Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Princeton University is:
a New York area university. 41 19.07%
a Philadelphia area university. 44 20.47%
neither 130 60.47%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 11:58 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times

Advertisements

Since someone dusted this thread off, I'd like to correct a statement made often in it.

I don't know if anyone else has done so, and if they have, pardon my redundancy, but:

Mercer County, NJ, is not in the New York MSA. It's in the New York CSA.

The Consolidated Statistical Area is an economically interconnected region consisting of more than one MSA and/or µSA. Mercer County, NJ, home to the state capital as well as a significant employment hub beyond the university in and around Princeton, is its own MSA: Trenton.

Given that you can get from most places in the county to New York on regional rail without changing trains, while the only place you can get to Philadelphia from in that fashion is Trenton, and given that there are probably more Middlesex County residents commuting to Princeton than there are Bucks County residents doing so, by the OMB's definitions, Mercer County may well rightly belong in the New York CSA.

But it's not in the New York DMA ("designated market area" — media market); it's in Philadelphia's. Most Mercerites watch Philadelphia rather than New York TV stations, and more than one Philadelphia media outlet maintains a Trenton bureau and covers Mercer County local stories as part of their mix. OTOH, the only New York media outlet with reporters on the ground in Mercer is The New York Times, and their reporter is there mainly to cover New Jersey state government. Hell, there's a Chickie's and Pete's outlet on US 206 in the county — that's a chain of restaurants and sports bars rooted in Philadelphia. I don't know too many New York-oriented establishments of this type located in the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 01:18 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Since someone dusted this thread off, I'd like to correct a statement made often in it.

I don't know if anyone else has done so, and if they have, pardon my redundancy, but:

Mercer County, NJ, is not in the New York MSA. It's in the New York CSA.

The Consolidated Statistical Area is an economically interconnected region consisting of more than one MSA and/or µSA. Mercer County, NJ, home to the state capital as well as a significant employment hub beyond the university in and around Princeton, is its own MSA: Trenton.

Given that you can get from most places in the county to New York on regional rail without changing trains, while the only place you can get to Philadelphia from in that fashion is Trenton, and given that there are probably more Middlesex County residents commuting to Princeton than there are Bucks County residents doing so, by the OMB's definitions, Mercer County may well rightly belong in the New York CSA.

But it's not in the New York DMA ("designated market area" — media market); it's in Philadelphia's. Most Mercerites watch Philadelphia rather than New York TV stations, and more than one Philadelphia media outlet maintains a Trenton bureau and covers Mercer County local stories as part of their mix. OTOH, the only New York media outlet with reporters on the ground in Mercer is The New York Times, and their reporter is there mainly to cover New Jersey state government. Hell, there's a Chickie's and Pete's outlet on US 206 in the county — that's a chain of restaurants and sports bars rooted in Philadelphia. I don't know too many New York-oriented establishments of this type located in the county.
Yeah im on Princeton's campus every week. It leans PHL over NYC.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:12 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I say that it's located near Philadelphia, but technically Mercer County, NJ is part of the New York Statistical Area.

Old 08-14-2021, 11:26 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
I have friends who moved to the Princeton area years ago because the husband worked in Philly and the wife worked in North Jersey. It was basically halfway for them.

That said, Princeton University is kind of its own thing. That area though, Mercer County, as has been pointed out is more covered by the Philly area news and media outlets.

Old 08-14-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I have friends who moved to the Princeton area years ago because the husband worked in Philly and the wife worked in North Jersey. It was basically halfway for them.

That said, Princeton University is kind of its own thing. That area though, Mercer County, as has been pointed out is more covered by the Philly area news and media outlets.
I agree. It is also crazy how a 20 minute drive to the Brunswicks are a completely different world than Princeton…

Old 08-14-2021, 11:38 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Why not a both option? To me it seems important for both

Old 08-14-2021, 12:35 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Why not a both option? To me it seems important for both

Philly has Penn NYC has Columbia, Princeton is middle ground.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Philly has Penn NYC has Columbia, Princeton is middle ground.
Were more of a … Trenton school. If you had to assign a city

Old 08-14-2021, 02:49 PM

914 posts, read 560,866 times
Now that this thread is revived....

Princeton was, historically, the most Southern (in terms of whence students were drawn) of the colonial-era colleges north of the Mason-Dixon Line. It was a Presbyterian school (Columbia was Anglican, by contrast; Yale was a hiving off of conservative Congregationalists who felt Harvard had become too rationalist), and attracted religiously conservative students in its origins. In the late 19th and early 20th century, there was a lot of interaction between Princeton and the notionally public gentleman's school that was then the University of Virginia.

That said, Princeton historically leaned southwest more than northeast, as it were. IIRC, The Lawrenceville School did likewise.

Old 08-14-2021, 03:11 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Were more of a … Trenton school. If you had to assign a city
The fabled Central jersey . Yeah, i've been several times, never felt it favored one city entirely... Princeton does it's own thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City