Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Princeton University is:
a New York area university. 41 19.07%
a Philadelphia area university. 44 20.47%
neither 130 60.47%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i always viewed it as a "Princeton" school.

Is Bucknell a Pittsburgh, Buffalo, or Philly school? see how silly it sounds to try and tie a school to a metro area?

Lehigh is 45 minutes from Philly, and about 90 minutes from NYC. The school was made up of tons of people from NYC, Long Island, and NJ. and some philly as well. not to mention all the people from around the country and world. Is Lehigh a Philly school? No, it's a Bethlehem school.
Fair points though I think more of the discussion revolves around the additional jobs/research facilities etc hat go along with these major institutions.

Bucknell is definately a stretch (it is 2.5 hours from either NYC or Philly) and Lehigh is much further from Philly or NY than Princeton is from either. Also this area of Jersey is going to affiliate more with the NE corrider than would Bethlehem though both Lehigh and Princeton are in the Philly TV market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The original name of Princeton University was The College of New Jersey--long before Trenton State College co-opted the name.

Originally, it was located in Elizabeth, NJ, and later relocated to Princeton, where many folks (G. Washington included) referred to the school simply as "Nassau Hall", the name of their only building at the time. All of that being said, Princeton University is, and has always been, a New Jersey school--as evidenced by its original name.

Case closed
Princeton University is clearly a New Jersey school. That goes without saying. That doesn't mean it can't also be a Philadelphia area or NYC area school though. Rutgers is obviously a New Jersey School, But it's Newark Campus is also obviously a New York Area school and it's Camden campus is clearly a Philadelphia area school.

If you think a vote for Philadelphia or New York means that someone is saying it is not a New Jersey school, that is just wrong. No one could make the argument that it's not a New Jersey school. It's physically IN New Jersey. No one is trying to take Princeton away from New Jersey, just trying to determine if it also identifies with one of the nearby large cities.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't think that it would tell anything. It's an Ivy League school. That would be like saying that if, by chance, U of P or, say Duke had more NY students in a given year that they had magically become NY schools.

Princeton is not a NY or Philly school. It has it's own identity. Philadelphia doesn't try to claim it.

Some of the logic in this thread is weird, in my opinion. Philadelphia has it's own, MidAtlantic, identity. If you go by some of the logic here, what's the next step? Claiming cities in NC as being in the NY metro? There's a lot of NYers in NC cities who work from home, for their NY employers.
I guess I don't understand then. I don't see how there can be an argument like this and the make up of the students doesn't matter.

But I always considered it a NJ school I guess.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Fair points though I think more of the discussion revolves around the additional jobs/research facilities etc hat go along with these major institutions.

Bucknell is definately a stretch (it is 2.5 hours from either NYC or Philly) and Lehigh is much further from Philly or NY than Princeton is from either. Also this area of Jersey is going to affiliate more with the NE corrider than would Bethlehem though both Lehigh and Princeton are in the Philly TV market
how far is Princeton from Philly? I used to make Friday night runs to South street for a cheesesteak with friends from Lehigh. It's a lilttle over an hour drive with no traffic. just looked it up on the map, Princeton would be 45 miles, Lehigh would be 59 miles.

i just used examples of other schools to point out...schools not directly in the cities themselves aren't associated with them. They are associated with the cities they are in.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
growing up in CT , i never considered Princeton a NYC area school, but i also thought Philly was in the south

i didn't think White Plains was NYC area either and it isn't its westchester
You have no idea how many times I've been told, by people from the NY metro, that Philadelphia is in the South. It's the MidAtlantic. There's a whole litany of things that get lobbed by vistors from the NY metro & then they wonder why there is animosity.

Princeton is in the mythical land of Central Jersey. Just because a lot of people recently moved out of the NY metro does not make Princeton a NY school, even if the number of recent transplants was enough to skew the numbers to take Mercer county into the NY metro..

Old 09-27-2011, 09:06 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
how far is Princeton from Philly? I used to make Friday night runs to South street for a cheesesteak with friends from Lehigh. It's a lilttle over an hour drive with no traffic. just looked it up on the map, Princeton would be 45 miles, Lehigh would be 59 miles.

i just used examples of other schools to point out...schools not directly in the cities themselves aren't associated with them. They are associated with the cities they are in.

I can get from Rittenhouse Sq to Plainsboro (basically Princeton) in 40-45 minutes during rush hour, it is about 23 miles to the Philly line. South Philly is probably closer to 40 miles. Princeton with no traffic can be done with no traffic in 35-40 minutes to Center City.

Sounds about right on Lehigh to Philly (78 to 476 to 76 i imagine)

Old 09-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I guess I don't understand then. I don't see how there can be an argument like this and the make up of the students doesn't matter.

But I always considered it a NJ school I guess.
Princeton & U of P are Ivy Leauge private schools. Duke is a big name private school. (just to keep it on the east coast) In any given year, you could, by accident, have a majority of NYers as students in one of those schools. They are private schools. If you look at a state system (Rutgers, NYU, or UNC) the results are skewed because state residents get a discount. This is why you can not apply that logic to private colleges.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Princeton & U of P are Ivy Leauge private schools. Duke is a big name private school. (just to keep it on the east coast) In any given year, you could, by accident, have a majority of NYers as students in one of those schools. They are private schools. If you look at a state system (Rutgers, NYU, or UNC) the results are skewed because state residents get a discount. This is why you can not apply that logic to private colleges.
I disagree. I think it is relevant, at least a slight bit. I think the results we get will likely not be relevant due to the reason you mentioned. But the idea in general has the potential of being relevant depending on the results. Regardless of why they are there, if 33% of the students of Princeton are from NYC then that will like have a tangible impact on the identity of the school.

Most likely the results would spread out across the country and globe with a fairly high concentration drawing from the eastern seaboard, making any small advantages that any one city has over another in terms of enrollment meaningless. But if a significant majority hails from one city than I think it is relevant. I'd at least be interested in seeing these numbers if someone had them.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I disagree. I think it is relevant, at least a slight bit. I think the results we get will likely not be relevant due to the reason you mentioned. But the idea in general has the potential of being relevant depending on the results. Regardless of why they are there, if 33% of the students of Princeton are from NYC then that will like have a tangible impact on the identity of the school.

Most likely the results would spread out across the country and globe with a fairly high concentration drawing from the eastern seaboard, making any small advantages that any one city has over another in terms of enrollment meaningless. But if a significant majority hails from one city than I think it is relevant. I'd at least be interested in seeing these numbers if someone had them.
That seems a bit circuitous.

This theory of student enrollment is meaningless unless you do a historical study.

In a state school sytem, the results will skew regionally, because if junior doesn't go to his state's schools, for whatever reason, Mom & Dad are more likely to have him in a state school in a neighboring state. It cuts down on the shlepping time & expense. Say the major that Junior wants is not available, as a "name" program in NJ but is available at Penn State, Michigan State, & The University of Nebraska. Penn State is a whole lot more likely to be the target, because Dad doesn't have to take a lot of time off to shlep him & his stuff back & forth.

With private schools, particularly expensive private schools, money is less of a factor.

I went to Philadelphia College of Art. My freshman year the class had a majority from NYC. That changed after freshman year. Many NYers left. The student body was predominently local because , at the time, the school was in the Art School League & was #1. Locals were not going to go elsewhere if they could get in. With the exception of my freshman class having a majority from NY, the school was majority local with the rest spread out from all over the world, for the rest of my 4 years there.

If you took a snapshot of my freshman class, you could have made the arguement, based on student origin, that it was a NY school in Philadelphia.

Is that clear enough?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 AM

65 posts, read 157,956 times
Here (again) is a link to the geographic breakdown of the current freshman class at Princeton, no need to speculate:

Number of Students in the Class of 2015 by Geographic Region

Interesting that although NJ is the state with the largest # of students, #2 is California, not NY or PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City