U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 01:23 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
6,430 posts, read 5,036,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I haven’t seen the renderings for North Station in Boston. Could you please post a link to them? If it will surpass the Union Station redevelopment in DC, it must be incredible.
South Station looks better than North Station IMO. I think DC Union Station has a way more magnificent look than both in the main hall, as well as the architecture on the exterior. Both the stations in Boston are iconic in their own right, and they have two. It's a toss up between 30th street and those to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 01:29 PM

887 posts, read 618,071 times
Quote:
I haven’t seen the renderings for North Station in Boston. Could you please post a link to them? If it will surpass the Union Station redevelopment in DC, it must be incredible.
*took these Thursday Night of the current buildout above North Station

Rutherford Ave near Bunker Hill College

from Charlestown

From Charlestown Bridge

Last edited by odurandina; 04-13-2021 at 01:48 PM..

Old 04-13-2021, 01:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
6,430 posts, read 5,036,007 times
^^ I stayed at a hotel across the street from the Garden a few years back. Do you have any photos of inside the station?

Old 04-13-2021, 01:52 PM

Yeah, there are many on the aB TD Garden thread.
But for the good stuff, Lobby, Lounges, Bobby Orr Statue, etc,
you'll need to dig through dozens of pages (sorry)

https://archboston.com/community/thr....4439/page-259

Old 04-13-2021, 01:53 PM

7,898 posts, read 3,220,589 times
Quote:
It is. Its simply amazing. Food Hall, towers, beautiful modern entrance. One of my favorite.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:06 PM

20,478 posts, read 11,980,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Cool factor + amenities:
Penn Station + sports complex + New York
Grand Central Station + Midtown Manhattan/Bryant Park
Union Station DC
North Station Boston + sports complex + amenities/North End
Market East Station Philly

No mention of 30th Street Station with Jersey Mike's, really lame Chinese buffet, and a Wendy's? Oh, and one of the fresh baked bread chains like Au Bon Pain. I had bad subs and bad takeout Chinese on the train leaving Philly many times. At least in Suburban Station, the bottom of the Comcast Center has an OK food court.

What's cool about Market East? A glass elevator?

The South Station amenity is proximity to Chinatown. Sadly, I've heard that Hei La Moon east of the pagota is getting knocked down to build an office tower. That was my favorite Dim Sum place. There are stories that they're invited to come back to the ground floor of the new office tower but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:20 PM

^^more M.E. Station's convenience to Shopping of the Mall, Reading Market, proximity to Chestnut/Walnut Sts, walkable to Independence Hall, Washington Sq Park, Independence Square, etc.....
30th St: don't forget all them drunken twenty-somthings/ +walk of shame early Sunday morning hours.

More from North station... The Alcott and TD garden towers last week

Photo by Patrick Winn:

by "kz1000ps"

David Z: from behind the brutalist ruins....

Last edited by odurandina; 04-13-2021 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-13-2021, 02:47 PM

6,492 posts, read 3,913,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
No mention of 30th Street Station with Jersey Mike's, really lame Chinese buffet, and a Wendy's? Oh, and one of the fresh baked bread chains like Au Bon Pain. I had bad subs and bad takeout Chinese on the train leaving Philly many times. At least in Suburban Station, the bottom of the Comcast Center has an OK food court.

What do you think should be in a food court other than places to buy coffee, fast food, and fast causal things? I feel like it's the same things for the most part in all of them.

Quote:
What's cool about Market East? A glass elevator?
Reading Terminal Market is right there. Arguably the best food hall in America. Along with Chinatown and a few great dim sum places.

If you want to see some serious change, checkout outside of Jefferson Station over the last decade or so on street view (aka Market East).

2007: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9517...!7i3328!8i1664

2020: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9516...7i16384!8i8192

Old 04-13-2021, 03:14 PM

5,495 posts, read 8,600,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
What do you think should be in a food court other than places to buy coffee, fast food, and fast causal things? I feel like it's the same things for the most part in all of them.
[/url]
Yeah, I've never been in a train station (and I've been to them in all of the Northeast Corridor cities) where I thought "wow, what amazing food options!" The food options are intended for a quick bite on the go, not to impress anyone.

Walnut Street Cafe, however, is about a block from 30th Street and is said to be pretty awesome.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:21 PM

7,898 posts, read 3,220,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yeah, I've never been in a train station (and I've been to them in all of the Northeast Corridor cities) where I thought "wow, what amazing food options!" The food options are intended for a quick bite on the go, not to impress anyone.

Walnut Street Cafe, however, is about a block from 30th Street and is said to be pretty awesome.
check out the hub hall next time your in boston at north station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City