Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Northeast 6 12.77%
Midwest 5 10.64%
South 31 65.96%
West 5 10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think it is the South that gets it the most both on City-Data and in real life by the urban density crowd and the occassional liberal. Believe it or not, I actually think it is worse here on City-Data.

I say this because in real life most people I know here in New York do not (despite the sterotypes) spend their days knocking other parts of the country the way that people claim we do. The exception maybe is Florida, where most New Yorkers have an opinion on and a love-hate realtionship with.

Other parts of the country get it (here on CD the Midwest and the Northeast), and some people seem to have a vendetta against certain cities; Chicago, NYC, LA, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Philadelphia etc.
So true. Indecisive New Yorkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,593 times
The South in general, and the "Rust Belt" both get terribly stereotyped A LOT, typically by people who actually know zilch about either region.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Okay, I think New Orleans is cool. But come on, what's a slam-dunk AWESOME southern city. You know, a city that someone visiting from half-way around the world has GOT to see.
Orlando. People visit it REGULARLY. And I already know what you're about to say.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The way I see it - the west and midwest have at least a city or 2 that is their "saving grace".

Unfortunately, the south has no such city yet.
New Orleans
Charleston
Savannah
St. Augustine
Miami
Austin
Richmond

Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,276 times
The midwest honestly. For the number of South-bashers, there are just as many who love it. The Midwest isn't so lucky. And it's extremely underrated.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:00 AM

285 posts, read 642,032 times
Unfortunately (outside of CD) people from the Midwest probably bash their own region more than any other and have a grass is always greener on the other side mentality. For many the South is actually the promised land because of the warmer weather. Honestly it is the people from the Midwest who tell others when they travel that it is flat, cold, declining, boring, etc... The people I know who have lived in Midwestern cities who come from other regions of the country normally say it actually is not that different from living in any other region of the country. What one person calls boring another calls relaxing.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Although not the most bashed, the Southwest gets regular negative responses. Often hear; "there's nothing there" or that the cities "shouldn't exist" or are dirty, which i think has to do with there being more brown in the landscape.
Mostly the SW is overlooked like how it's not mentioned in this thread's poll. The West doesn't cut it as one region if you live west of the Plains. There's the Northwest, Southwest, California, and the Mountain West, all a lot different from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City