Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA rivals closely...
LA is on the level of NYC 32 26.02%
LA is in between SF and NYC level 60 48.78%
LA more closely rivals SF 31 25.20%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 01:58 PM

36,647 posts, read 67,369,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Ehh..LA is also a MUCH larger entity (population and physical size) than Manhattan or San Francisco, to play devil's advocate. I took the liberty of trying to find an LA region the size of SF/Manhattan with the same sort of socio-economic status and I think the Westside comes reasonably close (albeit physically larger).

Westside - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Westside LA
Population: 529,427 (2000)
Size: 101.28 square miles
Education: 53.2% have a Bachelor's Degree or Higher
Income: ~$100,000 (don't have time to sift through the data for each individual neighborhood right now, but based on the data, it supports this)

I'll get house values later, when I have more time.
Well, I considered the Westside but after you look at the socio-economic demographic similarities between San Francisco and Manhattan, you can then point to lifestyle similarities and the physical similarities such as population density, percentage of households that live in multi-unit housing units, percentage of high income folks who walk to work, dont own vehicles, take transit on a regular basis etc.

But as far as wealth, LAs Westside is comparable--yes.

In many ways, the honest answer to this thread question would be that San Francisco almost like a hybrid of both NY and LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 02:15 PM

10,263 posts, read 12,488,990 times

Old 09-17-2011, 08:24 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,954,622 times
In terms of population and notoriety, it's a closer rival to NY. In everything else, it's closer rival to SF.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:50 PM

224 posts, read 346,777 times
..LOL @ the New Yorker map.

Everytime I come back to NYC from summer holiday, I find myself less and less interested in what's going on across the country or the world. I stop watching news and it just seems like nothing exists outside of NYC.

So strange.

Something about NYC..

Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 PM

27,449 posts, read 28,524,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
..LOL @ the New Yorker map.

Everytime I come back to NYC from summer holiday, I find myself less and less interested in what's going on across the country or the world. I stop watching news and it just seems like nothing exists outside of NYC.

So strange.

Something about NYC..
Your mind is kept busy with all the activity that immediately surrounds you.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:26 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,507,057 times
thank you!!

clearly some people don't get it

yeah, i'm talkin about the map.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,391,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
thank you!!

Newsflash: People in LA don't care about New York all that much. But we sure got a lot of NY transplants living out here.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM

224 posts, read 346,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Newsflash: People in LA don't care about New York all that much.
Looking at its statistics, people in Los Angeles don't appear to think or care about much at all. It appears to be rather poor and underachieving. If Los Angelenos start thinking and caring about things perhaps it will finally attract big business and improve its laughably underachieving output.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,391,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
Looking at its statistics, people in Los Angeles don't appear to think or care about much at all. It appears to be rather poor and underachieving. If Los Angelenos start thinking and caring about things perhaps it will finally attract big business and improve its laughably underachieving output.

Sorry, DC hasn't bailed out our financial and banking institutions like they did NYC. Your city failed the rest of the nation.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 09-19-2011 at 09:36 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,222,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
thank you!!

290 million Americans live somewhere other than the New York metro. You don't pay much attention to the rest of the country on a daily basis, but remember that the rest of us aren't paying much attention to you either. People tend to be concerned with their immediate lives, it's not something unique to NYC, as much as you'd like to think it is (no you're not special because of it, and no it doesn't mean that NYC is the ultra unique snow flake alpha+++ super city of all existence. It means that you're normal people like the rest of us).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City