Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best 4-season weather?
Boston 33 20.37%
Chicago 26 16.05%
New York City 45 27.78%
Washington, D.C. 29 17.90%
Atlanta 32 19.75%
Memphis 6 3.70%
Kansas City 18 11.11%
Denver 40 24.69%
Seattle 16 9.88%
San Francisco 18 11.11%
Minneapolis 21 12.96%
Orlando 7 4.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:51 PM

801 posts, read 1,504,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
Okay I've been to Atlanta for all four seasons and they are great. Just because people don't have to wear their snow suit underneath their halloween costume doesn't mean it's not cold. Atlanta gets cold. Maybe not like Chicago or Boston but cold is still cold. The summers are hot but far from brutal. I love the seasons in Atlanta.

Someone said New York has hot summers...yea hot for New Yorkers. I've been there for the last two summers and it was wonderfully refreshing. And I'm talking about the "heat wave"

Orlando does have long hot summers. Short spring, short fall. Winter does actually get pretty cold. Even my friends who just moved to Orlando from New York and Chicago agree. It does get cold. Not as cold as up north but cold none the less. And that ocean breeze is a killer!
Wait, what??? Orlando isn't on an ocean... They don't get an ocean breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 04:55 PM

3,375 posts, read 3,297,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
I will agree that Atlanta has 4 season weather but summer in Atlanta is horrible. It is SO HOT!
I wouldn't mind warmer temps, but I think I agree(as someone who has plenty of experience with Georgia summers, due to the fact my dad's family is from there) living there full time would take a slight adjustment. I don't think it'd be too much of an adjustment, since I know without a doubt I am a warm-blooded person, who just prefers warm weather. And am different than many other Chicagoians I know, who whine the very second it gets hot. (ugh, when I actually LOVE that weather) Funny thing is that I had a very random discussion with someone at a bus stop about a month or 2 ago, and I found someone living here(though I suspect he wasn't a native to the Chicago area, and was someone who had only lived here part of his life) who agreed with my view, loll!

Still, I think Saint Louis would be a great climate compromise between Chicago and Atlanta, and at least would have enough very, very warm days to make me content, without having too many warm days that would drive me batty insane(like Atlanta has). I've always gotten the impression that Indianapolis doesn't get as hot as Saint Louis, but also is slightly milder than Chicago. (and perhaps in a similar fashion to the climate difference one would feel living in Champaign, Peoria, Bloomington(IL), etc., versus Chicago).

Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
What about Boston, Chicago, Denver, and Minneapolis?
Those cities don't stay consistently hot in the summer.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:19 PM

322 posts, read 611,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Wait, what??? Orlando isn't on an ocean... They don't get an ocean breeze.
Well considering Florida is flat there is nothing blocking the wind that comes off the ocean which is only 40 miles away. You don't have to be on the ocean just to get an ocean breeze.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,419,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Uh, they definitely do. It might not be oppressively hot, but it sure is consistent. It's certainly gets hotter in the Twin Cities than it gets cold in Atlanta. Atlanta might freeze a few times during a winter. TC is pretty much 75-90 (or higher) all summer. That's not cold. Boston and Chicago are similar. Denver is even warmer. All four of the cities I listed are comparable to KC and DC. The latter two get a bit hotter, but it certainly is still hot all summer in the former four.
I'm not saying Atlanta doesn't get four distinct seasons, but there are many, many places where it's waaay more pronounced. DC and KC, yeah, but so many other places as well.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,772,096 times
Every person I have ever known who moved to Atlanta from somewhere else (and that's a LOT of people!) has been surprised at how cold it gets here in the winter. Is it Chicago or MPLS cold? No. But it's still cold. The thing is most people think it's going to be like Florida which of course is just ridiculous. It's not even like South Georgia!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Uh, they definitely do. It might not be oppressively hot, but it sure is consistent. It's certainly gets hotter in the Twin Cities than it gets cold in Atlanta. Atlanta might freeze a few times during a winter. TC is pretty much 75-90 (or higher) all summer. That's not cold. Boston and Chicago are similar. Denver is even warmer. All four of the cities I listed are comparable to KC and DC. The latter two get a bit hotter, but it certainly is still hot all summer in the former four.
I'm not saying Atlanta doesn't get four distinct seasons, but there are many, many places where it's waaay more pronounced. DC and KC, yeah, but so many other places as well.
You just helped prove my point. DC and KC are the only two cities where the four seasons are the most pronounced. They simply have the best balance.

It's not uncommon for either of those other cities to only have highs in the 70s or low 80s each summer season, and that's not a real summer to most southerners. They experience waves of heat, but no, it's not consistent. The same way the south doesn't experience "real" winters.

The highest average annual temp for Chicago is like 83 (according to Weather Underground).

Old 10-27-2011, 02:02 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I can only speak for Minneapolis and Denver..but yes they do. (for the most part)

Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Denver imo has the best 4 season weather on that list...but i think Albuquerque is the true winner for 4 season climate. It does get cold in Atlanta and Orlando though. (last time i was in orlando..it was COLD)..Those places just don't compare to the cold in Minneapolis, NYC, Chicago, Denver, etc.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I can only speak for Minneapolis and Denver..but yes they do. (for the most part)
No, they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City