Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,074 times

Advertisements

Where would you rather live? Visit?

walkability
transit
convenience
job market
nightlife
schools
recreation
shopping
dining
architecture
etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:25 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,287,116 times
I would rather live in Hoboken without a second thought, but both are worth visiting.

Hoboken Terminal Aerial

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...J_Downtown.jpg

Hoboken Aerial

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...yLuigiNovi.jpg

Hoboken 11th Street

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...5/Hoboken3.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 02-02-2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 06:34 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Most definitely Santa Monica.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...asinMar05L.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 02-02-2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,753,724 times
I already know what this is.

Santa Monica has mild weather, a beach, an a boardwalk (or pier). Let's just say that's tough to beat (generally speaking) The nightlife is really good, but not necessarily better than Hoboken's (just different). The public transportation is mediocre, but I know a lot of people ride bikes/skate throughout the city. It's basically an outdoorsy city, but can both be suburban and urban. Topanga State park is right up the road if you want to take a nature trip. SM also has an airport. Crime isn't really an issue.

Hoboken has direct access across to Manhattan, however you want to take it, that's the reality of it. The nightlife is really good, bars and night clubs are everywhere. Public transportation is almost unbeatable, and the city in general is very walkable (Not so car friendly though, parking SUCKS). It's far more densely populated than SM and not really suburban at all (physically). NYC & JC are in your immediate vicinity. Traditional bakeries, pizzerias, delis, pubs, ice cream parlors.. Hoboken (generally speaking) has better dining options.

walkability- Hoboken
transit- Hoboken
convenience- Hoboken
job market- Hoboken
nightlife- Tie
schools- Santa Monica
recreation- Santa Monica
shopping- Santa Monica
dining- Hoboken
architecture- Tie

Hoboken- 7

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5127/...d9b571d7_z.jpg
By Olevar (http://www.flickr.com/photos/olevar23/ - broken link)

Santa Monica- 5
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/...cb4e5268_z.jpg
By denisetaylor☼ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/denisetaylor/ - broken link)

They're both equally worth visiting. I prefer to live in Hoboken, but I really wouldn't mind living in SM.

Last edited by JMT; 02-02-2014 at 08:31 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
To the question, to me two of the more interesting places in large cities with their own identity. I lived in Hoboken and loved it and also used to visit Santa Monica quite a bit (would stay at the Lowes). Personally could be happy in either. Both are interesting with a decent amount of vibrancy

So on the criteria

walkability - Boken overall but Santa Monica is quite walkable, the promenade and pier and beach are all pretty good as well - overall day to day to think without needing a car it still goes to Boken
transit - No contest Boken
convenience - Both pretty good, to me edge Boken, easier and more transit options, closer to more, slightly closer to airport
job market - Think NYC Metro is a little better these days
nightlife - both really good - say draw depending on personal wants
schools -actually not sure, both have many options if willing to pay
recreation - hmmm for outdoors SM, heading north there is so much and the beach, nuff said
shopping - Probably SM for the town, both will have more than enough nearby
dining - see above, same response as shopping
architecture - wow, tough one. Love both for different aspects

End of the day, two awesome places to live. I prefer the east coast and love NY though for LA SM would def be on my short list of places to live if I ever moved there.

Personally to me edge Boken, but really I couldnt complain a whole lot about either place.

BTW some cool pics above from Dub and Montclaire (Edit also BPerone great pic of Boken) - thanks! Love the boken Manhattan view and Pacific back on SM and LA. I mean really if you are choosing between these two to me you cant really lose

Last edited by kidphilly; 09-13-2011 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,909,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanAlmighty View Post

walkability - Hoboken
transit - Hoboken
convenience - Santa Monica
job market - Hoboken
nightlife - Santa Monica
schools - Santa Monica
recreation - Santa Monica
shopping - Santa Monica
dining - Santa Monica
architecture - Hoboken
etc.
I guess that Santa Monica wins in most categories, but I think that I would rather live in Hoboken.

And as far as transit, they just broke ground on Expo Phase 2 today, which will connect Santa Monica to downtown LA and the rest of the rail system. Santa Monica also has The Big Blue Bus (Speed movie) and LACMTA, so it's not really a slouch in that department and will be significantly better in 2015 when the rail line opens.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:59 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,177,168 times
I'll take Santa Monica. The fact that it's on the Pacific with beautiful sunsets is enough for me. Pelicans diving for fish at sunset is a site to see. The city itself has great shopping and dining and just ok nightlife. Public transportation is excellent imo. I worked at Santa Monica Place and actually left my car at home and road the bus to work. SM is served by tons of bus routes and bus service between there and dt Los Angeles is 24 hours. If you're visiting you can rent a bike near the SM Pier and ride endlessly on the bike paths along the Pacific. Too touristy? Head to the north end of town to Montana Ave where many of the locals hang out for trendy shopping(many locally owned), dining and coffee shops. Plus the weather is nice most of the time. Sometimes it can get cool.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:01 AM

9,331 posts, read 20,668,041 times
If weather is a factor, as it most certainly is to me, then the answer to this question becomes obvious.

If both were 72 and sunny most of the year, I would still opt for Santa Monica, though it would be close.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:35 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,494,950 times
I'd be fine with living in either of them, but I prefer Hoboken.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:39 PM

5,425 posts, read 5,648,767 times
Santa Monica is over 6 times larger than Hoboken... not really a fair comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City