Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:45 PM

704 posts, read 1,785,388 times

Advertisements

I don't think that having an enormous, often-frozen lake makes you a "coastal destination." I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce in Detroit and Milwaukee would love to hear that.

I think that Denver, Salt Lake, Dallas, and St. Louis are probably some of the finest flyover cities. Frankly, I'm MUCH rather live in flyover country, and the truly liveable cities that you find throughout America's heartland are much more desirable than the more sophisticated coastal cities that people like to fawn over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 05:22 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,568,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I don't think that having an enormous, often-frozen lake makes you a "coastal destination." I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce in Detroit and Milwaukee would love to hear that.

I think that Denver, Salt Lake, Dallas, and St. Louis are probably some of the finest flyover cities. Frankly, I'm MUCH rather live in flyover country, and the truly liveable cities that you find throughout America's heartland are much more desirable than the more sophisticated coastal cities that people like to fawn over.
No one is claiming that Detroit has a coastal feel. It's not even on a lake! It's on the Detroit River.

"Often frozen" seems like an exaggeration. Lake Erie freezes because it is really shallow. The rest might be partially frozen in January and February, but that's it. These are huge bodies of water. They are not frozen for 6 months, or even 3 months. Even Lake Superior never freezes. It is too big and too deep. By the time it starts to really freeze, the weather warms back up.

If you ever spent a summer weekend in Grand Haven or Ludington MI, you would change your tune about whether they are beach destinations.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,075,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The Great Lakes should be called SEAS?

LMFAO

I've heard it all now.
Well technically they're the same thing as seas. Seas are saltwater, lakes are freshwater. It doesn't really differentiate about size.

If you took the Great Lakes and dumped them out, they would cover all of the lower 48 states to a depth of 10 feet.

Either way - this thread is whacked!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:04 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,499,862 times
Default Inland Sea's

There are two inland sea's in the United States " the Great Salt Lakes " near Salt Lake City and the " Salton Sea " 100 Miles east of Los Angeles
, and they can't even support a ocean or sea sort of vibe.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,875,608 times
Most all geographers worth their salt would tell you the Great Lakes is the Third Coast.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,494,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Philadelphia isn't coastal but in the summer many head to the shore and it is packed and a totally different vibe, yes. Boston has a very coastal vibe and is felt in all the other New England coastal towns. I know you were trying to be funny but you kind of proved my point.
New Yorkers go to the shore also and has a strong affinity with South Florida.
But my main points were some of the "nicer" beaches in FL and CA, which contain more population between them than the entire Great Lakes megalopolis.
The difference is blatantly obvious to me in terms of vibe and culture between the East Coast coastal cities including FL, the CA Coastal cities vs the Midwest cities around the great lakes, but, I guess you don't see it. It's not a good or bad thing, but is there a huge difference? Yes. It certainly isn't like the Wisconsin poster said as "they feel the same when you are there". That is what I was referring to as crazy talk. It's like saying the mountains in North Georgia or something compare to the Rockies or Sierra Nevadas. There is that much of a difference IMO, and yes frankly it is dramatic difference. Same with great lakes vs the oceans.
Now from somebody from the Midwest, the Great Lakes might be "satisfying" experience as they aren't used to the ocean generally. But for me having grown up in a beach house on the ocean, it definitely isn't a good substitute.
If I want a big city experience Chicago is perfect, not Charlotte. If I want to go to a beach getaway, I'm going to South Beach or San Diego, not the Great Lakes. Again, the difference is that dramatic and there is that much of a difference in feel/quality what have you.
I never said they were the same or felt the same. Please do your duty and read properly. The Great Lakes vs. ocean debate is ridiculous and pointless. I feel sorry for the people who are so close minded that they are missing out on the majority of the country. Too bad for them I suppose.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM

13,947 posts, read 14,845,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
For the sake of this thread let's also exclude Great Lakes cities, which to me, really shouldn't be considered part of flyover country.
Just because you live there, the Midwest is Flyover country if the South is.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:50 PM

285 posts, read 639,596 times
This thread is difficult to respond to because what is certainly flyover country is anywhere that is rural; i.e. the vast expanses of farmland in the Midwest. Cities are not rural so...

Last edited by czb2004; 09-23-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,494,266 times
so is Atlanta flyover country? How about Pittsburgh? Charlotte? Houston? I guess Madrid, Paris, Berlin, and Toronto are also all flyover country since they don't sit directly on the coast. Such uncultured cities!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,875,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
This thread is difficult to respond to because what is certainly flyover country is anywhere that is rural; i.e. the vast expanses of farmland in the Midwest. Cities are not rural so...
oh yeah! take a look here at St Louis...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City