Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which best represents regions
City 7 5.69%
UA 25 20.33%
MSA 64 52.03%
CSA 41 33.33%
Other 7 5.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

I take everything from Austin with a grain of salt.

this list is just as bad as your DMA list you posted earlier in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I take everything from Austin with a grain of salt.

this list is just as bad as your DMA list you posted earlier in this thread.

Funny any time Houston performs more poorly you consider the list bad

Actually to me the list is interesting in that it helps quantify to me what are very noticeable differences in the construct.

The other interesting piece is all metros are becoming less dense based on the numbers, so the average new resident is a less dense nabe then their predecessors. Suggesting at the macro level all metros continue to sprawl with lower density even with infill and increased densisty in certain parts of the areas.

Also it is interesting to look at the gradiant. NYC has the most diversity in density in this regard. San Antonio the lowest

Last edited by kidphilly; 01-05-2012 at 05:04 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Funny any time Houston performs more poorly you consider the list bad
oh yeah DMA is so wonderful it lists TAMPA as the biggest city n Florida and Denver as an area that occupies 1/4 of the Continental US land area.

sure DMA stats are wonderful.

I can flip it around and say you only likes these lists because it gives Philly some heft

LOL Radio markets are better they put Philly in their proper place, below ATL:

Radio Markets:
1 PPM BH S/PPM New York 15,669,500
2 PPM BH S/PPM Los Angeles 10,999,100
3 PPM BH S/PPM Chicago 7,862,200
4 PPM BH S/PPM San Francisco 6,145,800
5 PPM BH S/PPM Dallas-Ft. Worth 5,216,100
6 PPM BH S/PPM Houston-Galveston 4,815,700
7 PPM BH S/PPM Atlanta 4,413,800
8 PPM BH S/PPM Philadelphia 4,357,600
9 PPM BH S/PPM Washington, DC 4,279,900
10 PPM BH S/PPM Boston 3,977,400

Old 01-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
oh yeah DMA is so wonderful it lists TAMPA as the biggest city n Florida and Denver as an area that occupies 1/4 of the Continental US land area.

I can flip it around and say you only likes these lists because it gives Philly some heft

To me the weighted density is interesting in that it actually better quantifies the density by which people reside in the urban form. For DMA it is a measure of city affiliation based on beliefs, interests, media, and advertising connectivity. To me in many ways more representative of influence than commuter rates. It also dictates a more important factor that no census metrics do. How much it cost to buy a TV spot based on the viewers that connect to the markets. All have their value and none are perfect.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:

LOL Radio markets are better they put Philly in their proper place, below ATL:

Radio Markets:
1 PPM BH S/PPM New York 15,669,500
2 PPM BH S/PPM Los Angeles 10,999,100
3 PPM BH S/PPM Chicago 7,862,200
4 PPM BH S/PPM San Francisco 6,145,800
5 PPM BH S/PPM Dallas-Ft. Worth 5,216,100
6 PPM BH S/PPM Houston-Galveston 4,815,700
7 PPM BH S/PPM Atlanta 4,413,800
8 PPM BH S/PPM Philadelphia 4,357,600
9 PPM BH S/PPM Washington, DC 4,279,900
10 PPM BH S/PPM Boston 3,977,400
Ah radio signals are specifically controlled by the FCC, due to proximity to other signals Philadelphia and NY have lowest power on average of any markets (There are 4 seperate radio markets in the Philly MSA alone). TV markets are a much better analog honestly

Households/Population/% of US Population

[LEFT]1 New York 7,493,530 20,093,347 2.68
2 Los Angeles 5,659,170 17,036,504 3.01
3 Chicago 3,501,010 9,381,467 2.68
4 Philadelphia 2,955,190 7,444,967 2.52
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth 2,544,410 6,786,334 2.67
6 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose 2,503,400 6,718,840 2.68
7 Atlanta 2,387,520 6,316,859 2.65
8 Boston (Manchester) 2,410,180 5,983,812 2.48
9 Washington, DC (Hagerstown) 2,335,040 5,935,943 2.54
10 Houston 2,123,460 5,883,467 2.77[/LEFT]

Designated Market Area Map

Also on the size, sans those in vast undeveloped areas, the TX DMAs actually cover the largest area, you should like DMAs in this regard. The Houston DMA covers twice the land area of the Philadelphia one for example; though Houston is smaller land areas wise when compared to DFW

Old 01-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
To me the weighted density is interesting in that it actually better quantifies the density by which people reside in the urban form. For DMA it is a measure of city affiliation based on beliefs, interests, media, and advertising connectivity. To me in many ways more representative of influence than commuter rates. It also dictates a more important factor that no census metrics do. How much it cost to buy a TV spot based on the viewers that connect to the markets. All have their value and none are perfect.
so you believe the strongest market in Florida is Tampa?
That The DFW market is stronger than the Entire Bay area, Entire Boston area, or entire DC area??
That the market in ATL is Stronger than the DC area or Boston Area??

WOW!!!!

You know DMA is just BS but you like it because Philly is 4th.

DMA is okay for the 1st 3 cities, but it goes downhill after that.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
so you believe the strongest market in Florida is Tampa?
That The DFW market is stronger than the Entire Bay area, Entire Boston area, or entire DC area??
That the market in ATL is Stronger than the DC area??

WOW!!!!

You know DMA is just BS but you like it because Philly is 4th.

DMA is okay for the 1st 3 cities, but it goes downhill after that.

As I said they all have their flaws and benefits.

Tampa is a larger market for advertising than Miami on TV, though NCC now sells spot and local for Miami and Ft Laud packaged which is more significant than Tampa from an ad perspective.

In terms of media, absolutely Philly is the 4th largest market, it has been for quite some time, the Bay was closing and has slowed on its approach, DFW is gaining pretty quickly on the 4th spot though still about 800K behind. But in terms of what are considered the most important advertising markets, It absolutely is the 4th largest.

Just a note in that if Dover and A/B MSAs become a part of the Philly CSA the DMA and CSA will just about match.

Some subtle differences though, Cecil County MD is a Philly MSA county (this one always blows my mind) while a Baltimore DMA county. Mercer County is a Philly DMA place but in the NYC CSA. Dover DE is a Salisbry MD DMA place I believe. Philly is just a weird one on many of these metrics due to proximity and complex commuter patterns in the region

Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
As I said they all have their flaws and benefits.

Tampa is a larger market for advertising than Miami on TV, though NCC now sells spot and local for Miami and Ft Laud packaged which is more significant than Tampa from an ad perspective.

In terms of media, absolutely Philly is the 4th largest market, it has been for quite some time, the Bay was closing and has slowed on its approach, DFW is gaining pretty quickly on the 4th spot though still about 800K behind. But in terms of what are considered the most important advertising markets, It absolutely is the 4th largest.

Just a note in that if Dover and A/B MSAs become a part of the Philly CSA the DMA and CSA will just about match.

Some subtle differences though, Cecil County MD is a Philly MSA county (this one always blows my mind) while a Baltimore DMA county. Mercer County is a Philly DMA place but in the NYC CSA. Dover DE is a Salisbry MD DMA place I believe. Philly is just a weird one on many of these metrics due to proximity and complex commuter patterns in the region
advertising markets are useless dude. doesn't tell you much about a region.

I would advertise in Miami and Orlando a zillion times over before I advertise in Tampa.

anyway I took a look at your DMA map for philly. It includes things it has no right including. It included Mercer, Lancaster, parts of Baltimore MSA, The Lehigh valley.

Too broad dude. It looked worse than a sloppy CSA.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
advertising markets are useless dude. doesn't tell you much about a region.

I would advertise in Miami and Orlando a zillion times over before I advertise in Tampa.

anyway I took a look at your DMA map for philly. It includes things it has no right including. It included Mercer, Lancaster, parts of Baltimore MSA, The Lehigh valley.

Too broad dude. It looked worse than a sloppy CSA.

Actually according to demographics and influence for the consumer (i.e who the consumers actually affilate with) it tells more.

Advertising is based on reach and markets; I do believe I would know more about this than you based on personal experience and working as a markting/managment consultant

Mercer people are part of Philly; and the Lehigh valley is in the Philly market as is AC. There are NO parts of the Baltimore MSA in the Philly DMA. Cecil county MD is part of the Philly MSA dude of which the DMA only covers a portion of this area. Also the cicular outline is the TV range of signal, the green counties are the DMA area. Lancaster is NOT included in the population estimates, nor is any part of MD for that matter. The DMA includes Philly, Reading, A/B, Trenton, and AC. None of which are any stretch for the TV market r affiliation with Philadelphia

http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/market...delphia_PA.pdf

And here is the Houston for reference (note how much lareger the scale, Houston isnt being slighted in a media market perspective, the market stretches well over a hundred miles in in both directions
http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/market...Houston_TX.pdf

And some others
http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/market...t_Worth_TX.pdf

http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/market...an_Jose_CA.pdf

Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Actually according to demographics and influence for the consumer (i.e who the consumers actually affilate with) it tells more.

Advertising is based on reach and markets; I do believe I would know more about this than you based on personal experience and working as a markting/managment consultant

Mercer people are part of Philly; and the Lehigh valley is in the Philly market as is AC. There are NO parts of the Baltimore MSA in the Philly DMA. Cecil county MD is part of the Philly MSA dude of which the DMA only covers a portion of this area. Also the cicular outline is the TV range of signal, the green counties are the DMA area. Lancaster is NOT included in the population estimates, nor is any part of MD for that matter. The DMA includes Philly, Reading, A/B, Trenton, and AC. None of which are any stretch for the TV market r affiliation with Philadelphia

http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/market...delphia_PA.pdf

And here is the Houston for reference (note how much lareger the scale, Houston isnt being slighted in a media market perspective, the market stretches well over a hundred miles in in both directions
http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/market...Houston_TX.pdf

And some others
http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/market...t_Worth_TX.pdf

http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/market...an_Jose_CA.pdf
That map for Houston shows the MSA and 9 additional counties. Therefore its DMA should be at LEAST the MSA population.

just like you to post things with flawed stats

the 9 additional counties barely add 200-250K to the MSA but still where are they getting 5.8M for the market area?? should be 6M plus about 250K

adjusted for 2012 population Total DMA should be about 6.6M
pffft still don't like it.

I am thinking it is based on precensus population estimates. You know the ones that had estimated that certain metros had hundreds of thousands more people than they actually had.

I will stick with MSA, thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City