Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Center City 162 68.94%
Downtown Los Angeles 73 31.06%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 03:29 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times

Advertisements

LOL! Skate videos? No that was a job from this past weekend. I've shot all over DT LA in the past 7 years. Everything from car commercials, to fast food and music videos. Plus I go to Clippers games and Nokia Live. I like it down there a lot.

I like the good over the bad I've seen down there but in a head to head comparison to CC , I like Philly's downtown better based on what I described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 03:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
After living in LA for 3 weeks, I have to say there's a lot more people walking in downtown LA than most think. It's not a top 5 downtown right now, but it will get there.

And I'm from DC, lived in Chicago so I'm not comparing it to Houston or Atlanta.
Yup, downtown LA still has some ways to go but the changes that have taken place are pretty miraculous compared to how it was when I was a kid in the 90's. Spring Street is awesome and so are many other areas. The potential of the area goes deep and the area has a bright future ahead if great decisions can be made.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:38 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
You made your opinion and thats fine. But again about the Arts District and the Urth Cafe. That area was a deserted, warehouse and abandoned warehouse area at one time and there were homeless there too. There were no nice apts or lofts of any kind. No restaurants, no coffee shops, nothing. So when I was there, I toured a condo for sale, went in the brand new grocery store, checked out the Sante Fe apts u/c with its 438 units. This alone will change the face of the Arts District forever. I am thrilled with what's taking place there. And with over 5000 units u/c the area is changing rapidly. Yiu liking Center City I have no problem with that at all.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:43 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
LOL! Skate videos? No that was a job from this past weekend. I've shot all over DT LA in the past 7 years. Everything from car commercials, to fast food and music videos. Plus I go to Clippers games and Nokia Live. I like it down there a lot.

I like the good over the bad I've seen down there but in a head to head comparison to CC , I like Philly's downtown better based on what I described.
Oh I see, I thought that is all you had shot.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:52 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
^
Exactly. There's parts of downtown Chicago that are quiet. There's a few blocks from the Willis Tower that don't have much in terms of urban life.

He picks a street on the fringe of downtown LA. I don't know why, but whatever.

And not all of downtown Philly is this Manhattan like area.

I remember walking not to far from the Comcast Tower and finding myself next to surface parking lots. Nobody else walking around.

It was maybe two blocks north of Market Street I think.

I stayed at hotel near Chinatown and wasn't impressed with the surrounding area. Arch or Race near 13th? Something like that. Not far from the convention center either.

Me and my sister walked down to the eastern portion of Center City (2nd street and Market maybe) one afternoon. It was historic, good architecture, attractive area. But it wasn't teeming with people and restaurants. Not by a long shot.
The parking lots next to Comcast Center are actually controlled by Liberty Property Trust and Comcast themselves. The large lot at 18th and Arch is the future site of a vertical "technology campus" to be built by Comcast and house NBC jobs as well. The parking lot at the Northwest corner 19th and Arch has a proposed 22 floor, 370 foot office building on it. The lot at the Southwest corner of 19th and Arch currently has a 14 floor residential building being built on it.

Other than that, IDK what parking lots you are referring too. There are not many in the core... Most of the parking lots in Center City, Philadelphia are in the Loft District or on the fringes of Center City.

2nd and Market is a neighborhood in Center City known as Old City. It is relatively bustling during the day but certainly not as much as Market, Chestnut, Walnut streets. Old City is more bustling at night.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:57 PM

572 posts, read 708,441 times
That's true for all kinds of cities. La has proposals too for surface lots. The fact is there's lots there now .

Old 11-20-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
That's true for all kinds of cities. La has proposals too for surface lots. The fact is there's lots there now .
Okay... then why did you bring up the surface lots at all? There are far fewer parking lots in Center City than there are in Downtown LA.

There are also blocks upon blocks upon blocks of old warehouses and lowrises in the Arts District, Skid Row, Fashion District, etc. etc.

This is considered Downtown, LA...
http://goo.gl/maps/v9pLW
http://goo.gl/maps/wqqyf

There is nothing even remotely close to that in Center City.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:05 PM

Cause Billy jack is trying to imply cc is this perfect downtown when it's not. It has its own issues. If he's gonna slam downtown lad imperfections we can so same for Philly. Goes both ways

Old 11-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Cause Billy jack is trying to imply cc is this perfect downtown when it's not. It has its own issues. If he's gonna slam downtown lad imperfections we can so same for Philly. Goes both ways
I already said before there are multiple areas of Center City that needs improving. Market East, Franklin Square, The Loft District, Callowhill/Chinatown North, the Area along west Market and the Schuylkill River and the Rail Tracks along JFK Blvd. But with that said, Center City is still decades ahead of Downtown Los Angeles. It is much more built up and connects to the surround neighborhoods seamlessly. Downtown LA has A LOT of work to do. Pretty much only a small section has been somewhat developed. Everything South of 7th Street and West of S Main Street in Downtown LA still needs SIGNIFICANT WORK. Where in Center City, there are really only a few more spots to develop and most of Center City has been developed.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:16 PM

His posts imply something different. Didn't say you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City