Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Center City 162 68.94%
Downtown Los Angeles 73 31.06%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:33 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
I've been there. My Grandmother lives there.

Yea, that's not really what Korea Town LA is.

It's one small strip where Koreatown LA has many.

I bet two blocks of one commercial street in Korea Town beats Annanadle for stores and restaurants. They really pack businesses in here. Not to mention its' 10 times more urban.

And LA has a lot more strips like that in it's suburbs. Mutliple stretches of Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese etc all over the metro. It's pretty incredible.
Technically there are two "Korea towns" in Annandale. I'm not sure how that works, but that's what a Korean-American told me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 08:49 PM

165 posts, read 276,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I think La and Philadelphia are pretty equal downtown wise.
What happened to Downtown Seattle? It's been plagued by low level crime that gives downtown a rough feel to it and intimidation. At the same time, there are lots of growth there, too, like the new Amazon headquarters and lots of new residential towers.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 PM

The retail situation has decidedly gone low scale like City Target, and lots of lower end retail while high end retailers have been flocking to Bellevue. The crime and lower scale retail, along with demographic have conspired to give Downtown Seattle a "ghetto" look and feel, especially around Westlake shopping center and Westlake park and areas by 2nd and 3rd. streets. This can't be healthy and promising scenario for Downtown Seattle. Please explain. I hope things will change and or I'm just simply wrong.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
What I meant by saying Center City was decades ahead of Downtown LA was in built environment. Center City is much more built up and over a longer stretch and connects seamlessly to the surrounding neighborhoods and urban fabric. Downtown LA still has a LONG WAYS to go in built environment.

Also, homeless people? Dead at night? I hope you mean Downtown LA, not Center City.

Next time I'm out I'll take a video on my phone since I can't find any online. Center City is certainly NOT dead at night. IDK how you can judge the nightlife vitality of Center City when you were there for two days with your mom while all of the people who actually live in Philly and experience Center City nightlife frequently, or practically every night, like myself, are telling you it's certainly not dead. Plenty of packed nightlife options. Not all of Center City was dead and rundown, only parts. Rittenhouse and Penn Center and Society Hill and Fitler Square were in great shape. The 90s started the redevelopment of the rest of downtown and the clean up of streets, graffiti, bums, crime, empty lots, etc. There is still some work to be done in the Loft District, Market East, Franklin Square and the area between Arch and Walnut along the Schuylkill River to connect it better to UCity, but it's progressing.
No, I mean Downtown Philadelphia is dead at night, not Downtown LA. My Mother and I was harassed by homeless in Downtown Philadelphia, not Downtown LA. Compared to other cities, large and small, Downtown Philadelphia is quiet for the most part, including the weekends. I do agree the downtown of Philadelphia is well connected with adjacent neighborhoods/districts, which Downtown LA is not.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:22 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
Compared to other cities, large and small, Downtown Philadelphia is quiet for the most part, including the weekends.

Don't be daft.

There are 150 live music venues in the region every weekend. The vast majority are in Center City/University City.Theres also theater,comedy clubs,live arts,gambling, museums, hundreds of restaurants and bars. Stop making $#!* up dude,you are making a fool of yourself.

Here is a video of Center City Philadlephia to give you a general vibe on what it is like.

Fall in Philadelphia Washington Square 10/06/2010. - YouTube

Old 11-16-2013, 10:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
Annandale isn't connected by subway.
Good reminder. I always tend to get Annandale and Falls Church confused with each other sometimes.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 PM

572 posts, read 708,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Technically there are two "Korea towns" in Annandale. I'm not sure how that works, but that's what a Korean-American told me.

I've been there many times. There's only one shopping strip really. Route 236 and it's really not that big. If there's a second one, it's probably pretty minor.

You could put all the Asian areas together in DC and it still wouldn't equal Korea Town in LA. There's 7-8 commercial streets running through Korea Town each one packed with Asian businesses. There's 4-5 indoor shopping malls too catering to Asians. There's hotels that cater to the Korean business travelers and more are on their way.

Yes, it's unique.

And LA has tons of suburban areas like Annandale. It wouldn't stand out at all.

Last edited by PalmsTown; 11-16-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
DTLA is easily the hottest residential neighborhood in LA, so I'm not really sure what you mean by this.
Seriously????????? I'd like to see a source claiming downtown LA to be the 'hottest residential neighborhood'.

Most up and coming and rising real estate costs does not equal the 'hottest'.

God, people need to really think before making these claims.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 PM

281 posts, read 472,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Seriously????????? I'd like to see a source claiming downtown LA to be the 'hottest residential neighborhood'.

Most up and coming and rising real estate costs does not equal the 'hottest'.

God, people need to really think before making these claims.
Then what does?

Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
Then what does?
Find me a link please describing downtown LA as the hottest residential neighborhood in LA and I might change my mind.

I'm sorry but I really take words on CD with a grain of salt, especially from newbies, as I have never met anyone on the street calling downtown LA the hottest neighborhood.

Maybe very and up and coming, but hottest?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City