Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Isnt just about any "best cities" list subjective???

Either way, I was happy to see my city (Plano, TX) as the best city in Texas! (even though its still super subjective).
wow, Plano before Austin??? did the media control panel in Austin take a day off?

I am disappointed that Boise didn't rank higher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM

815 posts, read 1,858,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
wow, Plano before Austin??? did the media control panel in Austin take a day off?
Isn't Plano home to Frito Lay and Dr. Pepper? I am not going to verify that...but I know I see "Plano, TX" on some products...

Old 09-23-2011, 09:46 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
50 Best Yuppish Hubs would have been a more precise heading.

When Scottsdale,Charlotte,Austin +Raleigh popup my faux city meter goes absolutely bonkers

In a shocking development. A thread in which Montclair starts, has SF high on the list.
While I essentially agree, it's worth remembering that some people like places like Scottsdale and Charlotte. To me this list seems fine and fairly accurate, so long as I weed out the places I find aesthetically distasteful. If I were a Raleigh kind of guy, I'd find it worthwhile to know where it ranked. As a Boston/NY/L.A. kind of guy, I just don't have to pay attention to some of the list.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:53 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
While I essentially agree, it's worth remembering that some people like places like Scottsdale and Charlotte. To me this list seems fine and fairly accurate, so long as I weed out the places I find aesthetically distasteful. If I were a Raleigh kind of guy, I'd find it worthwhile to know where it ranked. As a Boston/NY/L.A. kind of guy, I just don't have to pay attention to some of the list.
First of all, you are comparing a central city to a suburb of Phoenix. Secondly, why is Charlotte (rated way down at #20) even being brought up? Lastly, have you any clue that next year's Democratic National Convention (the same National Convention Boston hosted in 2004) will be held in downtown Charlotte?

Democratic Convention 2004 Boston Massachusetts

http://www.dncdigs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Charlotte-in-2012-Logo1.png (broken link)
DNC Digs - Your Source for Private Rentals for DNC Charlotte 2012

No, Charlotte is NOT Boston, but it is by NO MEANS a Scottsdale or a Raleigh either!!! Please, stop painting all Sunbelt cities with the same brush, because it doesn't work that way at all any more.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Isn't Plano home to Frito Lay and Dr. Pepper? I am not going to verify that...but I know I see "Plano, TX" on some products...
frito Lay Yes, Dr Pepper no.

They could have picked a better pic for Plano than that sea of Suburbs, sheesh.

They got a good one for San Antonio though. That is the best representation of the skyline I have ever seen

Old 09-23-2011, 10:01 AM

8,624 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
First of all, you are comparing a central city to a suburb of Phoenix. Secondly, why is Charlotte (rated way down at #20) even being brought up? Lastly, have you any clue that next year's Democratic National Convention (the same National Convention Boston hosted in 2004) will be held in downtown Charlotte?

Democratic Convention 2004 Boston Massachusetts

DNC Digs - Your Source for Private Rentals for DNC Charlotte 2012

No, Charlotte is NOT Boston, but it is by NO MEANS a Scottsdale or a Raleigh either!!! Please, stop painting all Sunbelt cities with the same brush, because it doesn't work that way at all any more.
I bet it wish it had some things that Scottsdale has.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

Kettle meet pot. You essentially just compared Raleigh (a central city) to Scottsdale.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:05 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I bet it wish it had some things that Scottsdale has.
Scottsdale has it's retail because it is located in Metro Phoenix (a metro that is more than twice metro Charlotte's size). So let's not split hairs here. Charlotte is a city, Scottsdale is a suburb of a large city. There is a difference and you know it.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,710,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Raleigh; The boring suburbanite's dream.
You hit the nail on the head............

Old 09-23-2011, 10:11 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Seems strange that they would list DC and Arlington separately. Of course they are different jurisdictions, but the quality of life from one frequently bleeds into the other, and vice versa.

Kind of a strange list all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City