented "reverse" trolling) also, the lack of natural beauty nearby. Illinois is mostly weeds and prairie, nothing special. Chicago does an outstanding job with its downtown, northside, and scattered neighborhoods that are somewhat revived. There is world class everything..food, culture, transportation. But sooooio many people are unhappy there. Ranks 1st for depression among big cities...higher than Seattle
. Traffic, weather, employment...taxes..all rank amongst worst.
What cities do you think get a lot of hype here but fail to impress as much in reality?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:58 AM

23,753 posts, read 25,573,951 times
Seneca, SD .... Wayyyyyy Over-rated

Old 09-10-2011, 09:00 AM

337 posts, read 711,430 times
Philly and Atlanta

Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 AM

11,535 posts, read 11,631,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Seneca, SD .... Wayyyyyy Over-rated
I know its been mentioned once on this entire site, boosterism at its worst

Old 09-10-2011, 09:08 AM

13,856 posts, read 24,593,897 times
Find a city with high population-density, or in the Northeast, that scores badly on many indexes. Those have good odds of being "Praised by CDers but ranked poorly by organizations."

Old 09-10-2011, 11:04 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,907,953 times
Density = walkability in many cases and walkability is NOT an overrated attribute. Cities that come to mind for me are mostly in the Sun Belt, which have high population growth but lack in walkability and cultural offerings that more established, older cities have simply because they've been through so many more generations. That's not to say Sun Belt cities lack these things completely, as much as what they do have is so new and hasn't gone through the trials and tribulations that more established places have experienced and dealt with.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,002,185 times
11 posts huh

Old 09-10-2011, 02:12 PM

721 posts, read 1,668,493 times
I totally called that this thread would bash Chicago on some level.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:20 PM

102 posts, read 171,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I totally called that this thread would bash Chicago on some level.
Yeah..because Chicago Illinois is a prime example of an overrated city whose praises are sung by these amateur booster dorks, unemployed losers, or elitest bumsniffers..all with 900 to 3,000 meaningless CD posts and essentially no life ( former cubs manager Lee elia's rant about Chicago said it all long ago) and until you get out of your northside or suburban bubble and drive the vast swaths of depraved and downtrodden the city of Chicago breeds on its south and west sides, you should just let others expose your city for the huge and ugly bad side, which people who move there may need to know about. Chicago is like a hot supermodel who wants to sleep witch's, then you find out she has herpes and 9 kids. Ask those folks in little Iraq (southside) how the big city life is treating them a year or so after the buzz of the so called cultural advantages wear off. Any Mega city in the world is founded and designed by and for those who actually believe that they are more important in the grand scheme of earth than places like bumfudge south Dakota. Its a false sense of cool. A false sense of genuine. For the masses who need tangible bull**** and shiny big objects to keep their interest. As a famous author said of Chicago, its a place of "wide lawns and narrow minds"...ironically they are in many ways worse than the small towns they love to bash regularly. They like to pretend that they built the herbie Hancock building and that must mean that 60% of their city ain't ghettofied. Segregation.. and ostriches living in the nice areas.

Last edited by dosequis man; 09-10-2011 at 03:38 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,053,550 times
My feelings for Chicago are sentimentally in agreement with the OP, I agree with the OP the city has much to be proud of with River North, the Loop, Northside, Winnetka, and other rich enclaves but the city desperately needs to clean up the rest. Its inhumanatarian what those people in the west and south sides are living like and the city is too corrupt to offer them any form of assistance. Look at Chicago's public schools.

All these problems set aside its nearly sickening how posters from cities with just harsh alter realities like Chicago, Philly, Baltimore, etc can ignore their issues to go on bashing to a pulp cities that have better humanitarian conditions. Chicagoans in particular do at their best to distance themselves from Detroit and the image Detroit has when much of south and west sides can physically relate to Detroit.

I like Chicago but my feelings for it are much of the same I have for LA, Baltimore, Saint Louis, great cities with not so great living conditions for MILLIONS due to city wide corruption. Miami is no paradise either and has its issues but the posters from MIA are not hiding the negatives to overly boost and sell the city on only its positive qualities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City