U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 AM
 
Location: The City
22,402 posts, read 35,197,543 times
Reputation: 7883

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, I’m not disagreeing with the number, it just seems low. Ever tried to navigate that place during rush hour?

I have never been inside Philly’s station (I know I know, wtf haha). I’ll be in philly probably this weekend or next week, so I may have to check it out.

30th isnt as pretty but not bad. Also if you like the old archictecture of these places check out the Old Reading Railroad Terminal Head (between 12th and13th on Market). It is now part of the Philadelphia Convention Center but you go up into the old Station. Plus grab lunch at the Reading Terminal Market behind and below it.


30th Street Station - Philadelphia Landmark - YouTube

Also next weekend Labor Day will be a mad house, it is the Jay Z freedom concert on the parkway all weekend just as a FYI
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 AM
 
11,109 posts, read 12,883,760 times
Reputation: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
With amtrak, VRE, marc and the red line, Union Station ony gets 50k passengers?
Union Station gets 100,000 passengers from Amtrak alone daily. That's not including MARC, VRE, or Metro. That seems to be what I always read. I don't really know where to search for an accurate number though. I know Marc and VRE together have over 50,000 daily riders without Amtrak so I don't know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 AM
 
Location: The City
22,402 posts, read 35,197,543 times
Reputation: 7883
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Union Station gets 100,000 passengers from Amtrak alone daily. That's not including MARC, VRE, or Metro. That seems to be what I always read. I don't really know where to search for an accurate number though. I know Marc and VRE together have over 50,000 daily riders without Amtrak so I don't know.
According to Amtrak it translates to an average of 13K daily ridership on average for Union station
Amtrak - About Amtrak - Facts & Services - National Fact Sheet

Marc and VRE have 50K, more than I thought. Am actually quite surprised as 30th only has like 35K (actually depart or board and about 100K in total that pass through the station on Septa RR - Suburban Station 8 blocks to the east and Market East 15 blocks east are both busier RR stations for Septa) daily from Septa regional rail - a much larger system
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
11,075 posts, read 21,587,922 times
Reputation: 6220
http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/919/171/...lan-201207.pdf

That's a recent study.

Metro has 68k alone

Quote:
Already a major regional transportation hub, Union Station’s importance will grow as the level of rail and transit ridership increases in the future. As many as 100,000 rail and transit passenger trips are made daily through Union Station, making it one of the nation’s busiest rail stations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 PM
 
11,109 posts, read 12,883,760 times
Reputation: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/919/171/...lan-201207.pdf

That's a recent study.

Metro has 68k alone
Yeah, it's on the first page of that document. I thought I had read Amtrak had 100,000 passengers daily at Union Station. It's the second busiest Amtrak station in the country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 PM
 
11,109 posts, read 12,883,760 times
Reputation: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
According to Amtrak it translates to an average of 13K daily ridership on average for Union station
Amtrak - About Amtrak - Facts & Services - National Fact Sheet

Marc and VRE have 50K, more than I thought. Am actually quite surprised as 30th only has like 35K (actually depart or board and about 100K in total that pass through the station on Septa RR - Suburban Station 8 blocks to the east and Market East 15 blocks east are both busier RR stations for Septa) daily from Septa regional rail - a much larger system
How recent are you stats? I ask because Amtrak just said Union Station gets 100,000 trips a day like two weeks ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 PM
 
Location: The City
22,402 posts, read 35,197,543 times
Reputation: 7883
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
How recent are you stats? I ask because Amtrak just said Union Station gets 100,000 trips a day like two weeks ago.

2011 So you are suggesting Union gets 36.5 Million passengers annually and 5 times as many Amtrak passengers as Penn in NYC. MD check your source and your logic something just ain't computing

Ot think of it this way - for 100K you need approx 700-900 filled Amtrak passenger cars a day - nope sorry. Think these through

According to Amtrak
4.85 million (or 13k per day) in 2011
Amtrak - About Amtrak - Facts & Services - National Fact Sheet

For perspective NY Penn does 9 million annually or 30K per day
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 AM
 
11,109 posts, read 12,883,760 times
Reputation: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
2011 So you are suggesting Union gets 36.5 Million passengers annually and 5 times as many Amtrak passengers as Penn in NYC. MD check your source and your logic something just ain't computing

Ot think of it this way - for 100K you need approx 700-900 filled Amtrak passenger cars a day - nope sorry. Think these through

According to Amtrak
4.85 million (or 13k per day) in 2011
Amtrak - About Amtrak - Facts & Services - National Fact Sheet

For perspective NY Penn does 9 million annually or 30K per day
I guess Amtrak needs to change how they portray their ridership. I was going off the Amtrak master plan. I wonder why they worded it that way? It's very deceiving. Did you read the first page of the Union Station Master Plan? That's where I got it from. I do think it's interesting how quick you were to respond here, yet I asked a very relevant question the other day and you went quiet. Could it be you had no answer for it? I figured you wouldn't but it was still surprising that I was right.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-22-2012 at 04:46 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 AM
 
Location: The City
22,402 posts, read 35,197,543 times
Reputation: 7883
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I guess Amtrak needs to change how they portray their ridership. I was going off the Amtrak master plan. I wonder why they worded it that way? It's very deceiving. Did you read the first page of the Union Station Master Plan? That's where I got it from. I do think it's interesting how quick you were to respond here, yet I asked a very relevant question the other day and you went quiet. Could it be you had no answer for it? I figured you wouldn't but it was still surprising that I was right.
It depends on when you catch me. On the other points I dont know that we totally agree. Supply/Demand will be the driver as will time. You think long term maintianed higher growth DC, I do not, think will be peaks and valleys as the history has always been for DC. I dont think families will be the driver for DC based on the development styling, another area we differ. Also the city wanting population is prroprtional, not an either or. In the end to maintain the growth rates new jobs need to be the catalyst, migration from the burbs only can handle so much stock and without new jobs the whole supply demand thing is off (you seem to disagree so be it) We both agree that DC will continue to grow, just not on the mid to long term velocity/acceleration.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,862 posts, read 17,718,335 times
Reputation: 6438
It's not clearly defined in the Union Station Master Plan, but if you add up Amtrak, MARC, VRE, and Metrorail ridership, you end up a little over 100,000 per day.

According to MARC's website, the whole MARC system carries 33,000/day (certainly some % of passengers don't go to Union Station)
VRE's website shows 2011 annual ridership at 4.5 million = 15,000/day assuming weekday service only
The Wikipedia article on WMATA says 33,000 boardings occur at Union Station. Let's assume an equal number of alightings.
Add Amtrak's 13,000 riders/day to/from Union Station

That totals 127,000/day, less any MARC users who don't travel to/from Union Station. And you can see Metro contributes fully half of the Union Station passenger total.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top