Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: more urban city?
LA 87 53.70%
Philly 75 46.30%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:24 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times

Advertisements

LA is not yards and driveways to the extent that most people think it is, especially not in its core, which is one of the densest continuous areas of any US city.

It's honestly pretty funny for anyone to actually believe Philly in total could be more urban than LA (as in having more total things that are "city-ish"), when LA is more than twice as populated as Philly in the city proper, and 2 to 3 times as populated on the metro level, not mention it has a core area that easily gives philly's core competition on density. Yeah most of Philly was built before the proliferation of the car (a large amount of LA was too by the way), so it has better public transit, and LA has some neighhborhoods that are much less dense than most in Philly...so what? That doesn't make Philly "more urban". LA also has many neighborhoods that are just as dense as any in Philly, and even one or two that are more dense. And for the record, the public transit in LA is not that bad at all within core areas.

Both cities are highly urban and have their own styles of urbanity going on, with some similarities and many differences, but neither is really "more urban" (all "urban" means is "relating to the city or city life", look it up) unless you want to take "more" as meaning literally "more in total", in which case it obviously would go to LA, because LA is much bigger than Philly. Going beyond that is denying the truth, or splitting hairs, or getting caught up on subjective crap, etc.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
So because something does not esthetically look like eastcoast urbanity it is not
nevermind walkability, the packed sidewalks, the storefronts facing the sidewalks, nevermind the density, nevermind the packed buses, nevermind the large neighborhoods made up of almost entirely 1930's apartment buildings, nevermind that this type of urbanity stretches out for miles and miles in every direction.
Was it really necessary to create another username specifically for the purpose of posting in this thread?

I'm sure Los Angeles does have some walkable neighborhoods. But as a whole, it is far less walkable than Philly. Atlanta and Dallas have some walkable areas, too, so that's not saying a whole lot. I'm not going to write many words here to clarify a fact that should be obvious to anyone with eyes to see.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:44 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Was it really necessary to create another username specifically for the purpose of posting in this thread?

I'm sure Los Angeles does have some walkable neighborhoods. But as a whole, it is far less walkable than Philly. Atlanta and Dallas have some walkable areas, too, so that's not saying a whole lot. I'm not going to write many words here to clarify a fact that should be obvious to anyone with eyes to see.
I'm sorry you don't understand unless you've been here, most of the LA city proper is very walkable, the only difference is we use buses as our primary transportation when without a car

Old 09-29-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
LA is not yards and driveways to the extent that most people think it is, especially not in its core, which is one of the densest continuous areas of any US city.
I don't know what Philly's "core" would be. Most people in Philly think of the city as "North, West, Southwest, Southside," as the song goes, plus the notable exclusions of the Northwest and Northeast. Anything outside of Philadelphia (which is co-extensive with Philadelphia County) is not Philly.

Quote:
It's honestly pretty funny for anyone to actually believe Philly in total could be more urban than LA (as in having more total things that are "city-ish"),
Subways, the EL, and trolleys all seem pretty "city-ish" to me. Drive-through burger joints, on the other hand, do not.

Quote:
when LA is more than twice as populated as Philly in the city proper,
Phoenix and Houston also have more populated city propers. Your point?

Quote:
and 2 to 3 times as populated on the metro level, not mention it has a core area that easily gives philly's core competition on density.
Metro Los Angeles has way more people than the DVR. I'm not going to dispute that. But I don't see how this buttresses your point that LA is more urban. LA is a ridiculously vast spanse of suburban-style development. Philadelphia is a large (though smaller than LA), compact city with relatively sparsely populated surrounding areas. If your argument is that suburban Los Angeles is denser than suburban Philly, then okay, you win. But who cares? A suburb's still a suburb. Besides, we don't Eff with the suburbs anyway. We think of Philly as strictly the city proper (well, the people who are actually FROM Philly think that way). That's not really the case for LA.

Quote:
Both cities are highly urban and have their own styles of urbanity going on, with some similarities and many differences, but neither is really "more urban" (all "urban" means is "relating to the city or city life", look it up) unless you want to take "more" as meaning literally "more in total", in which case it obviously would go to LA, because LA is much bigger than Philly. Going beyond that is denying the truth, or splitting hairs, or getting caught up on subjective crap, etc.
I've never thought of LA as being "highly" urban. There are parts of Boston and Chicago I've visited and thought, "Damn, this is really crowded." But I've never experienced that in Los Angeles. It's well above Atlanta and Houston in that department, but considerably below Philly, Boston and Chicago.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry you don't understand unless you've been here, most of the LA city proper is very walkable, the only difference is we use buses as our primary transportation when without a car
I've been to Los Angeles. You, like many people on C-D, have a tendency to exaggerate. I'm still waiting to see the pictures of the thousands of rowhouses in St. Louis, for example, "on par with Baltimore and Philadelphia" as Slengel has stated. And I'm also still waiting on the evidence of Cleveland's robust banking industry. Lastly, I'm still waiting on the evidence that Midtown Atlanta is denser and more urban than Back Bay, Boston.

Some of these claims are just ridiculous. And I'm sorry, to say that LA is more urban than Philadelphia is one of them. It's about as stupid as arguing whether Philly is dirtier or cleaner than Orlando.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I don't know what Philly's "core" would be. Most people in Philly think of the city as "North, West, Southwest, Southside," as the song goes, plus the notable exclusions of the Northwest and Northeast. Anything outside of Philadelphia (which is co-extensive with Philadelphia County) is not Philly.

Subways, the EL, and trolleys all seem pretty "city-ish" to me. Drive-through burger joints, on the other hand, do not.

Phoenix and Houston also have more populated city propers. Your point?

Metro Los Angeles has way more people than the DVR. I'm not going to dispute that. But I don't see how this buttresses your point that LA is more urban. LA is a ridiculously vast spanse of suburban-style development. Philadelphia is a large (though smaller than LA), compact city with relatively sparsely populated surrounding areas. If your argument is that suburban Los Angeles is denser than suburban Philly, then okay, you win. But who cares? A suburb's still a suburb. Besides, we don't Eff with the suburbs anyway. We think of Philly as strictly the city proper (well, the people who are actually FROM Philly think that way). That's not really the case for LA.

I've never thought of LA as being "highly" urban. There are parts of Boston and Chicago I've visited and thought, "Damn, this is really crowded." But I've never experienced that in Los Angeles. It's well above Atlanta and Houston in that department, but considerably below Philly, Boston and Chicago.
That's because you never visited the core, you probably visited costa mesa and judging the city from a suburb, if you came anywhere near the core you wouldn't be saying these comments.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
That's because you never visited the core, you probably visited costa mesa and judging the city from a suburb, if you came anywhere near the core you wouldn't be saying these comments.
Well, I've been to 3 of the 5 Roscoe's. When I was there in March '09, I asked my friend to take me to Crenshaw High School, since that's where Tre and Ricky from Boyz N' Da Hood and Moesha and Dorian (played by Ray-J) went. I also wanted to see where Rodney King got his a$$ beat. I also wanted to see the area Alonzo from Training Day patroled. I wanted to be a "wolf" in the LA streets. I had a good time in South Central L.A. I didn't even have to use my AK. It was a good day.

Is South Central not the "core?"

Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Luckily, this didn't happen to be during my last West Coast visit.

"I apologize for beatin' that @ss, Lil' Homey."

The Wood Fight - YouTube

Old 09-29-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Well, I've been to 3 of the 5 Roscoe's. When I was there in March '09, I asked my friend to take me to Crenshaw High School, since that's where Tre and Ricky from Boyz N' Da Hood and Moesha and Dorian (played by Ray-J) went. I also wanted to see where Rodney King got his a$$ beat. I also wanted to see the area Alonzo from Training Day patroled. I wanted to be a "wolf" in the LA streets. I had a good time in South Central L.A. I didn't even have to use my AK. It was a good day.

Is South Central not the "core?"
LOL, no way bro, those areas you talk about are not even close to the core, and south central is a massive area, but I'm glad you explored an area away from the tourist traps

Old 09-29-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
LOL, no way bro, those areas you talk about are not even close to the core, and south central is a massive area, but I'm glad you explored an area away from the tourist traps
So where is the "core" then? I've been to downtown LA. Been over by the Staples Center. Rode down Sunset. Been to Santa Monica. Rode down Rodeo. Rode all the way out to Montebello through East LA. Where oh where is the core???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City