Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 02:10 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually this went awry, the notion was that some areas (Philly example) do not always fit certain models well.

One thing that has been determined is that NYC and Philly now have the commuter rates to create one CSA, silly as that is - to me the midspace is a blend of both with more focus to either side the closer you get and these arbitrary lines work sub-optimally in complex areas that have such a relationship
Our region is full of complexities, DC to New Haven is mostly one continuous developed area but there are enough breaks like Cecil to astound each part their own identities. From my understanding however DC will always be DC, Baltimore always Baltimore, Philly always Philly, and NYC always NYC this is where our development style differs from the SF Bay region or New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 02:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Our region is full of complexities, DC to New Haven is mostly one continuous developed area but there are enough breaks like Cecil to astound each part their own identities. From my understanding however DC will always be DC, Baltimore always Baltimore, Philly always Philly, and NYC always NYC this is where our development style differs from the SF Bay region or New England.

This I agree with 100%

Old 09-16-2011, 03:24 PM

9 posts, read 10,202 times
I really think Princeton/Trenton belongs to Philly. You don't see much Yankees or Giants hats. You defiently see more Phillies caps/jerseys, and more people saying "We going to philly this weekend". If you live in the Philadelphia Jersey New York region you should know that New Yorkers don't even consider any parts of south jersey or south central jersey apart of New York CSA

Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 PM

224 posts, read 347,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightcriminal View Post
I really think Princeton/Trenton belongs to Philly. You don't see much Yankees or Giants hats. You defiently see more Phillies caps/jerseys, and more people saying "We going to philly this weekend". If you live in the Philadelphia Jersey New York region you should know that New Yorkers don't even consider any parts of south jersey or south central jersey apart of New York CSA
It's really not about what you think. Princeton/Trenton is part of New York's CSA and that's that.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:19 PM

9 posts, read 10,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
It's really not about what you think. Princeton/Trenton is part of New York's CSA and that's that.
Its not..... Mercer belongs to Philly, its just that New Yorkers try to take any type of good rep philly can have. Next thing you know New York gunna try to take Philly OVERALL.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:57 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
In SF Bay, SF's region is 1.8 million, Oakland's region is 2.4 million, and San Jose's region is 1.9 million.
What are you talking about? SF and Oakland are both in the same MSA, which has a population of 4.5 million. SJ's MSA is 1.8 million, and the entire Bay Area CSA is 7.5 million.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:57 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightcriminal View Post
Its not..... Mercer belongs to Philly, its just that New Yorkers try to take any type of good rep philly can have. Next thing you know New York gunna try to take Philly OVERALL.
The only county separating Philly from counties with a New York Area influence is Bucks County, PA. If Bucks County ever becomes part of the New York MSA then it would be only a matter of time before Philly could get absorbed as well.

But I don't think that could happen any time soon so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:07 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
What are you talking about? SF and Oakland are both in the same MSA, which has a population of 4.5 million. SJ's MSA is 1.8 million, and the entire Bay Area CSA is 7.5 million.
I'm talking about their metro divisions, Oakland is in east bay and SF is west of the bay from Oakland. My point is that SF is 800K and Oakland is 400K, their division population are similar with SF 1.8 million and Oakland 2.4 million and nearly balanced. Boston's metro has nothing like that, Boston is by far the largest city in its metro and has no peer cities. The metro of 4.5 million with Cambridge the second largest at 100K. Cambridge's counterpart for SF/Oakland is Berkeley which is just a satellite city of Oakland the way Cambridge is of Boston.

To help clarify, everything in Boston's metro is either its suburb or its satellite city, bedroom communities for both its MSA and CSA. Oakland in contrast is not a suburb of SF, nor a satellite city, nor a bedroom community of SF. Its a peer city like Saint Paul to Minneapolis, or Fort Worth to Dallas, etc.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The only county separating Philly from counties with a New York Area influence is Bucks County, PA. If Bucks County ever becomes part of the New York MSA then it would be only a matter of time before Philly could get absorbed as well.

But I don't think that could happen any time soon so I wouldn't worry about it.
Philly is getting surrounded just like Mercer county

Map Legend:
Red - city limits
Orange - New York MSA
Yellow - New York CSA
Dark Green - Philadelphia MSA
Light Green - Philadelphia CSA

**hopefully I didn't miss any counties**

Old 09-16-2011, 06:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Well I don't know why Philadelphians make such a big deal over land area, the region that gets snubbed the most is Tampa. The MSA only covers 2,300 square miles which is less than half of Philly's land area. The true size of the metro is 4.2 million for the Tampa Bay Area with the inclusions of Sarasota which is only 30 miles from St. Petersburg or Tampa, Lakeland, and Citrus County all of which add up to 5,300 square miles of land about the same as Miami, Philly, and DC. I may also add that its continuously developed between Tampa and those areas as well. Tampa just doesn't get the respect it deserves as the souths largest metro outside of the Houston, Dallas, DC, Miami, Atlanta groupies.

Alas no one from Tampa is throwing a fit for an economy that they should rightfully have of $154 billion USD. Figures
You just now pointed out to me how Tampa's gets screwed. That is true, it really is continuous development from Sarasota to Tampa. Floridians seem the calmest of all people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City