Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:01 AM

932 posts, read 1,944,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libnani View Post
Santa Monica is a much bigger city than Hoboken. You cannot compare both!
I don't really see that.
Hoboken - pop. 50,000 area 2 sq mi
Santa Monica - pop. 90,000 area 9sq mi

Doesn't seem unfair to me. I can't feel the difference between a 50k town and a 90k town. Both are vibrant inner suburbs of large cities. It's not like we're comparing Mobile, Alabama to Chicago or Athens, Georgia to Los Angeles.

For me, I grew up in South Jersey, but I won't step foot in Jersey of Cali unless it's for a funeral, so I'm not voting on this debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Santa Monica wins my preference. The city offers urbanity, affluence, nightlife, family fun, outdoor recreation, safety, great weather, and fun! One of my favorite cities.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:03 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
I'd rather live in Hoboken simply because it's so close to NYC.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 PM

252 posts, read 735,793 times
Frank Sinatra was born in Hoboken....

Santa Monica all the way!

Old 10-15-2012, 06:46 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
walkability Santa Monica
transit Santa Monica
convenience Santa Monica
job market Santa Monica
nightlife Santa Monica
schools Santa Monica
recreation Santa Monica
shopping Santa Monica
dining Santa Monica
architecture Santa Monica

Not even close

Old 01-31-2014, 02:40 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Default Is this a joke?

I've lived in Hoboken and currently work in Santa Monica. I'd say I got this one in the bag. It's easily Santa Monica. I really don't like the politics or the people in Hoboken, despite my immiedate family have some big time roots there:

walkability: Hoboken, obviously. Parts of Santa Monica are very walkable though.

transit: Hoboken because of the Ferry and PATH.

convenience: Santa Monica is much easier to deal with because it's sunny and warm year round. Ever try to walk to a bar in Hoboken on a windy winters day?

job market: Really? Santa Monica Hands-down. We've got 'Silicon Beach' HQ'd here -- the third wave of the computer boom. Hoboken has a few offices of NYC-based banks and service industry jobs (restaurants & bars.) Hoboken is a bedroom community, NOT AN ECONOMY THAT PROVIDES JOBS LIKE SANTA MONICA

nightlife: Santa Monica. Hoboken nightlife has become a joke (not that Santa Monica is ideal for LA, but it's still good.)

schools: Santa Monica. Hoboken has one of the most corrupt school districts in NJ.

recreation: Santa Monica for year round biking, beaching, surfing, running, volleyball etc. Hoboken is freezing half the year so outdoor activities are mainly limited to the summer. Not to mention it rains a lot there too.

shopping: Santa Monica with the new Santa Monica place and Third Street Prommenade. Hoboken for shopping is largely composed of small overpriced boutiques marketed towards 'daddy's girls.'

dining: Santa Monica. Excellent Options. The food in Hoboken is mostly overpriced, imitation NYC dog food.

architecture: Santa Monica. More variety.

SANMO: 8. HOB: 2.

Add-on's:
BIKING: Santa Monica
FRIENDLINESS: Santa Monica
BUMS/HOMELESS: Hoboken
INFRASTRUCTURE: Santa Monica.
FREEWAY ACCESS: Santa Monica.
SNOB APPEAL: Both.
WOMEN: Santa Monica.
BAR SCENE: Santa Monica.
NATURAL BEAUTY: Santa Monica.
PARKING: Santa Monica.
GARBAGE POLICY: Santa Monica.

Last edited by Freshflakes757; 01-31-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 03:35 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Well Santa Monica is one of the most desirable cities to live in in the nation, so I'd lean towards that. I promised myself that I would endure SM's super high rental prices and live there for at least a year. Now I'm far north in Seattle so that dream seems quite distant...

Old 01-31-2014, 03:41 PM

215 posts, read 379,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Well Santa Monica is one of the most desirable cities to live in in the nation, so I'd lean towards that. I promised myself that I would endure SM's super high rental prices and live there for at least a year. Now I'm far north in Seattle so that dream seems quite distant...
Obviously Hoboken is too! Hoboken has 53,000 ppl in 1.3 sq miles With expensive real estate. They are both desirable, comes down to a unique beach town vs an urban environment IMHO.... It's preference of lifestyle.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
walkability Santa Monica
transit Santa Monica
convenience Santa Monica
job market Santa Monica
nightlife Santa Monica
schools Santa Monica
recreation Santa Monica
shopping Santa Monica
dining Santa Monica
architecture Santa Monica

Not even close

Transit, convenience, architecture & walkability hands down? It's obvious you don't know anything about Hoboken. You are entitled to your preference, but at lest have some knowledge of the areas you are speaking about. To say Santa Monica is more walkable than Hoboken is insane.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:37 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Transit, convenience, architecture & walkability hands down? It's obvious you don't know anything about Hoboken. You are entitled to your preference, but at lest have some knowledge of the areas you are speaking about. To say Santa Monica is more walkable than Hoboken is insane.
Dude, hate to break it to you but Hoboken ain't that great -- other than to get drunk and be able to walk to different bars. Arguably you can do that even in Santa Monica, but it's better with a bike.

In Hoboken, the weather SUCKS most of the year. Lot's of wind, cold rain, and snow. Other than the trains, the infrastructure is terrible. Potholes everywhere, zero parking, no bike lanes, apartments small and old (literally the plumbing in most buildings is an embarassment.) Lot's of small town debotchery from the post college crowd. I can count on my fingers the amount of excellent meals I've had there. Most food is bar quality or low grade.

It is NOTHING compared to Santa Monica. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City