Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:38 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times

Advertisements

Thought this might be relevant to the DC/Baltimore MSA vs. CSA looking forward. Apparently, Maryland is about to legally regulate growth to connect DC and Baltimore going forward through "Plan Maryland". This is huge news for Marc Commuter Train lines between Baltimore and DC which will see a huge boost in ridership with growth being funneled here. The state says they will save billions in infrastructure investment by funneling development into the built corridors. I agree with them!

The Case for a D.C.-Baltimore Mega-Region
The Case for a D.C.-Baltimore Mega-Region - Politics - The Atlantic Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:50 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,519,268 times
^That is the prudent thing to do. I applaud that.

Once again, I just have to say how totally impressed I am with the DC area's TODs--they are like little downtowns and that is precisely what other places should aim for.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
^That is the prudent thing to do. I applaud that.

Once again, I just have to say how totally impressed I am with the DC area's TODs--they are like little downtowns and that is precisely what other places should aim for.
I especially liked this line by Governor O'Malley in the report:

"This is not a wall that prohibits counties from making stupid land-use decisions. They’re still free to do that, but we’re not going to subsidize it any more."

Priceless! You can try to build what you want, but it won't have any state roads LOL!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Thought this might be relevant to the DC/Baltimore MSA vs. CSA looking forward. Apparently, Maryland is about to legally regulate growth to connect DC and Baltimore going forward through "Plan Maryland". This is huge news for Marc Commuter Train lines between Baltimore and DC which will see a huge boost in ridership with growth being funneled here. The state says they will save billions in infrastructure investment by funneling development into the built corridors. I agree with them!

The Case for a D.C.-Baltimore Mega-Region
The Case for a D.C.-Baltimore Mega-Region - Politics - The Atlantic Cities
Quote:
5. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $430.245 Billion
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH Metro Area $313,690
Concord, NH Micro Area
Manchester-Nashua, NH Metro Area $20,988
Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA Metro Area $66,334
Worcester, MA Metro Area $29,233

6. Washington-Northern Virginia-Winchester, DC-MD-VA-WV METRO $430.23 Billion
Culpeper, VA Micro Area
Lexington Park, MD Micro Area
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area $425,167
Winchester, VA-WV Metro Area $5,069
I like that these things are happening for us and for people in Baltimore but what I don't appreciate are the issues people have of DC and where it stands namely its culture, status, and power. See my entire point has been that we have our own identity separate from Baltimore, our own metro, our own economy, and our own merits. We're also not the type of unappreciative city to try to grab everything from the surrounding to jump our numbers, as we stand just DC MSA we are enough to give anyone a run besides NYC, LA, Chicago.

Look at us, we're 5.86 million people and have the exact same GDP as Boston CSA with 7.56 million people. Boston is a rich and affluent city and we can compare to them with about 1.7 million less people and people still treat DC like its existence comes because Baltimore is helping us out. They feel like two separate intangible metros close together instead of one.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I like that these things are happening for us and for people in Baltimore but what I don't appreciate are the issues people have of DC and where it stands namely its culture, status, and power. See my entire point has been that we have our own identity separate from Baltimore, our own metro, our own economy, and our own merits. We're also not the type of unappreciative city to try to grab everything from the surrounding to jump our numbers, as we stand just DC MSA we are enough to give anyone a run besides NYC, LA, Chicago.

Look at us, we're 5.86 million people and have the exact same GDP as Boston CSA with 7.56 million people. Boston is a rich and affluent city and we can compare to them with about 1.7 million less people and people still treat DC like its existence comes because Baltimore is helping us out. They feel like two separate intangible metros close together instead of one.
Why do you care so much about what people think? You live in DC so you know what is going on here. Take a look around DC. It looks like the 1950 post WWII building boom in 2011. There might be over 30 High rise buildings under construction in DC proper alone. Add in the suburbs and wow you get the picture. People are going to have an opinion and they are entitled to it. I think what you need to remember is no matter what people say on city-data.com, it doesn't change what is going on outside your front door in DC.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Why do you care so much about what people think? You live in DC so you know what is going on here. Take a look around DC. It looks like the 1950 post WWII building boom in 2011. People are going to have an opinion and they are entitled to it. I think what you need to remember is no matter what people say on city-data.com, it doesn't change what is going on outside your front door in DC.
I don't get where you get the idea that you think I care what people have to say. My points lead up to how people overrate the DC/Baltimore CSA but underrate just the DC metro.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I don't get where you get the idea that you think I care what people have to say.

My points lead up to how people overrate the DC/Baltimore CSA but underrate just DC.
I was just saying that a few internet posters putting their opinion on city-data.com doesn't matter in real life. DC is exactly what you think it is and a few people on this website disagreeing with the world shouldn't even have you take a second look. The world couldn't care less what people on here say. People on city-data.com aren't power brokers so you don't need to prove anything to them. Why care if they don't think DC is this or that?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
I was just saying that a few internet posters putting their opinion on city-data.com doesn't matter in real life. DC is exactly what you think it is and a few people on this website disagreeing with the world shouldn't even have you take a second look. The world couldn't care less what people on here say. People on city-data.com aren't power brokers so you don't need to prove anything to them. Why care if they don't think DC is this or that?
I don't care what opinions people hold of DC, most of those people live in cities with more social issues than DC.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 AM
vop

62 posts, read 104,228 times
I believe that the San Francisco-San Jose, DC-Baltimore, and the LA-Riverside CSA's should actually be MSA's, just look at this pic of the LA CSA

Does anyone see any breaks in development? The commuting is there so why do they still split it? Same for the other 2 CSA's I mentioned.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:39 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vop View Post
Does anyone see any breaks in development? The commuting is there so why do they still split it?
Because the absence of breaks in development != MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City