Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:32 PM

13,674 posts, read 15,574,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Only Metro North stops running at 1 AM. LIRR, NJ Transit, & The Path all operate 24/7. The LIRR is the busiest suburban rail system in North America so Im gonna say the transit options in the burbs of NYC are probably as good, if not better, then DC's.
For close in suburbs like Hoboken or Newark which is not a suburb yes. For places that don't border NYC no. Places that are say 30 mins from NYC don't have that option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 10:48 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,936,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
For close in suburbs like Hoboken or Newark which is not a suburb yes. For places that don't border NYC no. Places that are say 30 mins from NYC don't have that option.
Well the coverage of the Subway is light years ahead of Metro:

DC Metrorail Track Length: 106.3 miles
NYC Subway Track Length: 842 miles

LIRR runs 24 hrs a day, I can get 40 miles east of the city at 4am if I wanted to.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post

LIRR runs 24 hrs a day, I can get 40 miles east of the city at 4am if I wanted to.
Well if you want to start a thread about coverage, then that would be appropriate. This thread is about subway hours for the suburbs. NYC's subway stops at the city proper line. Just the facts. The point of this thread is to address a real problem that exists with the lack of late rail hours for places outside the city.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Well if you want to start a thread about coverage, then that would be appropriate. This thread is about subway hours for the suburbs. NYC's subway stops at the city proper line. Just the facts. The point of this thread is to address a real problem that exists with the lack of late rail hours for places outside the city.
PATH and LIRR, which both can be accessed from Manhattan, are 24 hours and cover a huge portion of the New York Suburbs.

Late night transit to suburbs is great in DC, but transit in the NYC tri state area is on another level.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
PATH and LIRR, which both can be accessed from Manhattan, are 24 hours and cover a huge portion of the New York Suburbs.

Late night transit to suburbs is great in DC, but transit in the NYC tri state area is on another level.
What lines are 24 hr on LIRR? I just chose a random station (Medford) and it didn't have anything close to 24hr service. I already know about the Path but that only services close in suburbs equivalent to DC's Arlington. It doesn't even come close to distances like Shady Grove (Gaithersburg MD).

Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:

Just checked another line to Smithtown and the last train departs Penn Station at 1:42 am to Smithtown. Which lines are you referring too that run 24hrs for LIRR?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
What lines are 24 hr on LIRR? I just chose a random station (Medford) and it didn't have anything close to 24hr service. I already know about the Path but that only services close in suburbs equivalent to DC's Arlington. It doesn't even come close to distances like Shady Grove (Gaithersburg MD).
I dont know what lines exactly, as I did not grow up on Long Island. I know one can get to Ronkonkoma, NY (Long Island Town 50 miles East of Manhattan.) 24 hrs a day, one of my friends lives there and frequently takes the LIRR home at all hours.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:59 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,103,386 times
Quote:

NYC does not have 842 miles of (passenger and revenue) track!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
I thought this was about regional rail transit to more distant outlying areas late at night? Now it's just about subways that cross borders into suburbs?

Cities with small civic boundries like DC are obviuosly going to come out ahead, and cities with huge civic boundries who's subways don't cross them are disqualified. Not much to debate.

I thought we were talking about how people in places far away from the central city can get home late at night. Like 20-30 miles from the urban core.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I dont know what lines exactly, as I did not grow up on Long Island. I know one can get to Ronkonkoma, NY (Long Island Town 50 miles East of Manhattan.) 24 hrs a day, one of my friends lives thereand frequently takes the LIRR home at all hours.
LIRR operates every 2 hrs at night to Ronokonkoma. You can't even take the rest of the lines past 1:30 am and some don't operate at all. The metro runs every 15 minutes late night. Metro and LIRR are apples and oranges much like NYC's MTA subway is apples and oranges to LIRR. Look man, NYC is an example for everyone in transit so there is no comparison but NYC can't win everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City