Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Princeton University is:
a New York area university. 41 19.07%
a Philadelphia area university. 44 20.47%
neither 130 60.47%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1031 View Post
Here (again) is a link to the geographic breakdown of the current freshman class at Princeton, no need to speculate:

Number of Students in the Class of 2015 by Geographic Region

Interesting that although NJ is the state with the largest # of students, #2 is California, not NY or PA.
I think this has a lot to do with two things

1 - the draw of the school - best of the best worldwide really
2 - the affluence and populations of states that will drive enrollment

though with NJ and potentially PA and NY there is some minor over-idex on population but the top 6 states are what one would expect based on those being the most populated (sans the home state of NJ which is among the top 10 or so states in population to begin with)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:56 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
My question wasn't why there would be students from different areas. It was how can you even have this conversation without considering the two areas in question (PA and NY). If it turned out Princeton never had a student from NY would this still be a valid topic? Or if it was very heavily skewed one over the other?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
My question wasn't why there would be students from different areas. It was how can you even have this conversation without considering the two areas in question (PA and NY). If it turned out Princeton never had a student from NY would this still be a valid topic? Or if it was very heavily skewed one over the other?
Because the student body is likely to vary from year to year. It still doesn't make Princeton anything other than a NJ school which claims to be centrally located between two major cities.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Because the student body is likely to vary from year to year. It still doesn't make Princeton anything other than a NJ school which claims to be centrally located between two major cities.
I guess this goes back to my initial confusion as to what is actually being discussed. What would even qualify a school in NJ to be called a NY or Philly school?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Princeton University is clearly a New Jersey school. That goes without saying. That doesn't mean it can't also be a Philadelphia area or NYC area school though. Rutgers is obviously a New Jersey School, But it's Newark Campus is also obviously a New York Area school and it's Camden campus is clearly a Philadelphia area school.

If you think a vote for Philadelphia or New York means that someone is saying it is not a New Jersey school, that is just wrong. No one could make the argument that it's not a New Jersey school. It's physically IN New Jersey. No one is trying to take Princeton away from New Jersey, just trying to determine if it also identifies with one of the nearby large cities.
when i think "New York schools", Rutgers does not even enter my mind. When I think Philly schools, i think Penn, Drexel, Temple, Swarthmore, Arcadia, etc. as was stated above, that doesn't mean the school can't advertise it's accessibility to nearby mahor cities, but it doesn't make it a "philly area" or "new york area" school.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I guess I don't understand then. I don't see how there can be an argument like this and the make up of the students doesn't matter.

But I always considered it a NJ school I guess.
the makeup of the student body doesn't make a school tied to a city...the location does. schools bring jobs and research dollars to an area. princeton brings those to princeton, nj...not philly, not ny. even if all the students at princeton grew up in new york, that doesn't make it more of a new york school than NYU, which is located in NY. demographic isn't really part of the discussion. schools strive for diverse student bodies on purpose.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the makeup of the student body doesn't make a school tied to a city...the location does. schools bring jobs and research dollars to an area. princeton brings those to princeton, nj...not philly, not ny. even if all the students at princeton grew up in new york, that doesn't make it more of a new york school than NYU, which is located in NY. demographic isn't really part of the discussion. schools strive for diverse student bodies on purpose.
With that definition it seems like this entire thread is pointless.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I can get from Rittenhouse Sq to Plainsboro (basically Princeton) in 40-45 minutes during rush hour, it is about 23 miles to the Philly line. South Philly is probably closer to 40 miles. Princeton with no traffic can be done with no traffic in 35-40 minutes to Center City.

Sounds about right on Lehigh to Philly (78 to 476 to 76 i imagine)
lehigh to philly would be rt 309 through quakertown (i think it's 309), to 476, to 76. it doesn't matter to me that you can get to "basically princeton" in slightly less time than you could get to lehigh. i could say "basically lehigh" and say quakertown, which would b 40 minutes-ish. it still doesn't make it a philly area school. it makes it a princeton area school, and a bethlehem (or "lehigh valley") area school. drexel is a philly school.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:21 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
With that definition it seems like this entire thread is pointless.
That's right.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Princeton & U of P are Ivy Leauge private schools. Duke is a big name private school. (just to keep it on the east coast) In any given year, you could, by accident, have a majority of NYers as students in one of those schools. They are private schools. If you look at a state system (Rutgers, NYU, or UNC) the results are skewed because state residents get a discount. This is why you can not apply that logic to private colleges.
you said it better than i did, but that's what i was trying to say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City