Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,948,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
What influenced my placing of Atlanta was simply due to the fact that it's pretty much the powerhouse of the southeast and regionally it does more for this country than Miami. Its international importance isn't that significant, but it's there and not as limited as Miami's.
Are you saying Atlanta is more internationally significant than Miami? Not only does Miami have more international buisness and finance. It is one of the leading International financial centers in this country, only NYC has more international banks. But it also has two large international ports, a large international airport in terms of International Passengers, 2nd only to JFK. It has another large international airport in international passenger #14 in the US. And Miami International is also the largest international gateway for international air cargo in the US. Not really sure where that is coming from. Atlanta is more significant in terms of domestically but not internationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
In response to Gateway Region:

This is how I would rank the U.S. cities.

Alpha++ : New York

Alpha+: Chicago

Alpha: San Francisco, Philadelphia

Alpha-: Los Angeles, Boston, Washington

Beta+: Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami

Beta: Minneapolis, Seattle, Detroit
What do you mean by gateway region?
Quote:
If I made this list; this is how it would go:

Alpha+: Chicago, Los Angeles

Alpha: San Francisco, Washington

Alpha-: Dallas,Atlanta, Boston, Houston, Philadelphia

Beta+: Miami

I just can't take Miami serious on a business or economical level. Yes it has strong ties with Latin America, but that just helps my point even more. The cities listed above it are more World players [such as their importance isn't as one sided and more balanced].
So we have one of the most internationally connected cities not just in the US but in the world yet you cant take that seriously? Especially when you put Dallas, Atlanta and Philadelphia ahead of Miami, I can easily live with Boston and Houston has that oil thing going for it, but that is also up to debate. If Dallas, Atlanta and Philly are Alpha- Miami easily is.
Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy
Philly and Dallas dont even make the list I think this is a decent source compared to GWAC
FP rankings:
1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. LA
4. San Francisco
5. Washington
6. Boston
7. Miami
8. Houston
9. Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,593,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This list just came out recently. A lot of surprises here for U.S. cities. Check out all the ones that are now in alpha categories:

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010

Alpha+: Chicago

Alpha: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington

Alpha-: Miami, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta, Philadelphia
Very accurate list. I'd knock San Francisco and possibly Miami, Dallas or Atlanta down a rung, but altogether fairly accurate.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Are you saying Atlanta is more internationally significant than Miami? Not only does Miami have more international buisness and finance. It is one of the leading International financial centers in this country, only NYC has more international banks. But it also has two large international ports, a large international airport in terms of International Passengers, 2nd only to JFK. It has another large international airport in international passenger #14 in the US. And Miami International is also the largest international gateway for international air cargo in the US. Not really sure where that is coming from. Atlanta is more significant in terms of domestically but not internationally.

What do you mean by gateway region?

So we have one of the most internationally connected cities not just in the US but in the world yet you cant take that seriously? Especially when you put Dallas, Atlanta and Philadelphia ahead of Miami, I can easily live with Boston and Houston has that oil thing going for it, but that is also up to debate. If Dallas, Atlanta and Philly are Alpha- Miami easily is.
Philly and Dallas dont even make the list I think this is a decent source compared to GWAC
FP rankings:
1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. LA
4. San Francisco
5. Washington
6. Boston
7. Miami
8. Houston
9. Atlanta
Vvvv: What he said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcony121 View Post
Actually Foreign Policy is as mediocre as GaWC is. Look at the omission of Dallas and Philadelphia from Foreign Policy in contrast to the shame bearing that Los Angeles and Houston receive by every GaWC list that comes out. Ordinarily when there are two powerful cities in the same region these lists favor one over the other.

Miami ranks well on these lists for 3 big reasons and those are:

- It receives a lot of foreign investments for real estate
- It is THE banking center for the Caribbean and some parts of Latin America
- It is a large tourism based economy with firms from across the world setting up there because of that.

On overall importance though it so trails the likes of New York, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas, and Atlanta. It's barely above Seattle and its meager output says that best. The world doesn't care where people want to live or vacation in, so tourism and real estate are very minor relevance in the bigger picture the world only cares about what you bring to the table and Miami's output is out shined by those aforementioned cities, not to mention its also smaller than all of them in population (by metro) with the exception of Seattle.

There is little Miami actually brings to the table to compare to the other cities, its not the center of the tech industry, nor the finance industry, not the logistics industry, not the energy industry, not the entertainment industry. It may do well in a few of those things but its not THE big guy on campus for any of those things. It's silver lining comes from being the financial center for Latin America but it doesn't make up for the fact that the city is nearly performs poorly on per capita income, GDP, smaller sized metro, employment, corporate base with profitable corporations, lacks innovation, isn't a busy seaport compared to a bulk of other cities, and the list just goes on and on. In fact I think in the next 5 years even Seattle can make a better case than Miami if Miami doesn't get its act straight.

Miami is an awesome city but it is less important than the others, anyone who see's my earlier point will agree with me on that.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Actually Foreign Policy is as mediocre as GaWC is. Look at the omission of Dallas and Philadelphia from Foreign Policy in contrast to the shame bearing that Los Angeles and Houston receive by every GaWC list that comes out. Ordinarily when there are two powerful cities in the same region these lists favor one over the other.

- It is a large tourism based economy with firms from across the world setting up there because of that.

On overall importance though it so trails the likes of New York, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas, and Atlanta. It's barely above Seattle and its meager output says that best. The world doesn't care where people want to live or vacation in, so tourism and real estate are very minor relevance in the bigger picture the world only cares about what you bring to the table and Miami's output is out shined by those aforementioned cities, not to mention its also smaller than all of them in population (by metro) with the exception of Seattle.

There is little Miami actually brings to the table to compare to the other cities, its not the center of the tech industry, nor the finance industry, not the logistics industry, not the energy industry, not the entertainment industry. It may do well in a few of those things but its not THE big guy on campus for any of those things. It's silver lining comes from being the financial center for Latin America but it doesn't make up for the fact that the city is nearly performs poorly on per capita income, GDP, smaller sized metro, employment, corporate base with profitable corporations, lacks innovation, isn't a busy seaport compared to a bulk of other cities, and the list just goes on and on. In fact I think in the next 5 years even Seattle can make a better case than Miami if Miami doesn't get its act straight.

Miami is an awesome city but it is less important than the others, anyone who see's my earlier point will agree with me on that.
Ok, so,
Logistics: Port of Miami It is the 11th largest cargo container port in the United States. In 2010, a record 4.33 million passengers traveled through the Port of Miami. One in seven of all the world’s cruise passengers start from Miami. The Cargo number is expected to rise significantly with the deeper channels coming in, new railroad and port tunnel lets also not forget that Port Everglades calls Miami Metro home also. Cargo is a bit lacking but still big industry especially to Latin America. They are also the two largest Crusie Ship Ports in the world. That is a lot of $. Miami International is the 3rd most important (2nd buisest) international gateway in the country. And biggest international gateway for frieght from around the world, not just Latin America. It is also one of the most important aviation centers in the world.

As for Entertainment Miami is the LA of Spanish entertainment. And after LA and NYC where has a larger entertainment industry in the US. You mention the big guy thing. May I ask what the big guy is for Dallas and Philly? , Houston has the port and oil. But Dallas and Philly? Oh and Atlanta has its airport but thats about it.

Miami also home to US Southern Command, National Hurricane Center. And the cultural impact it has around the Western Hemisphere.
But you do make a good argument. I just see Miami on the same level. Not saying it is above.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 PM

635 posts, read 1,502,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Ok, so,
Logistics: Port of Miami It is the 11th largest cargo container port in the United States. In 2010, a record 4.33 million passengers traveled through the Port of Miami. One in seven of all the world’s cruise passengers start from Miami. The Cargo number is expected to rise significantly with the deeper channels coming in, new railroad and port tunnel lets also not forget that Port Everglades calls Miami Metro home also. Cargo is a bit lacking but still big industry especially to Latin America. They are also the two largest Crusie Ship Ports in the world. That is a lot of $. Miami International is the 3rd most important (2nd buisest) international gateway in the country. And biggest international gateway for frieght from around the world, not just Latin America. It is also one of the most important aviation centers in the world.

As for Entertainment Miami is the LA of Spanish entertainment. And after LA and NYC where has a larger entertainment industry in the US. You mention the big guy thing. May I ask what the big guy is for Dallas and Philly? , Houston has the port and oil. But Dallas and Philly? Oh and Atlanta has its airport but thats about it.

Miami also home to US Southern Command, National Hurricane Center. And the cultural impact it has around the Western Hemisphere.
But you do make a good argument. I just see Miami on the same level. Not saying it is above.
Atlanta has its airport and thats about it? I know thats a joke. I guess your one of those that status in the airport and never leaves, yet claims they've been to Atlanta.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:

Not by much.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Atlanta has its airport and thats about it? I know thats a joke. I guess your one of those that status in the airport and never leaves, yet claims they've been to Atlanta.
If you read what I am responding too! Maybe you would see what I am talking about. Instead of just reading the statment about Atlanta, I am talking about the statement saying the cities are "big guy" in somethings Miami is not. Well Atlanta is only "big guy" in its airport and I cant figure out what Philly and Dallas are in, or San Fran for that matter either. I just dont think the "big guy" thing is imporant.

I have been through ATL a few times and gone to Atlanta once. I think Atlanta is on the same level as Miami and belongs in that Alpha Ranking.
People from Atlanta so sensitive about airport remarks I have been finding.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
If I made this list; this is how it would go:

Alpha+: Chicago, Los Angeles

Alpha: San Francisco, Washington

Alpha-: Dallas,Atlanta, Boston, Houston, Philadelphia

Beta+: Miami

I just can't take Miami serious on a business or economical level. Yes it has strong ties with Latin America, but that just helps my point even more. The cities listed above it are more World players [such as their importance isn't as one sided and more balanced].

The issue with Dallas/Atlanta vs Houston is simply more about popularity. Houston's importance is obviously more superior [don't even try to dispute it; you're lying to yourself if you think otherwise]; however, Dallas and Atlanta have more appeal and presence on a international level. It evens itself out when you put everything into perspective. Houston is in a position to where it could move ahead and leave the other major southern cities in it dust; it's just that the city leaders haven't realized its potential.
Miami's GDP isn't too far beneath Atlanta's. I get it, Miami's only recognized for it's tourism. But tourism takes it farther than people are willing to admit, it's an Alpha city.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:22 PM

4,819 posts, read 6,043,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I never said "Miami dominates Atlanta". Show me where I implied it or flat out said it, I haven't. I believe Miami is one tier or slightly more important than Atlanta.

Now, if you want to call me out I have no problem with doing the same. Your posts come across as chest pounding/boosting Atlanta and acting as if it dominates everything in the Southeast. Actually, your posts come across as if Atlanta dominates the whole south in general, it's called homerism.

Really? I can.

Miami #33
Atlanta #40
Dallas is not in the top 65

You do know there's a thread with a lot rankings Atlanta came out overall ahead of Miami. And it's funny posters use one ranking to disprove another.
  • First off the Port of Savannah is busier than the port of Miami, which is largely drawn by Atlanta to be distributed, so Atlanta is the cause of a small metro to have busier than the ports of Miami, even a large number of Miami cargo goes through Atlanta. Anyway there is no doubt Atlanta overall is higher in logistics rank than Miami. Atlanta is always rank some where between 3rd and 5th in logistics overall in the US. And with out doubt Atlanta hub the southeast, and it's more than Airport, it's road and rail also.
  • Also a Miami poster brought up media If you like to have a media debate that will be fun, Miami doesn't have anything to compare to the Turner Broadcasting System which has networks under it all over the world nor the Cox Enterprises, hell most of Florida get it cable from Cox Communications which is in Atlanta but if yall insist.
  • Atlanta is a top city in education and research where do Miami rank. Atlanta was top 5 in research spending I don't know where it rank now but you get my point. Atlanta is 7th in enrollment, Miami is ranked 22nd.
  • Atlanta home to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. So I guess Miami monitor the weather, Atlanta monitor the US Public health. CDC also help funds schools and Hospitals. Overall no city in the southeast top Atlanta in health.
  • Miami maybe have banks assets in the Caribbean, but Atlanta is home to the Federal Reserve that cover most of the southeast, that includes Miami, Atlanta federal Reserve has over $162B in assets. Also SunTrust Banks is still one of largest Banks in the US. Atlanta is 2nd in the southeast in Banking after Charlotte.
  • I Also highly doubt Miami ranks higher than Atlanta in Biotech, better yet tech in general, telecommunications and etc. Please tell me how the heck would Miami be rank higher.

----------------

Also Fail I never said Atlanta dominates the south, I said Atlanta dominates the Southeast in fact you brought Dallas and Houston up I told you to drop them because they aren't the southeast. You said Atlanta is below Miami, then I said base on what? then you said overall importance. LOL. Then you actually tried to compare Charlotte to Atlanta Anyway.

You are actually trying to compare Atlanta which is located in the middle of the southeast to Miami located way in the corner of a large peninsula, that happen to be in the southeast. Instead providing why Miami is ahead of Atlanta you comeback and tell me about Dallas, Houston, and Charlotte. Two of which are not the southeast, the other too small. Other than Atlanta being 2nd in finance and Education in the south east, Oh maybe 3rd tourism. Atlanta nearly dominates in everything else. That is not boosting anything this is old news, and know one is wow or surprise by it. I'm reinstating old news because you said Miami is ahead of Atlanta, "Miami is overall more important"

Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
^^^ Again than why is the output and income comparable if Atlanta blows it away. i would also put RDU ahead of Atlanta in the South for healthcare, CDC or not - remember is but one small part of healthcare in the US, albeit important in terms of healthcare overall it is by no means a dominant force, this from someone who has a lot of respect for the CDC and do work with them frequently. on the commercial side UCC is likely the larger player in the Atlanta area, nice company but not exuding anywhere exuding a large precense

And this is not to diminish Atlanta but I dont see how Miami and Atlanta are than much different. Savannah and the port is how far away? Can Philly take credit for the port of NYC/NJ - am sure it is far closer and probably moves more goods from there than the Savannah/Atl dynamic as it is far larger than either Miami or Savannah for that matter (Actually so is Philly's port) Come Chiatdal; you are stretching on some these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City